• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ask Supes

NBASupes

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Wretch said:

Talent be damned. I wouldn't take Edwards regardless of his potential.  All of the greats say the same thing: the game is 50% mental.  There's a long list of talented NBA players who fell off or underachieved due to attitude/locker room/mental issues.  We had two of them here in Isaiah Rider and Marvin Williams.  It's just not something that I'd want to have to worry about right out of the gate.  That and he's validating all of the concerns I had about pairing him with Trae.

I get why people like him and I can only agree to disagree.  I'd pass on him, ZERO hesitation, and/or trade down for another young guy with potential.  As much as I've followed the draft over the past 30 years, I don't think I've ever been inclined to such a hard pass. 

We can necro this thread in 10 years and he could have reached the height of his full potential.  I promise you guys I will take the L and be like, "Oh effin' well."

No thanks on that kid.  I've lost all interest.

I don't blame you. If we traded up I would rather go with Wiseman who could be KAT 2.0 for us. I do think Edwards could be special but I don't want to start off the bat wondering about this kid's motor.

The SuperBust Marv interviews where he talked on and on about playing X-Box and never mentioning work put in to help his game comes to mind. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

In all fairness, Westbrook was the same exact way. He didn't like watching Basketball but he loved to play it.

You negate your first point with your second point.  Westbrook, for all his faults and off the court interests, loves to play basketball.  That's not the case for Edwards.

I've banged on this kid for months now so I'm sure most are sick of hearing it.  The fact of the matter is, he can be an NBA player off talent alone.  But you look for more than that out of a top pick.  It's been proven time and time again that great players are experts at basketball because they study it and appreciate it on a certain level. And have done so from an early age so it's not just youth that's the issue with Edwards.

ETA: Oh crap, saphron's here.  Just kidding saphron.  Carry on ....

Edited by kg01
  • Like 2

• Moderators

I mean there are things in there you don't want to hear but since everyone is focusing on the parts they think are bad here are some others:

The kids retreat to the backyard and play basketball, swatting away mosquitoes and slipping around on a surface that's more dirt than concrete. Limbs from a cluster of mature oak trees hang low over their heads, creating awkward shooting angles. Anthony never can beat his older brothers, but he no longer runs inside and pitches a fit, slamming the door and bawling his eyes out. The games are getting more competitive. He's getting better. He has started working with a local AAU coach, who's teaching him things he didn't think were possible.

One night, he sits in the bedroom he shares with his siblings and takes out a black Sharpie. Something compels him to write on the walls what's been bouncing around in his head:

"Future McDonald's All-American"

"Future NBA player"

So there's some heart and drive there I'd say

Justin Holland, who has been Edwards' trainer since before Edwards entered high school, sat in on the interview and rode up the elevator with him. The two are as close as anyone, and in a phone call a few days later, Holland says he wants to elaborate. He's protective of Edwards, like an older brother or uncle. He insists that Edwards does love basketball, that he does want to be the No. 1 pick, that he does take this stuff seriously.

It's obvious he still has some growing up to do, Holland says; he needs structure, which is why he went to Georgia rather than turn pro and chase a paycheck overseas or in the G League. But what Holland didn't realize -- what he says he'd never heard before our interview -- was how much the loss of his mother and his grandmother changed Edwards, leading him to build what Holland believes is a shell to keep others out.

They'd play pingpong after practice just to do something different. Edwards was awful at first. He'd lose to everyone in the building. But then the perfectionist in him took over, and in about a week, he was hitting forehand and backhand shots, putting serious English on the ball. It turns out that in the same way Edwards studies Kyrie Irving's crossover or James Harden's one-legged side step, he was hunting down pingpong shots on YouTube.

That's the way Edwards consumes basketball, Holland says, in short bursts. When Edwards said he wasn't a fan of basketball, Holland says what he meant is he's not a fan of watching games like he does football. But make no mistake, Holland says, he's a student of the sport, breaking down clips of Bradley Beal's step-back on his iPhone.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
Just now, hawkman said:

Yeah, but 19 is 19. We put microphones in front of kids expecting wisdom and introspection and then have the nerve to be disappointed when they say stuff a 19 year old would say. 

They did the same things to players like Trae Young so what's your point?  Did Trae come across like him?

• Premium Member
Just now, Peoriabird said:

They did the same things to players like Trae Young so what's your point?  Did Trae come across like him?

There are always exceptions. Having a good family and/or a good "team" around helps a lot. I'm not sure Edwards has either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Yeah, but 19 is 19. We put microphones in front of kids expecting wisdom and introspection and then have the nerve to be disappointed when they say stuff a 19 year old would say. 

I dont think it's age thing so much as some guys keep it real, some guys give the canned answers. They honestly dont care what guys say all that much in an off the cuff type thing. If you showed up for practice, put in the work, thats whats important to them. Teams draft talent first and foremost always.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, hawkman said:

There are always exceptions. Having a good family and/or a good "team" around helps a lot. I'm not sure Edwards has either.

You're giving more evident that this guy is broken.  I don't understand!  Anyway, the reasons why someone is the way they are isn't important.  The important take home message is that he doesn't have it like Trae does.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I also have to point out Barry Sanders never loved football and admitted it. He only played it because he was really good at it and it gave him a lot of money. When he didn't get to go to a team he wanted to in Detroit he just retired no matter how close he was breaking all time records. Why? He truly didn't care. 

You can't doubt how great Barry Sanders was. I'm not saying Edwards can be that since we ourselves drafted a lazy ass bum in SuperBust Marvin with the same attitude issues. But it is possible to be great in a sport and not really love it.

Oh my. Major difference.  Barry had the HEART OF A LION.  (Maybe Edward's does...but he didn't exude that). Barry did admit that it was a thing to do but he loved football.  The lions did everything wrong and he stayed until he realized it was a no win proposition to keep doing the same thing over and over.  He gave a lot of himself to some pretty bad teams.

Anyway. I see a kid with raw natural athleticism.  He can be what he wants.  Let's hope he gets the mentoring he needs.

Btw...Barry loved basketball first.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, deester11 said:

Oh my. Major difference.  Barry had the HEART OF A LION.  (Maybe Edward's does...but he didn't exude that). Barry did admit that it was a thing to do but he loved football. 

Plus Barry played because it made his father happy and he was very close to his father.

6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Trae also has his dad who was grooming him constantly since childhood, putting him around NBA circles and behind the scenes.

Trae got access many kids never get.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, kg01 said:

You negate your first point with your second point.  Westbrook, for all his faults and off the court interests, loves to play basketball.  That's not the case for Edwards.

I've banged on this kid for months now so I'm sure most are sick of hearing it.  The fact of the matter is, he can be an NBA player off talent alone.  But you look for more than that out of a top pick.  It's been proven time and time again that great players are experts at basketball because they study it and appreciate it on a certain level. And have done so from an early age so it's not just youth that's the issue with Edwards.

ETA: Oh crap, saphron's here.  Just kidding saphron.  Carry on ....

I don't get that vibe. He always on the court. He's a gym rat.

i'll say this about Edwards, there is a reason he is considered a top pick.

And whatever detriment or can you find against him, keep in mind he was still the best HS prospect in the country and will still be drafted at the top of this draft despite all of those marks.

Kid is resilient and that cannot be overlooked when talking about motivation. I used to play pick up with guys all the time that were "supposed" to make it but 1 life event happened and it changed their whole entire outcome. Family death, grades, off the court trouble, babies, etc... it happens all of the time and ends a lot of dreams. The greatest bball player you never knew is probably working 3rd shift at Walmart somewhere.

For Edwards to be where he is right now gives me more validation of his drive and character, not less.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Westbrook, for all his faults and off the court interests, loves to play basketball.  That's not the case for Edwards.

This is not a factual statement regarding Edwards.  I'm not sure if you are just saying that as a rival or if you actually believe it, but it's not true.  I have first hand knowledge of that with a contact at UGA who has no incentive to BS at this point.   

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

You're giving more evident that this guy is broken.  I don't understand!  Anyway, the reasons why someone is the way they are isn't important.  The important take home message is that he doesn't have it like Trae does.

I can agree with that. But these are two different people with two different situations. In the right environment, Edwards can end up reaching his full potential. That interview was BAD but I like to keep things in perspective. He spoke with no regard for how what he said might affect him financially. To me, that's a lack of maturity and a lack of guidance. Hopefully the maturity comes with age. He'll get the guidance if he goes to a team with decent vets and a good player development program. I'm just saying he's not a lost cause.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

i'll say this about Edwards, there is a reason he is considered a top pick.

And whatever detriment or can you find against him, keep in mind he was still the best HS prospect in the country and will still be drafted at the top of this draft despite all of those marks.

Kid is resilient and that cannot be overlooked when talking about motivation. I used to play pick up with guys all the time that were "supposed" to make it but 1 life event happened and it changed their whole entire outcome. Family death, grades, off the court trouble, babies, etc... it happens all of the time and ends a lot of dreams. The greatest bball player you never knew is probably working 3rd shift at Walmart somewhere.

For Edwards to be where he is right now gives me more validation of his drive and character, not less.

Measurements and Athleticism usual attract scouts and their rankings.  Heart is often overlooked...Just ask Vanvleet and Lowry.  There have been plenty of bust at the top of the draft so you can't just go with rankings to assure success.

• Like 1

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Trae also has his dad who was grooming him constantly since childhood, putting him around NBA circles and behind the scenes.

Trae got access many kids never get.

Definitely true.  Also definitely an asset for Trae that helped him succeed.  Teams don't need to put a societal value or judgment on these players - just judge them for their tools, skills, and projected growth.  If Kobe got special training because his dad was a pro then that isn't a judgment about privilege - just a plus factor in terms of his work ethic, skill level and upside.

• Like 3