Why is Trae Young hated so much??

Wurider05

Oh you must just be reading Stillwater's posts. 

SMDH!  That dude is a 

main-qimg-992f5e81a74762c6e1adefc62154ef 

Oddly enough. I read a post somewhere where someone said DaAron  Fox was two times a talented as Trae Young.  I'm like where? 

Also, there's this weird obsession with them comparing Trae to Ja Morant too and acting like Ja is 1000's time better because he's an all around player when his defense is bad too. 

Edited by marco102
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

He is crafty af but plays a game where he likes to bait for fouls like Lou Williams, Luka, and James Harden. People hate that style of play outside of Luka because he's you know... 

Honestly, it's a skill. That's pretty much it. Guys like that aren't fun for many fans while some love Trae because he plays like it's pickup Basketball. That's why kids love Trae Young. I know I would if I was a kid. He's the modern Iverson. 

All of this and a lot more.  I confirm I’m just an old fart.  I grew up enjoying PGs who were spearheads of their team defenses, hating those who weren’t, and scoffing at any idea that the new wave of basketball can discount PG defense.  You can’t hide or account for a defender as bad as Trae, conversely he makes everyone’s job harder.  I’m also a Steph Fanatic and Trae’s off ball game is horse sh!t in comparison.  

I just can’t like the kid and I’ve always contended he’s one of the 5-10 best passers ever, shooting and scoring quite overrated tho.  Teams can easily live with defending the lob to give up his floaters, a flop foul, or a ridiculously deep three rather than defend the multiplicity of sharing playmaking duties.  Dude’s just way too small to be on the ball all the time.  

No one can question my Hawks fandom but I can’t be a homer for a player who’s game I fundamentally dislike.  So don’t say “RealGM idiots” when I’m at the forefront of Trae Detractors.  Until he starts drawing attention off the ball and getting into a respectable defensive stance to cut off a passing lane I’ll be that.  The Bucks are 5-0 without the defending MVP and no one near Trae’s offensive production because they never field any ass defenders at the point of attack.  Bud don’t play that lazy sh!t copping out because of size.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HawkItus said:

Same reason they hated Reggie Theus, Rick Fox, Curry etc.  People hate the pretty boy that has game.

But they bash him for his looks and hair too. Unlike the before mentioned..

Some people don’t need a reason to hate. They just do sometimes, and there’s no point reasoning with them. Let a hater hate and just make sure to drown them out with overt support. Better to make them sick to their stomach  because you’re living your best life than to let them piss you off and you both be miserable. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I love it.  Keep 'em talking and hating!  

When's the last time the Hawks had a player worthy of all this.  Just wait - when Cam explodes it'll be double trouble.

Seriously though - we were the laughing stock because of the trade and Trae's early struggles, now they're all choking on a healthy serving of blackened crow and it's choking the life out of them - they can't get over it. 

No doubt. I still remember folks like Bill Walton singing the Suns' praises when they got Diaw for JJ, even long after Diaw refused to play hard down here and wanted out of town. You have to go back to Nique's heyday to find a guy remotely close in terms of star power, getting phantom calls to go his way, and being the bane of the universe in terms of drawing the ire from mainstream fans and media from bigger markets (NYC, Boston, LA, Chicago, et al).

Mainstream media folks and their fans cannot stand to see such a player doing well, especially after predicting his quick demise within seconds after he was drafted. And when you add in the Atlanta factor, it turns their stomachs ten times more. I guarantee you if Young was playing for the Knicks and they had the same record as the Hawks, you wouldn't hear anything about him 'cherry picking' or not making the USA team. And if he was playing for the Lakers, oh boy. They'd be killing the Mavericks' brass on a daily basis for making such an idiotic trade and begging Cuban to pull the plug on his GM. But since he's in Atlanta instead, well...

Edited by Dejay
  • Like 4

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Trae is not a lazy defender. He was instructed in Oklahoma to literally not play any defense because they couldn't risk him getting fouls. he has no defensive background whatsoever and is having to learn the hard way at the NBA level.

Trae is too small without the explosive quickness and lateral ability to ever be a great defensive PG. The most he can hope for IMO is to be an average defender at his position. 

Exactly.  Plus he has the most steals on the team and averages 4.5 rebounds a game.    He can be effective on the defensive end and still be an average defender.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Trae is not a lazy defender. He was instructed in Oklahoma to literally not play any defense because they couldn't risk him getting fouls. he has no defensive background whatsoever and is having to learn the hard way at the NBA level.

Trae is too small without the explosive quickness and lateral ability to ever be a great defensive PG. The most he can hope for IMO is to be an average defender at his position. 

He got lateral ability and good awareness. I just need him to understand, he has to be a lot more aggressive on defense and have more defensive BBIQ to help us on that end.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I think he can be a Korver.  Just a guy who knows where to be on defense, what to do.  That's not out of the realm of possibility.

He ain't gon' be Gary Payton out there but, then again, who is circa 2020?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I think he can be a Korver.  Just a guy who knows where to be on defense, what to do.  That's not out of the realm of possibility.

He ain't gon' be Gary Payton out there but, then again, who is circa 2020?

This is really what I want from Trae.