• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta, Clint Capela

NBASupes

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

There's some luck involved with the playoff seeding though.  I could see the Rockets making it to the finals in some scenarios.  

I see them being good enough to make it to the conference finals but they will be "swingy" enough with their construction that they could carry a hot streak to win about any series.  But if Westbrook goes cold then the whole thing could fall apart.  His career FG% in the playoffs if 41.1% and his career 3pt% is 30%.  Those numbers won't cut it.

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

I see them being good enough to make it to the conference finals but they will be "swingy" enough with their construction that they could carry a hot streak to win about any series.  But if Westbrook goes cold then the whole thing could fall apart.  His career FG% in the playoffs if 41.1% and his career 3pt% is 30%.  Those numbers won't cut it.

Houston is heavily reliant on the three ball. If they go cold in a game 6 or game 7 they could be in trouble. One thing about GS was Steph, Klay and KD almost never went cold at the same time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Houston is heavily reliant on the three ball. If they go cold in a game 6 or game 7 they could be in trouble. One thing about GS was Steph, Klay and KD almost never went cold at the same time.

Their more reliant on Westbrook pace and dribble drive more than anything else. Harden going to Iso in any system they run. This Covington deal was for Westbrook. 

23 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

There's some luck involved with the playoff seeding though.  I could see the Rockets making it to the finals in some scenarios.  

It would take something we've never seen before.  Could happen but I'm not ready to assume they'll be hot 'enough' over the course of entire series.

As @AHF said, Westbrook (for example) going 'cold' impacts this whole thang tremendously.

Also, I'm not ready to assume Har_en won't eat a spoonful of cinnamon (i.e. choke) randomly ... again.  That's more likely than not at this point.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Their more reliant on Westbrook pace and dribble drive more than anything else. Harden going to Iso in any system they run. This Covington deal was for Westbrook. 

Offensively, it makes perfect sense.  Westbrook and Harden are going to iso so another 3pt shooter fits a ton better than Capela.  Defensively Covington is a strong add.  But it does leave them pretty exposed to inside play.  Shockingly, D'Antoni is betting that this weakness won't get exploited and that his 3pt shooters will make their shots.  

FWIW, I expect Westbrook will be better in the playoffs but he hasn't shot even 40% in the playoffs since 2016.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Another reality is that GS was relying on some of the best shooters in the history of the game.  HOU does not have that in their stable, Har_en included.  Let's be honest, Har_en is a poor shooter.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Offensively, it makes perfect sense.  Westbrook and Harden are going to iso so another 3pt shooter fits a ton better than Capela.  Defensively Covington is a strong add.  But it does leave them pretty exposed to inside play.  Shockingly, D'Antoni is betting that this weakness won't get exploited and that his 3pt shooters will make their shots.  

FWIW, I expect Westbrook will be better in the playoffs but he hasn't shot even 40% in the playoffs since 2016.

He also gets turnover prone when his shots aren't falling. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AHF said:

They have a lot of ++ small post defenders

Harden who is 245

Gordon who is 225

Tucker who is 250

Covington who is 235

Westbrook who is 210 as a PG

These are big players. Just short. 

This probably would suck ass with Trae and Kevin but with Houston guys, they are all really strong dudes. This probably wouldn't work for any personnel group in NBA history but it might work for them.

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Harden who is 245

Gordon who is 225

Tucker who is 250

Covington who is 235

This probably would suck ass with Trae and Kevin but with Houston guys, they are all really strong dudes. This probably wouldn't work for any personnel group in NBA history but it might work for them.

Wow are those guys really that big ? I’m even surprised Gordon is 225

11 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Another reality is that GS was relying on some of the best shooters in the history of the game.  HOU does not have that in their stable, Har_en included.  Let's be honest, Har_en is a poor shooter.

Harden is probably the game's greatest isolation scorer in NBA history. 

Westbrook has always been a transition dynamo. 

While this isn't ideal, they don't have an ideal personnel grouping. 

You gotta think outside of the box. That's why I wanted O.J. Mayo so bad during that era of Hawks Basketball where Joe Johnson was our PG. 

He would have fit in that role whereas he probably wouldn't have fit in any other role. We needed a #1 option scorer but O.J. needed to be a PG but had no PG skills nor could he run an offense but all we did that year was Iso Joe.

Just now, JTB said:

Wow are those guys really that big ? I’m even surprised Gordon is 225

His body looks it from watching them play live. The Rockets have strong players. They just don't use it on offense much outside of Harden and Gordon

• Admin

They are one of the most boring teams too ... I can't stand watching Harden ... he is an amazing scorer but he is such a ball hog and a lot of his game is about getting those fake fouls.  Houston just annoys me.  Westbrook has a game excatly like Harden only he is not as good a shooter.  A constant ISO is the worst to watch. 

I think OKC is better without Westbrook ... they got ball movement for the first time and now its about team play and young up and coming players with a solid vet now leading the way. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

They are one of the most boring teams too ... I can't stand watching Harden ... he is an amazing scorer but he is such a ball hog and a lot of his game is about getting those fake fouls.  Houston just annoys me.  Westbrook has a game excatly like Harden only he is not as good a shooter.  A constant ISO is the worst to watch. 

I think OKC is better without Westbrook ... they got ball movement for the first time and now its about team play and young up and coming players with a solid vet now leading the way. 

Be careful here, our little scoring dynamo is modeling his game after Harden and is becoming one of the best players at drawing fouls. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Be careful here, our little scoring dynamo is modeling his game after Harden and is becoming one of the best players at drawing fouls. 

Ummmm he’s modeling his ability to draw fouls from harden but isolating not really . Trae is just so good off the pick/screen it may seem like he’s ball hogging but that simple play is just disruptive as hell 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, marco102 said:

The major, and I mean major, difference is our guy likes to pass.  The other guy holds it for 21 seconds then panic-passes to some jackleg who was standing the whole time hoping to get a shot.

• Like 4

I'll be interested to see how Houston holds up against length and athleticism. They'll catch hell with both the LA teams. It wouldn't surprise me if they struggled with teams who have good guard play as well (like Portland). The difference in those kinds of match-ups will be rebounding.

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Harden who is 245

Gordon who is 225

Tucker who is 250

Covington who is 235

Steve Kerr called them a football team.

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, tomac said:

I'll be interested to see how Houston holds up against length and athleticism. They'll catch hell with both the LA teams. It wouldn't surprise me if they struggled with teams who have good guard play as well (like Portland). The difference in those kinds of match-ups will be rebounding.

if Nurkic comes back healthy Portland is a bad matchup for them.. Dame and CJ will give em hell

38 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Clint Capela will be on 92.9 The Game Radio in a few minutes.

https://www.radio.com/929thegame/listen

Dang, missed it

• Like 2