• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The top of this draft class is infuriating.

mrhonline

• Premium Member

This morning, I thought I'd take a peek at how the current top half of the draft did last night (since many of them had important conference games):

1. LaMelo Ball - out for the rest of the season
  2. James Wiseman - out for the rest of the season
  3. Anthony Edwards - had the flu and rebounded well, but minimal defensive effort and 39% TS in a loss to a team that had lost three straight
  4. Onyeka Okongwu - only 3 shots in 27 minutes in a road loss
  5. Tyrese Haliburton - injured his wrist in the first half and will probably miss the next game or two
  6. Killian Hayes - game cancelled due to winter weather; hasn't played in weeks
  7. RJ Hampton - out for the rest of the season
  8. Nico Mannion - hit 2 of 14 FGA and had no assists in a home loss
  9. Cole Anthony - a clear positive (esp. in terms of FTs) in a disaster of a finish vs. Duke, but he's just had knee surgery...
  10. Obi Toppin - led his team to 12 straight wins
  11. Deni Avdija - seems to be getting better; fairly solid off the bench against Fenerbahce
  12. Josh Green - mediocre (11/3 on 45% TS) in home loss
  13. Isaac Okoro - didn't shoot well, but was +20 for the game and closed out the game for this team
  14. Paul Reed - 13 rebounds, but his team is 1-10 in conference play and just lost to a team that effectively played just six guys

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, mrhonline said:

This morning, I thought I'd take a peek at how the current top half of the draft did last night (since many of them had important conference games):

3. Anthony Edwards - had the flu and rebounded well, but minimal defensive effort and 39% TS in a loss to a team that had lost three straight
  5. Tyrese Haliburton - injured his wrist in the first half and will probably miss the next game or two
  9. Cole Anthony - a clear positive (esp. in terms of FTs) in a disaster of a finish vs. Duke, but he's just had knee surgery...
  11. Deni Avdija - seems to be getting better; fairly solid off the bench against Fenerbahce
  13. Isaac Okoro - didn't shoot well, but was +20 for the game and closed out the game for this team
  14. Paul Reed - 13 rebounds, but his team is 1-10 in conference play and just lost to a team that effectively played just six guys

Talk about a crap shoot. TS may as well throw a dart at his big board.

• Haha 1

Given where we are as a team, there would seem to be more value moving this pick in a trade.  Either trading back or targeting a current player who could help us now.  If that doesn't materialize, I'm sure we will find an exciting player being so high up the board, but probably none who could step right in and make the team better in the first year.  Halliburton is a beauty, though.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, txsting said:

Given where we are as a team, there would seem to be more value moving this pick in a trade.  Either trading back or targeting a current player who could help us now.  If that doesn't materialize, I'm sure we will find an exciting player being so high up the board, but probably none who could step right in and make the team better in the first year.  Halliburton is a beauty, though.

Hope that Haliburton's wrist is alright... having an MRI.. helps that he is a sophomore, and if the Hawks get in the top 3 they may be able to trade down.  It is going to be very interesting to see what TS does with this pick. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2020 at 10:23 PM, bleachkit said:

On 2/9/2020 at 12:06 PM, mrhonline said:

I really like Okoru and Toppin. A couple of guys with a tough, aggressive play style

• Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 12:06 PM, mrhonline said:

I really like Okoru and Toppin. A couple of guys with toughness and an aggressive play style.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've actually begun to rethink it (and was open to it earlier). I think Edwards ends up being fine in the NBA. There's something at work that's been going on here, and even if you're being objective, it's hard to figure out which way. Either Crean's past work has been overrated and he lost what good ability as a coach he had before, or normal talented freshmen can really stink and they had a big dip earlier and are going to turn out fine, especially after an offseason of workouts and a potential foreign tour, and fitting in a OAD would have been better with 2020-2021.

I don't see a fit with the Hawks if a top 3 pick is landed unless he'd be willing to play the young Harden role (not saying that he'd grow into Harden). I'd still shop that top 3 pick first (if one is achieved) for a potential trade down and maybe a young player that's already been playing in the NBA and has looked good.