2020 Draft Talk

KB21

I do like Okoro’s potential.  He’s got a great body and good skill level.  He doesn’t look for his offense at all.  The basis for a strong perimeter game is there for him.  He’s as good as anyone they could get at the top of this draft.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fodder for discussion .....

https://www.si.com/college/2020/03/19/ncaa-college-basketball-best-players-2020

@AHF one thing that drew my attention was Hagans.  Think he could be a low-key option as backup guard?  Seems like an 'intangibles' guy sorta like Marcus (not so)Smart with a defensive profile.

I'm just gonna skip over #50.  Can't be my top-5(ish) pick and barely break 50 on a list like this.

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Fodder for discussion .....

https://www.si.com/college/2020/03/19/ncaa-college-basketball-best-players-2020

@AHF one thing that drew my attention was Hagans.  Think he could be a low-key option as backup guard?  Seems like an 'intangibles' guy sorta like Marcus (not so)Smart with a defensive profile.

I'm just gonna skip over #50.  Can't be my top-5(ish) pick and barely break 50 on a list like this.

I think he will be a good defensive guard off the bench.  Don't think he'll bust out to be anything big in the league.  Someone I'd look at in the second round if he makes it to our pick(s) there.

• Like 1

Hagans is fast as hell with some size but he is indeed still learning to shoot. Would have to measure those options we are already dealing with at point. He certainly abused other SEC points with his foot speed this year though so a cat to keep in mind.

• Premium Member
On 3/4/2020 at 11:39 PM, marco102 said:

Tyrese Haliburton - Completely forgot about him in my post above.

Scratching my head on this guy's comment that Haliburton's release is slow. Exact opposite. I've rarely seen anyone receive the ball and get it launched quicker.

I'm all in on this one. Can't imagine being gifted two drafts in a row with my choice getting called, though, so maybe I need to anoint someone else.

9 hours ago, sturt said:

Scratching my head on this guy's comment that Haliburton's release is slow. Exact opposite. I've rarely seen anyone receive the ball and get it launched quicker.

I'm all in on this one. Can't imagine being gifted two drafts in a row with my choice getting called, though, so maybe I need to anoint someone else.

His release is slow compared to the average NBA release. 

• Premium Member

@marco102 we disagree in a big way.

No. He receives the ball, and it's like he flips it out of his hands immediately. There is no wind-up whatsoever to his shot, barely any knee bend. It's crazy to me that he can shoot it from deep like that because there just doesn't seem to be enough launch torque to get it there with the arc he gives it.

I think the scout here in this YouTube post is not a scout at all.

Weird draft. I'd value star upside most of all, we got cap for everything else. I think my board is:

1. Okungwu

2. Edwards/ Ball / Haliburton

Okungwu can be EXACTLY what we need defensively next to Collins, and his J looks workable to me. Very underrated upside I think, that kid is gonna be good. I know we have Capela but this guy could be a lot better.

Ball's handle and passing are legit, needs a lotta work elsewhere. He's like Trae minus the J or Ja minus the athleticism (which might still be a good player). May be able to play alongside Trae.

Haliburton I'm warming up to, but don't see star upside. Needs to fix that jumper or its gonna get swatted.

Edwards strikes me as someone who will always be a little inefficient due to lack of burst, but otherwise is very talented all around. Potentially a good fit for us.

I'm not super impressed with Wiseman, Obi, Deni, Hayes, lotta other folks. I think Cole Anthony shows nice flashes, don't think he's a fit.

We gotta nail this pick!

41 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Wiseman>Okongwu>Toppin 

I wouldn’t be mad at any plus Okoro. 

I keep going over this draft in my head and read a few more mocks last night. A lot of the pundits are having us drop as far as 8th. I think some of that is they are hoping we don't have a shot at anymore top five talent; or possibly trading down and getting another great pick in 2021.

This is what I came up with last night. We end up picking 3rd and both Edwards and Wiseman go 1 and 2. We take Ball at 3. Do we trade him right away or go with this as a lineup in 2020/21?

This list is not in a value based order. It is in a order to show the versatility and depth.

PG Trae

PG/SG Ball

SG/SF Reddish

SG/SF Huerter

SF/PF Hunter

PF/C Collins

C Capela

Secondary Reserves:

Dedmon, Skal, Fernando. We would need three more players to fill out a 13 man roster.

I think any team that wants Balls' worse nightmare is Schlenk has a shot at him. The above is a GSW Death lineup if I ever saw one; just pencil in a few signees. Secondly, Ball is going to only get better and with that his trade value is going to sky rocket in my opinion.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 3

Killian Hayes made it official though pretty much everyone seemed to already know he would. Actually did not know his Dad played at PSU.

Point guard Killian Hayes, the No. 10 prospect in the ESPN Top 100 who plays in Germany, has submitted paperwork to the league office to make himself eligible for the 2020 NBA draft, he told ESPN on Friday. "I am officially declaring for the NBA draft," Hayes wrote via email. "I have sent in paperwork to the league office and I'm very excited." Hayes is averaging 12.0 points and 5.6 assists per game for Ratiopharm Ulm. He has shot 59% from inside the arc in the Bundesliga and EuroCup.

• Like 2

Here is a big reach for a draft day trade but I like the player and think he fits the mold of players Schlenk chases in the middle rounds. If we traded down as far as 15 would it be a big reach to draft Jalen Smith out of Maryland. He checks the boxes as a potential Stretch 4 who also plays defense. Right now his stock is moving up and he is rated in the early twenties in some mocks. Stats this season:

15.5 PTS, 10.5 TRB, 2.4 BLK, .538 FG%, .368 3P%, .750 FT%

6'10" and 7'1" WS

The rebounds, blocks, 3P%, and FT% jump off the page for me. He was also a key player for Maryland winning a share of the Big 10 title.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Thanks 1

Somebody sell me on Toppin.  Looks like a good college player, future roleguy at the NBA level.

On Ball, they can't ignore what happened in the lockerroom this season when they added volatile, me-first(ish) guys.  Ball could be that on steroids.  I like the idea of him as a player, but I don't think the fit is there personality-wise.

I still want us to trade out or at least trade down for a guy like Hayes.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kg01 said:

Somebody sell me on Toppin.  Looks like a good college player, future roleguy at the NBA level.

On Ball, they can't ignore what happened in the lockerroom this season when they added volatile, me-first(ish) guys.  Ball could be that on steroids.  I like the idea of him as a player, but I don't think the fit is there personality-wise.

I still want us to trade out or at least trade down for a guy like Hayes.

Sell you in Toppin. Ok here it goes, he’s an athletic as hell physical as hell dude whose got a smooth all around game for a big and doesn’t mind bumping in the paint. I like him but I like Onyeka a bit better. I feel with Okongwu you get a guy whose a bit more skilled that Toppin and a better decision maker and playmaker for others overall. 

I like Okongwu and Okoro for us. I’d definitely take Toppin or Wiseman as well. I’m personally not high on Ball as others and don’t want a part of Lavar 😆. Outside of these guys, I’m down for a trade but it better net us a guy that can move the needle.

Having said all that, Collins and Toppin getting oops 😬 upside ur head passes from Trae... drooling 🤤 

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Sell you in Toppin. Ok here it goes, he’s an athletic as hell physical as hell dude whose got a smooth all around game for a big and doesn’t mind bumping in the paint. I like him but I like Onyeka a bit better. I feel with Okongwu you get a guy whose a bit more skilled that Toppin and a better decision maker and playmaker for others overall. 

I like Okongwu and Okoro for us. I’d definitely take Toppin or Wiseman as well. I’m personally not high on Ball as others and don’t want a part of Lavar 😆. Outside of these guys, I’m down for a trade but it better net us a guy that can move the needle.

Having said all that, Collins and Toppin getting oops 😬 upside ur head passes from Trae... drooling 🤤 

Who would you compare his game to currently in the league.

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Ah spud.  So you "sell" me by immediately tellin' me like 6 dudes you want better?  Thas' a bold move, Cotton.

🤠

Seriously though, I think what you're illustrating is what I've said all along.  I hope we trade the ever-lovin' heyul outta this pick.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Who would you compare his game to currently in the league.

Give me Horford-y vibes.

• Confused 1

This is a statement in one article about Toppin recently. Saw him destroy the Dawgs inside early in the year, a preseason tournament. 

The Karl Malone Award list. The players who have won the award are: Williamson, Ayton, Johnathan Motley, Georges Niang, and Montrezl Harrell. Obi Toppin is a finalist this year.

• Like 1