The First 41.....The Next 41!

JayBirdHawk

40 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The Hawks are now at the midway point of the season, capping off last night's 41st game with a win bringing our W-L record to 9-32. A win where we saw a glimpse of what our returning trio of Trae Young, Kevin Huerter and John Collins could be.

It's been a rough season, suspensions, injuries, strength of schedules, youth, the aged ones, coaching mishaps, etc - all had their part to play.

My biggest takeways (despite all the excuses above) that could have helped us get more that 9 wins:

• The Veterans - not helpful, actually downright useless. Not in the locker room or on the court.
• The Center Rotation - what's that you ask - yeah me to.
• The Back-Up Point Guard - we needed one.
• The Bench - badly needs upgrading.
• The Defense

The next 41 games begins Friday against the Spurs. 2020 so far has been reasonably good for the Hawks, we are playing better as a unit, just need to learn how to execute the game plan down the stretch.
Travis Schlenk spoke about expectations for the 2nd half of the season here..

https://929thegame.radio.com/articles/travis-schlenk-on-traes-hamstring-and-how-to-grow-the-team

What are you looking to see from this group as currently constructed? (for this exercise, I'm assuming NO SIGNIFICANT trades).

As a team:
Get and Stay Healthy, Reduce TOs, Communicate on defense, Rebound, Reduce the number of blowout games, continued growth and improvement from.our rookies.

Individually:
Trae - reduce TOs, defense, balance running the team with his affinity to score.
Huerter - consistency, he now appears fully healthy
Hunter - Stop dissapearing, increase rebounds.
Reddish - get Lasik, seriously - his shooting needs work.
Collins - I would like to see LP run some plays for him. I don't want him to fall in love with the 3 too much. Keep working on his defense - he's gotten adept at being a weakside shot blocker, work on team and man defense.
Bruno - Welcome back! Hopefully he gets more playing time in the 2nd half of the season, I see no reason to not play him.
Graham - take advantage of every opportunity. I like his game.

Len - get and stay healthy and handle your bunnies.
Bembry - dat boy gotta learn to finish at the rim. He gets there easily then it all goes to hell - bad pass or easy miss.
Parker - get healthy, the jury is still out. Need his bench scoring
Jones - we know he can catch lobs and dunk. Defense and rebound, not so much

Vince - less playing time, please. Hopefully Parker is back soon and he'll soak up most of the PF minutes
Crabbe - I really need him to up his 3pt percentages over the next 3 weeks so we can find a viable tease.
The Aged Ones - Bye Bye

We have 21 days - 11 games before the Trade Deadline. What will our record be?
Home - Pistons, Raptors, Clippers, Wizards, Sixers, Celtics
Away - Spurs, Thunder, Raptors, Mavericks, Timberwolves.

I would like to see us win at least half of our home games and at least 1 on the road.

Thoughts?

What could have been....

The lineup we all wanted to see at the start of the season:

Trae / Kev / Cam / Hunter / JC = +23.4 Net Rating (pts / 100 poss). Ranks 15th in the NBA as a lineup among lineups that have played 40 minutes together. Alas, they have logged 42.8 TOTAL minutes together all season. Barely 1 min/game. Ugh.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

What could have been....

The lineup we all wanted to see at the start of the season:

Trae / Kev / Cam / Hunter / JC = +23.4 Net Rating (pts / 100 poss). Ranks 15th in the NBA as a lineup among lineups that have played 40 minutes together. Alas, they have logged 42.8 TOTAL minutes together all season. Barely 1 min/game. Ugh.

That's tough seeing that in print. Sigh.

Hopefully, going forward they'll be playing together for the next 41.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I agree with all that.  Crabbe has been playing better and he did have a knee procedure during the season.  I think his last 20 games he's shooting like 40% from 3.  And his defense isn't bad so he's coming on FINALLY.  

Like you said, the kids aren't the problem, it's the vets.  I think Cam is going to continue to be really inconsistent the rest of the way but if we can keep Collins, Trae, Heurt and Hunter playing at a high level then good things will happen.   Having Jabari and Bruno available would hopefully get us to a real nba rotation of :

Trae/Goodwin 

Kevin/ Cam / Hunter / Bembry

Collins / Jabari / Len / Bruno

That's the 10 man rotation i'd like to see the rest of the way

Also would like to see Trae continue to assert his leadership but do it in a way that's more positive.  Sometimes it looks like he's just calling guys out on the court vs. encouraging them to learn from their mistakes.   There again i can't hear him but just based on body language. 

Kids are part of the problem if we are being real. At least we can hope they will improve though, can't say the same for the vets though.

15 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

You think any trade that happens gonna be right at the deadline or could it happen any day now? 

Closer to the deadline. Teams are still gathering info. Things aren't fluid. Injuries happen. etc. But the framework is what's happening right now and has for the last month or so. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

What the hell???? Ur Nostradamus! We got a Graham in the Teague deal! Gimme lotto numbers!!! 😆 

Lol I’m still tryna figure out who the hell Graham is from the original post. Forget everything else 

• Haha 4

38 minutes ago, Cwell said:

Lol I’m still tryna figure out who the hell Graham is from the original post. Forget everything else 

Safe to say she meant Goodwin. Or she experiences time like Dr. Manhattan and really was talking about Treveon Graham. 

• Haha 2

Wins: Pistons, Wizards, Sixers, Spurs, Thunder, Maverixcks, Timberwolves

Losses Raptors, Clippers, Celtics, Raptors

7-4 over that 11 game span = 16/36 is my prediction.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Buzzard said:

:good:

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
On 1/17/2020 at 12:00 PM, Buzzard said:

So we are now 1-2...we lost our 2 home games. That's dissapointing.

Next up Clippers at home (Wed) , the OKC on the road (Fri)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So we are now 1-2...we lost our 2 home games. That's dissapointing.

Next up Clippers at home (Wed) , the OKC on the road (Fri)

The Detroit loss sucked. I did not expect us to play as well as we did against Toronto; their defense is really tough. The Clippers are going to be tough also to say the least. Kawhi is getting in rhythm and the Clippers back to back schedule has been a lot easier since the new year. George may not play so there is that. We need to steal one to get on track with my prediction. Crossing my fingers we come to play against the Clippers.