• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Half the season behind us, what FA targets are you most hoping on Schlenk's radar?

sturt

16 minutes ago, sturt said:

Carts, in my book. All carts. Older carts, at that.

Need to see more evidence first that we have at least one other horse aside from Trae already on the roster.

Collins, it goes w/o saying, is the leading contender right now. But it's not hard for me to imagine... yes, optimist that I am... Hunter or Reddish or both... having a handful of big games in the last 25 that suggest a Trae-like season in 20-21.

Yep.

I like the idea of seeing what they can do with a real set of NBA vets around them more than I do struggling every night to find someone else who can make a shot.

Even Trae has bad nights as witnessed against the Raptors. With Len, Bruno out and Trae and Huerter missing everything in sight, a couple of pieces like Jackson or Dragic, Ibaka, or Gasol could have made all the difference in  the world.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, AHF said:

I doubt either of them will ever have a Trae-like season.  They can be very good without ever doing that.  I just want a suggestion that they will be positive value next season!

The point being... failing someone else proving to be a horse, Schlenk has to save all of that cap space for the 2021 pool so he can pursue two definitive horses.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

All I'm seeing is old, old and older. 

Pass, that too many oldies on this roster.

🤣 Quit knocking us old people. I am not talking about signing them until the end of time. Three years and a team option. Just make sure the math is done right and we have a slot open in 2021.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, sturt said:

The point being... failing someone else proving to be a horse, Schlenk has to save all of that cap space for the 2021 pool so he can pursue two definitive horses.

You have higher expectations than me for our ability to attract max free agents. I am just hoping for one and for the Hawks, that is a lot to hope for.

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Per Schlenk on local radio this afternoon:

He's looking for guys in the 24-28 range as FAs or via trade (guys who are also stuck on benches that have some potential).

I'll try and find the interview and post it.

Schlenk and Koonin Radio Interviews:

https://929thegame.radio.com/media/audio-channel/steve-koonin-with-dukes-bell-1-30-20

Screenshot_20200130-183710_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Thanks 4

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

You have higher expectations than me for our ability to attract max free agents. I am just hoping for one and for the Hawks, that is a lot to hope for.

1. I buy-in to the idea that it's really attractive to get to play beside a point guard like Trae is proving to be.

2. I also buy-in to the idea that we've arrived in a new era where it's especially attractive to guys to get to go to a new team alongside a favored friend.

3. Can't win the lottery if you can't afford to buy a ticket. We can afford to buy two. Given the natural limitations on how many others can buy even just one, and that, while ours is not an iconic franchise like a Celtics or Lakers, we're also not a last resort franchise, at least not anymore... I feel safe to hope.

4. I also feel like Schlenk has more or less pointed to this eventuality all along. And that he's going to be extra-cautious not to make bad FA deals while at the same time making the valid point that the best deals are, truly, the top tier guys who are no-doubt max-ers.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I listened to it, he did say young vets. In my mind that is players who are finishing up their 2nd deal and are UFA'a or he does a trade. He also said there was some out there. There are very few teams who have the luxury these days of letting a great prospect sit on the bench though.

At least now, I can try and narrow it down.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have gone through a list of free agents and if Schlenk's primary criteria is 27 and under, the pickings are slim.

Alphabetical order and their ages:

Davis Bertans 27, Andre Drummond 26, Bogdan Bogdanovic 27, Evan Fournier 27, Jerami Grant 25, Monterzyl Harrell 26, Brandom Ingram 22, Otto Porter Jr. 26, Dario Saric 25, Fred VanVleet 25

I really want at least one or two older players on this team who have winning playoff experience. Hopefully that is Plan B, once plan A is exhausted.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

On 31/1/2020 at 0:19, JayBirdHawk dijo:

Per Schlenk on local radio this afternoon:

He's looking for guys in the 24-28 range as FAs or via trade (guys who are also stuck on benches that have some potential).

I'll try and find the interview and post it.

That sounds like Christian Wood and Noel right? I doubt we do it though, never go for guys I see with potential

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

That sounds like Christian Wood and Noel right? I doubt we do it though, never go for guys I see with potential

I did not hear him say ages specifically. Maybe I missed it though. Noel and Wood should be added to my list if so.

12 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

I wonder if Schlenk would be willing to go into the 15-20 million a year range for a Center like Noel who has never really proven himself as a starter. I think it would take something like that to steal him away from OKC. Noel seems to like it there, so 10 million or so and I think Presti keeps him.

Edited by Buzzard

hace 20 minutos, Buzzard dijo:

I have gone through a list of free agents and if Schlenk's primary criteria is 27 and under, the pickings are slim.

Davis Bertans 27, Andre Drummond 26, Bogdan Bogdanovic 27, Evan Fournier 27, Jerami Grant 25, Monterzyl Harrell 26, Brandom Ingram 22, Otto Porter Jr. 26, Dario Saric 25, Fred VanVleet 25

I really want at least one or two older players on this team who have winning playoff experience. Hopefully that is Plan B, once plan A is exhausted.

From that list I like Bertans, Drummond and Bogdanovic as I think we don’t have a shot at FVV and Ingram and Harrell do not fit Collins, we need some real size. 

I am fine going after players on the 24-28 range, however Schlenk should not underestimate the importance of having a veteran presence like Ibaka, he is playing really well, probably the best fit out there on bigs for us and his playoff experience could be gold for us, I think he would be a fantastic addition.

• Like 2

hace 2 minutos, Buzzard dijo:

I wonder if Schlenk would be willing to go into the 15-20 million a year range for a Center like Noel who has never really proven himself as a starter. I think it would take something like that to steal him away from OKC. Noel seems to like it there, so 10 million or so and I think Presti keeps him.

He is UFA and OKC cannot even offer him 10 million, they are over the cap. I think we could have him for 6-10 million range, remember nobody offer him anything this year.

Wood should be even cheaper. I really think we could have both for 15 million outbidding anyone. We could even wait on FA and probably sign both much cheaper, remember this summer after 3-4 weeks they were still unsigned.

4 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

From that list I like Bertans, Drummond and Bogdanovic as I think we don’t have a shot at FVV and Ingram and Harrell do not fit Collins, we need some real size. 

I am fine going after players on the 24-28 range, however Schlenk should not underestimate the importance of having a veteran presence like Ibaka, he is playing really well, probably the best fit out there on bigs for us and his playoff experience could be gold for us, I think he would be a fantastic addition.

I like the Ibaka fit to. I also like Gasol provided he is cheap. Say no more than 10 million a year.

5 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

He is UFA and OKC cannot even offer him 10 million, they are over the cap. I think we could have him for 6-10 million range, remember nobody offer him anything this year.

Wood should be even cheaper. I really think we could have both for 15 million outbidding anyone. We could even wait on FA and probably sign both much cheaper, remember this summer after 3-4 weeks they were still unsigned.

I am pretty sure they have his bird rights since he has been there two seasons now. Not matching rights but the rights to offer him a contract. Their real problem is the luxury tax and that is why barring a Adams or CP3 trade for a expiring contract, I think he could be stolen for a decent contract offer.

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Buzzard said:

He was also talking about trading for younger vets, guys stuck on benches with potential.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Then again, @KB21, point me to any player likely to be in the 2020 FA pool who will be worthy of being the center of ATL free agency activity, and that key acquisition who will, on his own, be a difference-maker.

I see a lot of potential supporting cast types. I see no lead role candidates. That would seem to be the opinion of most.

That's the intriguing question on the horizon. Dive in and build perhaps one of the deeper rosters in the league, and counting on the "young core" to continue to develop into star-dom.... or... keep the proverbial powder dry, and hold on for July 2021.

Circling back to Giles, he would seem on the surface to be the kind of acquisition Schlenk has looked to make throughout his tenure as GM.

• Like 3