• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta, Clint Capela

NBASupes

4 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Whoever gives Brandon Ingram a max deal will end up regretting that deal.  It will be as bad of a contract as Andrew Wiggins’s.  

This is why I dislike Travis’s method of building this team so much.  You end up giving a large extension to a player who has not earned it.  It’s based on what you believe he will become when he is on that new max deal.  I can’t think of a situation where that type of contract on a player who is not a max level player has ever worked out.  

Nothing has been given. I like the idea of waiting until we have some veteran NBA depth.

Next season will be Collins 4th, Trae's 3rd, Huerter's 3rd wrapped around a vet like Capela; with the other younger players. I like the plan myself. Schlenk has yet to be crazy with ownership's money. I don't think that is in his DNA to be honest.

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I don't peg Schlenk as chasing a Max Contract player.

I'll grant you that he's going to be very reluctant, because he's been so consistent in maintaining that the worst thing a GM can do is make long-term mistakes in free agency.

I'll grant you, too, that it's not very likely he will ever be able to compete for one in the first place. In Summer 2020, there's almost none deserving, and in Summer 2021, there will be too many other competitors lining up who probably will have an edge on us by virtue of market size and/or their iconic brand. And by 2022, if things go as planned, our salary spreadsheet will be bloated with at least two significant contracts (Collins and Trae) complicating any effort to go after a max type.

But that timeline and those sets of circumstances contribute to why I'm persuaded now that Schlenk will make a play for Ingram. He may be Schlenk's only and best chance to bring that level of prime-of-career talent to the roster.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sturt said:

But that timeline and those sets of circumstances contribute to why I'm persuaded now that Schlenk will make a play for Ingram. He may be Schlenk's only and best chance to bring that level of prime-of-career talent to the roster.

I understand the logic if someone sees Ingram as Durant but a SF version vs the PF version. Schlenk may be careful about long term deals; but he was also part of the management team that almost traded Klay away for Love; and did trade Ekpe Udoh ( a 6th pick ) and Monte Ellis for Bogut and Stephen Jackson.

So I would not hang my hat on the thought that Travis is shy about trading away anyone ( Collins, Huerter, Hunter, Reddish ) he has drafted if he thinks its in the best interest of the team.

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

I think Schlenk really likes his guys here, though. These are his picks. He wasn't just one of the people in the room and allowed to voice his opinion. And I think he thinks he's a pretty good judge of young talent. I believe other than the births of his children and the day he got married, he's never had a better day than June 20, 2019, the day he was able to manipulate the draft board to acquire 2 of the 3 players he most lusted for (Zion being the other), and then was able to dip back into the action and grab someone he considered a mid-1st rounder.

I don't see him giving up prematurely on any of his guys who he drafted to be part of the core... which, by the way is its own intriguing thing today with Pierce evidently having used the term "core 6."

What might happen on the trade front, though, is that he could exchange this 2020 1st into a head-turning draft night move for another age 25-27 high-tier talent, but then that likely gums up your salary spreadsheet a little more with someone who may be pretty good, but who in the end isn't really a difference maker. And that circles me back to what I was saying before... I think Schlenk realizes the window is closing rapidly on his ability to gain a young vet difference maker.

Interesting factoid I just learned. Ingram was born in September 1997. As was John Collins. And just three months later, DeAndre Hunter came into the world. Those are the old guys.

Then, you have Trae, Velvet and Bruno all being born within a month of each other in the Aug/Sep 1998 timeframe.

The baby of the bunch is Cam, born almost exactly a year later in Sep 1999.

There's a joke in there somewhere about so much holiday celebrating ending up helping the future of the Atlanta Hawks, Ingram or no Ingram.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, sturt said:

I think Schlenk really likes his guys here, though. These are his picks. He wasn't just one of the people in the room and allowed to voice his opinion. And I think he thinks he's a pretty good judge of young talent. I believe other than the births of his children and the day he got married, he's never had a better day than June 20, 2019, the day he was able to manipulate the draft board to acquire 2 of the 3 players he most lusted for (Zion being the other), and then was able to dip back into the action and grab someone he considered a mid-1st rounder.

I don't see him giving up prematurely on any of his guys who he drafted to be part of the core... which, by the way is its own intriguing thing today with Pierce evidently having used the term "core 6."

What might happen on the trade front, though, is that he could exchange this 2020 1st into a head-turning draft night move for another age 25-27 high-tier talent, but then that likely gums up your salary spreadsheet a little more with someone who may be pretty good, but who in the end isn't really a difference maker. And that circles me back to what I was saying before... I think Schlenk realizes the window is closing rapidly on his ability to gain a young vet difference maker.

Interesting factoid I just learned. Ingram was born in September 1997. As was John Collins. And just three months later, DeAndre Hunter came into the world. Those are the old guys.

Then, you have Trae, Velvet and Bruno all being born within a month of each other in the Aug/Sep 1998 timeframe.

The baby of the bunch is Cam, born almost exactly a year later in Sep 1999.

The Pierce Core Meeting group sounds gimmicky to me. I just don't like the thought of rookies/young players being entitled to the head coach in a weekly meeting. I would get it more if its with a former player and/or assistant coach; and they are talking about the ins and outs of adjusting to the NBA though.

As I have said about a hundred times, I think we are all in on this 2020 free agent pool. We both do; just in a different way. Collins is going to be Schlenk's first real cap space challenge. Its going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

The Pierce Core Meeting group sounds gimmicky to me. I just don't like the thought of rookies being entitled to the head coach in a weekly meeting. I would get it more if its with a former player and/or assistant coach; and they are talking about the ins and outs of adjusting to the NBA though.

As I have said about a hundred times; I think we are all in on this 2020 free agent pool. We both do; just in a different way.

On the former, to me it's no different than when I took a job somewhere about 10 years ago and they'd hired two other people for similar jobs, and then over the course of the next year, we all met on a regular basis together with our boss.

On the latter... yep, for better or worse.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, AHF said:

Report I read was $165M.  Pelicans happy with how he and Zion mesh.

Well, I believe you, of course, but I did look, without success.

But regardless, there is hardly ever any talk at this stage from either side as-if they're not whole-hog into each other. We know that. It serves no purpose to do otherwise. But fwiw, based on what I've been watching, I don't actually get any sense that Ingram is enthusiastic to play beside Zion. Not that it necessarily matters. Guys don't have to be good friends to be successful. But it could (matter)... if two offers end up being pretty close.

19 minutes ago, sturt said:

On the former, to me it's no different than when I took a job somewhere about 10 years ago and they'd hired two other people for similar jobs, and then over the course of the next year, we all met on a regular basis together with our boss.

On the latter... yep, for better or worse.

I added this while you were replying.

Collins is going to be Schlenk's first real cap space challenge. Its going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

20 minutes ago, sturt said:

Well, I believe you, of course, but I did look, without success.

But regardless, there is hardly ever any talk at this stage from either side as-if they're not whole-hog into each other. We know that. It serves no purpose to do otherwise. But fwiw, based on what I've been watching, I don't actually get any sense that Ingram is enthusiastic to play beside Zion. Not that it necessarily matters. Guys don't have to be good friends to be successful. But it could (matter)... if two offers end up being pretty close.

Everything I have read says the Pelicans plan to keep him. Maybe they waiver but that is the current thinking.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Everything I have read says the Pelicans plan to keep him. Maybe they waiver but that is the current thinking.

That part isn't in doubt.

It is also true that the Hawks planned to keep Horf once upon a time.

21 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

If you can walk  you can play.  Where's the old nba toughness?

😉

Larry Bird might have a strong opinion on that one. He ended his career with that mentality. Now he is medicated so he can sit and stand up straight. Want the old school defense and reffing back but agree with don't bring cats back too soon from injuries. This post is completely based on your's not having been sarcastic, am not really sure there. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Thomas said:

Larry Bird might have a strong opinion on that one. He ended his career with that mentality. Now he is medicated so he can sit and stand up straight. Want the old school defense and reffing back but agree with don't bring cats back too soon from injuries. This post is completely based on your's not having been sarcastic, am not really sure there. 

it was sarcastic.  

• Sad 1