• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Half the season behind us, what FA targets are you most hoping on Schlenk's radar?

sturt

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

Our revised salary spreadsheet, assuming no late news...

2020-02-06_1628.png

Are you sure your amounts are correct for Capela? I know he has incentives but i think they are supposed to count towards the cap hit.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, sturt said:

Source is EarlyBirdRights.com. BasketballInsiders was my go-to, but someone persuaded me that this site is quicker, and has the same accuracy.

Ok. Here's what I found on the incentives.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/rahathuq/2018/08/20/the-incentives-in-rockets-center-clint-capelas-contract/amp/

• Premium Member

I just don't really see any difference maker at a good age that would be worth a near-max contract in this 2020 FA cohort, though I admit the thought is growing on me that DeRozan could be a booster rocket our 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons fortunes, and maybe even our 2022-23 season. He's rightfully criticized for his lack of range, but that's about the only thing I can find to criticize about him. The rest of his game is top tier.

The problem, of course, is that we have 3 young wings for whom we have some very high hopes, and whose floor time would be significantly impacted... and thus, whose development would be slowed as a consequence.

So, I'm reluctant, but not dismissive on that one.

My favorite idea by far right now is to think of Sap coming back. To me, that's an ideal situation. He would be the cool, collected, elder-statesman voice, but one who still has something in the tank to offer for at least a year or two.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Yeah, this appears to be a PG-rich draft at the top, so it's reasonable to target one of those.

If first priority is to go get a back-up SF, I want to see more of a SF/PF type.

Jerami Grant is my primary target.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Would you say it's a foregone conclusion that we will make a full max offer to RFA Ingram, and thinking about our last big deal free agency drama, hope we play the BOS role and NOP plays the ATL role in the saga?

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Would you say it's a foregone conclusion that we will make a full max offer to RFA Ingram, and thinking about our last big deal free agency drama, hope we play the BOS role and NOP plays the ATL role in the saga?

Why would we want to do that?  Signing Ingram to that contract will be a bad move 2 years down the road when you will have to attach an asset to get rid of that contract.

The biggest issue we have is minutes. 

PG - Trae -33-35 MPG/ Backup PG(Teague or etc) 15-21 MPG/ 3rd PG (Goodwin) - 0-12 MPG = 48 MPG

SG - Kevin - 30 MPG/ CAM 15 MPG/ 3rd SG 3- 18 MPG = 48 MPG

SF - Hunter - 30 MPG/ CAM 15 MPG/3rd SF 3-18 MPG = 48 MPG

PF - Collins - 30 MPG/ Backup PF 15-21 MPG/ 3rd PF 0-15 = 48 MPG

C - Capela - 28 MPG/ Dedmon 20 MPG/ Bruno 0-15 MPG= 48 MPG

We only have:

15-21 Backup PG mins available.

3 MPG for both 3rd string SG/SF since Cam splits mins at both spots or they are interchangeable (CAM/KEV/DAH). 

15-21 MPG at backup PF

No mins available at center. 

For me, it's clear we need to target PG's in the draft. This draft is extremely strong top heavy wise for PG's. 

And sign a backup PF - The free agency market for 2020 is only strong for backup PFs. Weak just about everywhere else.

Hawks need to pull a Knicks and sign a vet PF to a large one year contract so we would have a max slot for 2021.  

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

PG - Trae -33-35 MPG/ Backup PG(Teague or etc) 15-21 MPG/ 3rd PG (Goodwin) - 0-12 MPG = 48 MPG

We only have:

3 MPG for both 3rd string SG/SF since Cam splits mins at both spots or they are interchangeable (CAM/KEV/DAH). 

15-21 MPG at backup PF

For me, it's clear we need to target PG's in the draft. This draft is extremely strong top heavy wise for PG's. 

And sign a backup PF - The free agency market for 2020 is only strong for backup PFs. Weak just about everywhere else.

Hawks need to pull a Knicks and sign a vet PF to a large one year contract so we would have a max slot for 2021.  

I want a veteran at both back up PF and back up PG, as well as a veteran wing that can potentially limit time for a younger player there.  Stash the draft pick at College Park or overseas.  

I am ok drafting a PG, my preferences would be Hampton, Halliburton, Hayes or Anthony. At PF then on fee agency I like Wood or Bertans. I have been calling for Wood already 2 seasons, Detroit is going to give him an opportunity and he is going to show. You will see how he performs.

alternatively we could go drafting someone like Okungwu or Toppin and bringing back Teague or signing Napier or other PG. 

For the wing I think the best option is to go for Free agency, I like Crowder, Joe Harris and Korkmaz. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

We only have:

15-21 MPG at backup PF

This! Specially the last part about pulling a Knicks. Usually I don’t agree with anything front office Knicks but it works out perfect for us.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 6:23 AM, sturt said:

My favorite idea by far right now is to think of Sap coming back. To

I like this a lot. It would be the role of Vince with a bit more left in the tank. SAP cryogenically freezes 🥶 himself for pleasure so he should be good for another 2-4 years possibly.. 🤔 Then again he has played undersized and taken a beating all his career.

Why wouldn’t I want one of my Hawk fav of all time to come in and set that example. Sign me up at a good contract. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

We only have:

15-21 MPG at backup PF

To be clear, I'd be surprised to land Ingram, but in the hypothetical that we did that, he would get those hypothetical 30 Hunter minutes.

Hunter, then essentially picks up Vince Carter minutes, mostly at 3, and a few of Jabari Parker's at 4.

Cam and Huerter dog fight for the majority of SG minutes.

I could be looking at this wrong, but after arguing with myself for a good part of this week, if the opportunity is there (not a given), we are best to come out of FA 2020 with one top tier FA. But that's just it. There's not really much likely opportunity. Davis isn't likely to leave LAL. Ingram isn't likely to leave NOP. And even in the prime of his career, DeRozan would probably fall a notch short of top tier status... but/and having said that, at 31 his situation does present some intrigue b/c he and his agent may be predisposed to prefer a new contract this summer instead of competing with the others on the market the following summer.

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

We only have:

15-21 MPG at backup PF

I agree with your assessment but I view the Skal signing as a tryout for backup PF and I also see Bruno having potential there. In FAcy there are a LOT of guys you are right and the Hawks have a lot of money to throw at the right guy if he will take it for a year. They can pretty much cherry pick, 

PG - I hope Tyrese Halliburton.  If Hawks get a top 3 pick may even be able to trade down to get him and a future pick. 

PF - 

• Like 3