• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Half the season behind us, what FA targets are you most hoping on Schlenk's radar?

sturt

16 minutes ago, sturt said:

Then again, @KB21, point me to any player likely to be in the 2020 FA pool who will be worthy of being the center of ATL free agency activity, and that key acquisition who will, on his own, be a difference-maker.

I see a lot of potential supporting cast types. I see no lead role candidates. That would seem to be the opinion of most.

That's the intriguing question on the horizon. Dive in and build perhaps one of the deeper rosters in the league, and counting on the "young core" to continue to develop into star-dom.... or... keep the proverbial powder dry, and hold on for July 2021.

Circling back to Giles, he would seem on the surface to be the kind of acquisition Schlenk has looked to make throughout his tenure as GM.

I’d have to look at the list, but I would be signing several supporting cast types so this cycle of losing can be broken.  I’m also trading off next year’s draft picks for immediate help.

• Premium Member

10 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I would be signing several supporting cast types

That's going to be a necessity anyhow.

Half our roster is finishing a contract this off-season.

The question becomes... how expensive, or not, the supporting cast will be.

22 minutes ago, sturt said:

That's going to be a necessity anyhow.

Half our roster is finishing a contract this off-season.

The question becomes... how expensive, or not, the supporting cast will be.

Looking at the list, I can already tell you that getting Paul Millsap back would be my top priority in free agency.

• Moderators

Sap and Collins aren't the most natural pairing.  Seems like Sap would be a 6th man for us as I can't imagine us sending Collins to the bench.  Maybe we'd play them together?  He would be a great model of professionalism and upgrade the defense, though.  We'd just need to accept his peak years are clearly behind him.  Those 20 PER seasons are now 17 PER seasons.  He would also need to accept his peak earning years are behind him.  He is a high quality, high character vet and he will be 35 next season so think more current Marc Gasol for impact.

• Like 1

We have several needs that are easy to pin point. No particular order.

1- One or two shooters to help out our woeful three point shooting. Currently last ( 30th ) in the league at 32.4%: but our coach loves shooting threes as we rank 8th in attempts. So this needs to be fixed 🤣

2- A center and back up power forward to help out with our woeful rebounding. Crazy buts it true, we are currently 24th across the board in all three categories: Offensive, Defensive, and Total rebounding.

3- A BU PG. I have zero problem with signing Teague for a few years; this is probably the hardest position to fill out of next seasons FA crop. Its probably why Schlenk chased Teague in the 1st place.

I think we could sign 3 or 4 players out of this free agent crop to help us; and since we have so many needs, I have zero problem with BPA in the draft once again.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Thanks 3

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

1- One or two shooters to help out our woeful three point shooting. Currently last ( 30th ) in the league at 32.4%: but our coach loves shooting threes as we rank 8th in attempts. So this needs to be fixed 🤣

2- A center and back up power forward to help out with our woeful rebounding. Crazy buts it true, we are currently 24th across the board in all three categories: Offensive, Defensive, and Total rebounding.

3- A BU PG. I have zero problem with signing Teague for a few years; this is probably the hardest position to fill out of next seasons FA crop. Its probably why Schlenk chased Teague in the 1st place.

I think we could sign 3 or 4 players out of this free agent crop to help us; and since we have so many needs, I have zero problem with BPA in the draft once again.

1. I think that problem will actually solve itself, though I always endorse more better shooting whenever possible. But we have some really good shooters who are very likely to improve.

2. Yes.

3. Yes, but I have a huge problem with signing any back-up who isn't a defensive asset, and a "huge-r" problem with signing someone who is a defensive liability... ie, Teague, nothing personal, it's just business. If we go the FA route, I'm into Kris Dunn.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sturt said:

1. I think that problem will actually solve itself, though I always endorse more better shooting whenever possible. But we have some really good shooters who are very likely to improve.

2. Yes.

3. Yes, but I have a huge problem with signing any back-up who isn't a defensive asset, and a "huge-r" problem with signing someone who is a defensive liability... ie, Teague, nothing personal, it's just business. If we go the FA route, I'm into Kris Dunn.

Someone ( Bulls, Knicks ) may be looking at Dunn as a possible starter. Coby White is not a PG. That is what I meant about a weak class for BU PG. I have no problem with Dunn but we obviously shouldn't pay him starter money.

Just now, sturt said:

@Buzzard, right.

Which is why I probably prefer to go the draft route if Haliburton's still there for us.

I agree; its also why I said BPA for our upcoming draft. I still like Teague as a vet backup even if we take Haliburton.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, sturt said:

Why's that?

He constantly talks about acquiring players that fit the timeline and i think even said 24-28 year old vets.   

Personally i think it's time we think about getting prime role players rather than guys on the edge of their nba careers.   I love Sap but can't imagine he wants to come back here anyway.  

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, Buzzard said:

corrected after trade 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
On 2/4/2020 at 9:56 AM, macdaddy said:

He constantly talks about acquiring players that fit the timeline and i think even said 24-28 year old vets.   

Personally i think it's time we think about getting prime role players rather than guys on the edge of their nba careers.   I love Sap but can't imagine he wants to come back here anyway.  

I have no quotes to suggest otherwise, but I'd be surprised if this experience of having Uncle Vince on the team hasn't persuaded him to always try to have that kind of guy somewhere on the roster. I'd like to think that Sap's age will make him decidedly more affordable than he normally would be, and thus, a viable option.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

Capella acquisition, to me, predicts we might spend big on one FA this off-season, but probably not two. Rather, we'll wait to see how things play out with next year's sophomores, and otherwise to see what hole might need to be filled in July 2021's FA cohort.

• Like 1