• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Half the season behind us, what FA targets are you most hoping on Schlenk's radar?

sturt

• Premium Member

As you think about FAs, I'll drop this here:

The original 2020-21 cap projection of $116 million could drop as far as $113 million.

Based on ESPN's conversations with team executives, the potential drop in revenue isn't expected to significantly impact the deadline behavior of teams. Salary-cap space is less important this summer than in past years, because only seven teams are currently poised to have salary-cap space above the projected $9.8 million midlevel exception. Also, the talent pool of players available in free agency isn't considered strong.

• Thanks 2

I really cannot say who my favorite three are. Quite a few factors involved and the talent difference is not large

Drummond and Monterzyl but is the cost really worth that much more than Whiteside's will probably be? Then there is Marc Gasol, a down year but his toughness and playoff experience is something our team needs. Ilbaka the same as Gasol for me. Favors and Millsap are not bad depth gets at all.

I like Bertrans,  Bogdanovic, Crowder, and Goran Dragic as well. I think the Raptors have to pay VanFleet but they are not going to like it; and Reggie Jackson could be a microwave type player coming off the bench.

These players can help stretch the floor as well: Evan Fournier, Danilo Gallinari, and Joe Harris.

I like a lot of the depth that can be had in this class and do not see any wrong moves for the above players; unless they cost us to much cap space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hace 3 horas, txsting dijo:

Christian Wood continues to impress me.  Beautiful game, and the metrics are very kind to him as well.

Wood is by some metrics the best player on Pistons roster, I was praying we would have signed him this year, he would be tremendous fit with John Collins.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I like a lot of the depth that can be had in this class

Me, too.

And that's the tempting thing--Schlenk really could conceivably overnight assemble one of the deepest rosters in the league. But that seems to be getting carts before the horses. Extending the analogy, those are carts you want to add only after you have all of your horses figured out because horses are so scarce and so expensive, yet so irrefutably consequential to the end purpose.

In my dreams, things turn unbearably sour in LA over the course of the next 3-4 months for Davis, even as our young-uns begin to gel like never before and force everyone to take notice.

On my radar?

So, I really like the idea of having a defense-first PG on the roster, so I'm paying attention to Kris Dunn.

I really like the idea of having a mature, accomplished, senior presence on the roster, so I'm paying attention to our old friend Millsap.

And I still really like my pet cat from a few drafts ago, Dario Saric... and reflecting on Schlenk's admission that he looks first for guys who can show a history of performing the three fundamentals at a high level--dribble, pass, shoot--I wouldn't bet against the idea that he's a Schlenk pet cat.

But those are three that just showed up even since I submitted the OP.

My radar is especially sensitive to gaining mid-20s-ish hustle players who have shown grit in the paint, but also have been known to be able to cover the outside as well.

So, Harrell, I see you.

So, Favors... Atlanta transplant... wanna come home?... I see you.

And I don't think anyone's uttered Jerami Grant's name yet, but Jerami, I see you, too.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, sturt said:

Me, too.

And that's the tempting thing--Schlenk really could conceivably overnight assemble one of the deepest rosters in the league. But that seems to be getting carts before the horses. Extending the analogy, those are carts you want to add only after you have all of your horses figured out because horses are so scarce and so expensive, yet so irrefutably consequential to the end purpose.

In my dreams, things turn unbearably sour in LA over the course of the next 3-4 months for Davis, even as our young-uns begin to gel like never before and force everyone to take notice.

On my radar?

So, I really like the idea of having a defense-first PG on the roster, so I'm paying attention to Kris Dunn.

I really like the idea of having a mature, accomplished, senior presence on the roster, so I'm paying attention to our old friend Millsap.

And I still really like my pet cat from a few drafts ago, Dario Saric... and reflecting on Schlenk's admission that he looks first for guys who can show a history of performing the three fundamentals at a high level--dribble, pass, shoot--I wouldn't bet against the idea that he's a Schlenk pet cat.

But those are three that just showed up even since I submitted the OP.

My radar is especially sensitive to gaining mid-20s-ish hustle players who have shown grit in the paint, but also have been known to be able to cover the outside as well.

So, Harrell, I see you.

So, Favors... Atlanta transplant... wanna come home?... I see you.

And I don't think anyone's uttered Jerami Grant's name yet, but Jerami, I see you, too.

It really depends on what Schlenk thinks of the core. He has already stated he missed the mark on our depth; I think he will address it. So long as he keeps a max open for 2021, I don't see a issue here with adding two or three solid depth pieces.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

So long as he keeps a max open for 2021, I don't see a issue here with adding two or three solid depth pieces.

Right. But we know from experience that's so much easier said in January than done in July.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, sturt said:

Right. But we know from experience that's so much easier said in January than done in July.

Yes it is easier said than done for all teams. I mean the Lakers missed out on Russell, Kemba, and Rubio to name a few heehawing around with Leonard. That should be proof enough that anyone can miss their mark.

The biggest things we have going for us is the small number of teams with substantial cap and the pretty large pool of role players. Who are mostly experienced vets as well.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I'm out on Drummond.  I just think he adds anything to a team.  Demands a big salary at 30 mil and look where his team is.  He dont move the needle.  

I would like Adams but I dont think we will get him.  

Just now, Vol4ever said:

I'm out on Drummond.  I just think he adds anything to a team.  Demands a big salary at 30 mil and look where his team is.  He dont move the needle.  

I would like Adams but I dont think we will get him.  

I agree, Drummond wants to much. Charlotte may pay him and the Pistons might also.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Could anyone imagine if we got Ibaka, Gasol, to go along with Jackson or Dragic? I think that would be a coup.

Carts, in my book. All carts. Older carts, at that.

Need to see more evidence first that we have at least one other horse aside from Trae already on the roster.

Collins, it goes w/o saying, is the leading contender right now. But it's not hard for me to imagine... yes, optimist that I am... Hunter or Reddish or both... having a handful of big games in the last 25 that suggest a Trae-like season in 20-21.

24 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Yep.

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, sturt said:

Carts, in my book. All carts. Older carts, at that.

Need to see more evidence first that we have at least one other horse aside from Trae already on the roster.

Collins, it goes w/o saying, is the leading contender right now. But it's not hard for me to imagine... yes, optimist that I am... Hunter or Reddish or both... having a handful of big games in the last 25 that suggest a Trae-like season in 20-21.

Yep.

I doubt either of them will ever have a Trae-like season.  They can be very good without ever doing that.  I just want a suggestion that they will be positive value next season!

• Like 2

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Could anyone imagine if we got Ibaka, Gasol, to go along with Jackson or Dragic? I think that would be a coup.

All I'm seeing is old, old and older. 

Pass, that too many oldies on this roster.

Per Schlenk on local radio this afternoon:

He's looking for guys in the 24-28 range as FAs or via trade (guys who are also stuck on benches that have some potential).

I'll try and find the interview and post it.

• Like 2