• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta, Clint Capela

NBASupes

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, KB21 said:

The decision to extend Collins does not have to be made this off season.  It's an option, but that decision does not have to be made.  

As I understand it, we have until next October.

But I pride myself on my taking my beatdown when deserved... so, I'll accept correction on that if you want to look it up.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, sturt said:

As I understand it, we have until next October.

But I pride myself on my taking my beatdown when deserved... so, I'll accept correction on that if you want to look it up.

He is a restricted free agent after next season and can be resigned then.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

He is a restricted free agent after next season and can be resigned then.

Right. But...

2 hours ago, sturt said:

But, theoretically, the decision on extending JC is somewhat tied to whether he and Capela show they play well together, right?

... and there are advantages to extending him instead of going the RFA route that I think we really need to think about.

1 minute ago, sturt said:

Right. But...

... and there are advantages to extending him instead of going the RFA route that I think we really need to think about.

Really, the only benefit of extending him this off season is to do so to get him locked up long term.  The drawback is that you eat into 2021's cap space by doing it now, when if you wait till 2021, you can go over the cap to do it while signing other players with cap space.

• Like 3

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, sturt said:

Right. But...

What are these advantages?  I see what KB posted above and don't really view locking JC in as being a huge benefit since I think the threat of him deciding to pull a Childress and engineer a walk is pretty low.  

11 minutes ago, AHF said:

What are these advantages?  I see what KB posted above and don't really view locking JC in as being a huge benefit since I think the threat of him deciding to pull a Childress and engineer a walk is pretty low.  

You could make the argument that locking him up could make it easier to trade him in 2021 provided you don't make a big overpay.  

• Moderators
Just now, KB21 said:

You could make the argument that locking him up could make it easier to trade him in 2021 provided you don't make a big overpay.  

That is fair.  If we are thinking we may move him then that makes sense.  I'd be more concerned about preserving cap space if we plan on hitting the FA market hard after next season but that makes sense.

• Premium Member

I think we get him cheaper on an extension.

We don't have to compete with other 2021 vultures with cap space, and of course, there's no shortage of teams that already are positioning themselves to make hard runs at young high-ceiling FA talent for 2021.

And I'm also one of the seemingly few who are persuaded that Schlenk is going to do his darndest to make a FA splash this summer, and that he stands a chance at Ingram.

Circling back to the point here... there's value to being able to see as much of JC and Capela together this season as can be had.

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, sturt said:

We don't have to compete with other 2021 vultures with cap space, and of course, there's no shortage of teams that already are positioning themselves to make hard runs at young high-ceiling FA talent for 2021.

And I'm also one of the seemingly few who are persuaded that Schlenk is going to do his darndest to make a FA splash this summer, and that he stands a chance at Ingram.

Circling back to the point here... there's value to being able to see as much of JC and Capela together this season as can be had.

I don't share that confidence but if he is willing to take a haircut to sign now then that may make sense.  On Ingram, it was reported today that New Orleans will be signing him to a full max contract.  He'd have to take a significant pay cut to come here if that is true.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Ingram isn't a free agent splash.  He's a free agent mistake someone is going to make.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

On Ingram, it was reported today that New Orleans will be signing him to a full max contract. 

Going to have to provide a link on that one, please. My Google evidently is defective.

I'd say the main advantage to signing John to an extension is the possibility of getting him locked up for less than the max. 

As @sturt eluded to, most teams are preparing to have space for 2021 summer. The teams that strike out on the big dogs will offer John a max that we would have to match. So if you can get him for less than max now, I'd do it. 

Remember, we don't need two max slots -- just one. 

Edited by warcore
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, warcore said:

I'd say the main advantage to signing John to an extension is the possibility of getting him locked up for less than the max. 

As @sturt eluded to, most teams are preparing to have space for 2021 summer. The teams that strike out on the big dogs will offer John a max that we would have to match. So if you can get him for less than max now, I'd do it. 

Remember, we don't need two max slots -- just one. 

I just read up on the estimated Max that Ingram can get from the Pelicans. 28.8M a season at 165M over 5 Years. John's contract is one of the reasons I think this is our free agent year. Put as good a team together as possible around our young core and see what the potential looks like.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Ingram can get from the Pelicans. 28.8M a season at 165M over 5 Years.

Actually, more than that if he's able to latch on to one of the 15 All-NBA slots at the end of the season. Doing that allows a player coming off his rookie scale contract to jump into the 30% pool that's ordinarily reserved for the 7-9 year vets.

34.5m x 5 = $172.5m

This is why I think back to the Horford situation we had, and so many thought BOS couldn't pry him away.

I can imagine a situation where NOP is willing to give him 5 years, but the same total money we would be able to give him (138m).

I also can imagine a situation where Ingram piles up some DNPs due to nagging injuries in this second half, and that naturally taps the breaks on the desire to throw big money at him.

And unlike some others here, I see him as a perfect fit. He's what we would hope Hunter eventually will become, but he's already that. I see him fitting somewhere between Joe Johnson and Kevin Durant comparisons.

19 minutes ago, sturt said:

Actually, more than that if he's able to latch on to one of the 15 All-NBA slots at the end of the season. Doing that allows a player coming off his rookie scale contract to jump into the 30% pool that's ordinarily reserved for the 7-9 year vets.

34.5m x 5 = $172.5m

This is why I think back to the Horford situation we had, and so many thought BOS couldn't pry him away.

I can imagine a situation where NOP is willing to give him 5 years, but the same total money we would be able to give him (138m).

I also can imagine a situation where Ingram piles up some DNPs due to nagging injuries in this second half, and that naturally taps the breaks on the desire to throw big money at him.

And unlike some others here, I see him as a perfect fit. He's what we would hope Hunter eventually will become, but he's already that. I see him fitting somewhere between Joe Johnson and Kevin Durant comparisons.

I don't peg Schlenk as chasing a Max Contract player. I do see him spending the bulk of our 54 million to build a playoff caliber bench. I honestly think that is what he will do. He may only use 30 to 40 million long term ( 3-4 years ) so he has some leeway to deal with Collins upcoming contract.

I could see something like two 3-4 year 15M a season contracts then a 6-8M two year deal thrown Teague's way. Shorter deals after that. Schlenk has said something like this before, he does not believe in getting into the fringes of cap trouble until you know you are close to being a contender.

I think he would view Maxes for both Ingram and then Collins this early as to high a risk.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

Whoever gives Brandon Ingram a max deal will end up regretting that deal.  It will be as bad of a contract as Andrew Wiggins’s.  

This is why I dislike Travis’s method of building this team so much.  You end up giving a large extension to a player who has not earned it.  It’s based on what you believe he will become when he is on that new max deal.  I can’t think of a situation where that type of contract on a player who is not a max level player has ever worked out.