• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ask Supes

NBASupes

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

He's trying to get long term security.   He could keep his 30 mill this season but he's 30 years old.  What kind of contract will he get in 2021?

That is the point.  Supes is sharing that the Hawks and Celtics may be talking about an extension to the existing agreement so you are talking 3 more years of 30 mil.  Why wouldn't GH give them more time to have those discussions even if Atlanta was his top choice?

2 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I prefer honesty over BS canned answers myself.

Even if the honest answer is the wrong answer? 

edit: I should clarify. I too would rather have an honest answer. But I too would take that honest answer and it would really impact my opinion about the person that said it. In this case, no passion for the game is a serious red flag. So much so that I’m not taking the guy top 5 at this point. 

Edited by h4wkfan

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I didnt read the whole thing. I just kinda skimmed it, looked like it just gave an inside look at his life and upbringing. 

It is a mixed bag as far as what he says about his passion for the game.  Anything he says about loving the game is not a needle mover.  Every player is expected to say that in the buildup to the draft.  It is when he slips into saying otherwise that hits the "red alert" button for me if I am his agent:

His eyelids are heavy, and his mind wanders. He says he stayed home and went to Georgia rather than a powerhouse like Duke or North Carolina in order to be closer to his newborn nephew. But later he says, "I'm ready to get out of Atlanta." (The Hawks hold the sixth pick in Wednesday's draft.) He says he doesn't think about being the first player taken. He'll be ready when the time comes, but "other than that, I don't even care."

"To be honest," he says, "I can't watch basketball."

He retells the story about the first time he dunked and how it signaled to him that he was talented and could accomplish something he might not have been able to in football, which was his first love. So that's the direction he went, simple as that, hanging up his cleats. "That's all I needed to see," he says.

So when after that did he get into basketball?

"I'm still not really into it," he says. "I love basketball, yeah. It's what I do."

He's not entirely convincing. He says if he were drafted by the NFL tomorrow, he'd let basketball go. "Because you can do anything on the field," he explains. "You can spike the ball. You can dance. You can do all type of disrespectful stuff." In the NBA, he says, "you can't do any of that. You'll get fined."

He goes on to say that he's an aspiring rapper. He's already recorded a few tracks with his older brother Bubba. So, like Damian Lillard? "But I really can rap," he says. "Dame, talking about -- I don't know what he's talking about. I'm rapping like Lil Baby." He says he won't release any songs until he's established in the NBA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

I prefer honesty over BS canned answers myself.

That's cute.  In this case, honesty let everyone know he's not planning on being focused on basketball.  I can't imagine how an NBA team might give that a little side-eye. (sacrcam)

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

It is a mixed bag as far as what he says about his passion for the game.  Anything he says about loving the game is not a needle mover.  Every player is expected to say that in the buildup to the draft.  It is when he slips into saying otherwise that hits the "red alert" button for me if I am his agent:

He's probably still going to #1. Teams will just chalk it up as immaturity. But he's a risky top pick for numerous reasons, for sure.

• Premium Member

I was of the opinion that if we had the opportunity, we couldn't pass up Edwards...even if he wasn't my 1st choice.  After reading that?  He could turn out to be absolutely incredible, but I want absolutely no part of that immature, piss poor, halfhearted attitude in our locker room.  What would it even be like should he reach his potential?  From a guy who has questions about his shot selection and focus?

Just yikes man....

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

He's probably still going to #1. Teams will just chalk it up as immaturity. But he's a risky top pick for numerous reasons, for sure.

Teams been knowing about his maturity or lack thereof maturity for months. All just goes out of the window when they see his physical attributes and natural skills.

• Like 3

• Moderators
Just now, bleachkit said:

If I were a GM I would be extremely concerned about taking him at this point.  This takes what was already a high pick with a much higher than normal risk profile and kicks it up another notch.  He has the physical tools but you are talking about a guy who is all offense but lacks offensive efficiency and now layering on a lack of passion with the vital need for development.  It is a scary proposition.

If I were his agent, I would be banging my head after reading that.

"We are on the eve of the draft!  Why couldn't you just say you love the game and live the game?  How hard is that to remember?!?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I also have to point out Barry Sanders never loved football and admitted it. He only played it because he was really good at it and it gave him a lot of money. When he didn't get to go to a team he wanted to in Detroit he just retired no matter how close he was breaking all time records. Why? He truly didn't care. 

You can't doubt how great Barry Sanders was. I'm not saying Edwards can be that since we ourselves drafted a lazy ass bum in SuperBust Marvin with the same attitude issues. But it is possible to be great in a sport and not really love it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Teams been knowing about his maturity or lack thereof maturity for months. All just goes out of the window when they see his physical attributes and natural skills.

Yea, pretty much. Can only be so picky about personality. It's all about talent, no matter what they say.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

Yea, pretty much. Can only be so picky about personality. It's all about talent, no matter what they say.

Talent without heart and drive is problematic.  He'll never be as great as he could be if he doesn't have the passion for it...see Williams, Marvin - long career in the NBA, no passion, just what he did - his job.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

To me Edwards is a guy with fantastic physical tools who has had very little stability or coaching in his life but still is going to be a top 3 pick.   Give the kid some direction and sky's the limit.

He's 19 and needs a mentor. I can't really fault him for being honest, but that interview tells me he doesn't have anybody advising him. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Don't you wish we'd known that Marvin just wanted to be an entrepreneur before picking him second?   Information is powerful.   Edwards is a guy still growing.  Teams have the resources to help.  

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Talent without heart and drive is problematic.  He'll never be as great as he could be if he doesn't have the passion for it...see Williams, Marvin - long career in the NBA, no passion, just what he did - his job.

This is a lot of professional athletes.  Edwards is still growing as a person. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Talent be damned. I wouldn't take Edwards regardless of his potential.  All of the greats say the same thing: the game is 50% mental.  There's a long list of talented NBA players who fell off or underachieved due to attitude/locker room/mental issues.  We had two of them here in Isaiah Rider and Marvin Williams.  It's just not something that I'd want to have to worry about right out of the gate.  That and he's validating all of the concerns I had about pairing him with Trae.

I get why people like him and I can only agree to disagree.  I'd pass on him, ZERO hesitation, and/or trade down for another young guy with potential.  As much as I've followed the draft over the past 30 years, I don't think I've ever been inclined to such a hard pass. 

We can necro this thread in 10 years and he could have reached the height of his full potential.  I promise you guys I will take the L and be like, "Oh effin' well."

No thanks on that kid.  I've lost all interest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hawkman said:

He's 19 and needs a mentor. I can't really fault him for being honest, but that interview tells me he doesn't have anybody advising him. 

Yea he says in the interview it's time for him to get out of Atlanta. I don't know if the people who have his ear right now are the best for him. This city could either be a huge boon for his development or a huge bust. I still like him for us, his comments display a lack of awareness, not shocking for someone his age.