• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta (again), Mr. Dedmon

sturt

17 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Oh, and looking at drafts back in the 1980s, it seems it was actually substantially EASIER to find all star players in the later first round than today. Didn't crunch the numbers but looking at drafts from 1989-1981 and eyeballing it I would say that around 70% of All Stars were picked outside of the top five during that decade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_NBA_draft

If anyone wants to look up the exact number.

EDIT: heh... did a quick count and turns out the eyeball was spot on. Out of 66(!) All Stars picked in the 80s, 46 of them were picked outside of the top 5... which equals 70% almost exactly. Still 30% of all stars picked with the top 0.08% of picks is still massive value in the 80s. But turns out the last five years those top five picks are almost ridiculously more valueable. Small sample size perhaps? Or maybe it's that today teams have better scouting and players that are studs rarely fly under the radar. 

Rarely, even the ones who do fit the African/Euro raw model like Siakam, Gobert, or Giannis. Jokic just was an outlier. He didn't fit into the status quo. 

American steals outside of the top 10 are extremely hard to find. Even the ones drafted 6-10 are hard to find as well. A lot of times, its obvious like PG24/PG13 and Cam Reddish. Obvious low floor/high ceiling players which tend to be hit or miss.

Scouts been watching these guys since HS. They have a great pulse on these things.

15 hours ago, AHF said:

The other thing when you look at those numbers it that it is 0% for guys drafted after pick 15.  Pick 15 is the team that barely made the playoffs.  Being even the 2nd worst team in the playoffs means your pick wasn't eligible to draft any of those guys.  

That is ok if you are Miami or LA and can recruit stars but for other rosters you either need to trade for those guys (better have some lottery picks) or you need to draft them yourself.

For guys like myself who loves what we are doing. 

The Trae draft was an A- draft. Trae and Kevin were good picks. Omari could turn out to be a good pick but he's going on his 3rd NBA team in two years. 

This draft I gave an A+++ to. I said this was the greatest draft in Atlanta Hawks history. 

We got one of the better 3 and D wing prospects in years in De'Andre Hunter. We got one of the most talented but raw two way wings in Cam Reddish. We got one of the lower floor, higher upside guys in Bruno at the 5. Grand slam draft. 

Sadly, our offseason moves where we took two steps forward, we keep five steps back. 

With the trade we are taking ten steps forward and will feel like a playoff team moving forward and depending on Cam and Hunter, especially Cam depends on how great we can be long term. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

I only stated that Ded will be starting during Capela's absence and will be a better starter than Len would have been...

🤷‍♀️ (confused) So you are actually agreeing with me I believe. 

My whole point was that Dedmon is better than Len.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

🤷‍♀️ (confused) So you are actually agreeing with me I believe. 

My whole point was that Dedmon is better than Len.

Yes and no.

As a starter in 2019-20: Ded > Len due to BBIQ, chemistry, and the pressure of being a starter. Len failed as a starter.

For the future and in backup role, they are equals. Ded will be coming off the bench next season behind Capela and will be competing with Bruno for bench minutes (Jones will likely be gone). Also, small ball puts JC at 5. It's hard to make an impact if you're only getting 15-20 mpg. Ded is also on the tail end of his prime whereas Len is only 26. I like both guys in a backup role, so I am indifferent on this trade.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AHF said:

I think Ded is a significantly better fit because he is much better matching up against mobile perimeter big men than Len.  Capela should be matched up against any classic "big men" and is much more mobile than some centers (see Drummond) trying to stop someone in space but Dedmon is the better compliment to him, imo.  I also have more confidence in Dedmon's jumper bouncing back as Len hasn't done it for as long (granted both of them are fairly limited sample sizes in the big picture and 3pt% can just vary season to season for a lot of players).

We shall see. Dedmon is more athletic than Len, but he is going to be 31 next season.  We'll see if he dips at all... 28-30 is about when Smoove's athleticism started to dropped off.

Hopefully the Hawks continue to develop and give minutes to Bruno and not go fully with Capela/Dedmon/Collins rotation purely for "win-now" philosphy.

• Like 2

So Sunday against the Knicks at home it is Dedmon hitting the floor for us. Hoping to see him get the majority of minutes at C. Should reduce any PF minutes for Hunter moving forward and expect it to help his offense out, hoping so.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Rarely, even the ones who do fit the African/Euro raw model like Siakam, Gobert, or Giannis. Jokic just was an outlier. He didn't fit into the status quo. 

American steals outside of the top 10 are extremely hard to find. Even the ones drafted 6-10 are hard to find as well. A lot of times, its obvious like PG24/PG13 and Cam Reddish. Obvious low floor/high ceiling players which tend to be hit or miss.

Scouts been watching these guys since HS. They have a great pulse on these things.

YuQ_C6Z8Cmu8F_LjEGuCtjgKZZqy-AFbpZi52K-3s6M.jpg?auto=webp&s=586b194102e6ad10173e3a3c0b9ed363220060e8

Next time you see a fat clumsy white kid with bitch tits, just remember that could be the next NBA superstar. Jokic is more than an outlier, try one in a billion.

• Haha 3