• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why is Trae Young hated so much??

Wurider05

21 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I grew up in south Georgia. Lived in Georgia all my life. Trust me I know how some black folks are about bi racial or light skinned folks. it ain't pretty. I think it is wrong wrong wrong for people to think like that but it is denying reality to say that's not an issue for some people.

When I was in college, I sold life insurance.  Like door-to-door kinda thing.  This was in like 2001-02.

I went to this lady's house in a well to-do black neighborhood on the westside of Atlanta.

I introduced myself as the insurance guy, etc.  She let me in and said, "You know if you were darker than a paper bag, I wouldn'tve let you in."

Then she laughed like I was supposed to give her some dap like, "I know thas' rite, gurl."

Crazy.  And people wonder why we (black folk) have so much trouble coming together as a people.

Man, I got some weird stories.  Ya'll don't even know.  Once a client died while I was in the house.  Yikes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5

• Moderators
1 hour ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

Devin Booker is another guy to put on that list.

Let me say this for Booker - he isn't a problem on that team.  He just is a limited player whose PPG makes it seems like he should be better than he is but he is an excellent player who contributes to a team winning.  He moves the ball well for an off guard and scores 26 ppg on .628% TS%.  That is fantastic scoring efficiency for a wing.  

He isn't a true star because he is terrible on defense and doesn't do much else but he could easily be a major piece of a championship team.  He could play something like the Ray Allen role from the Celtics squad with PP and KG and be great in that.  

He is not at all a net negative player like Wiggins.  Wiggins only scores and doesn't do it particularly efficiently so there is not real value there.  Booker is an outstanding offensive player and a bad defensive player for a net positive value.  He isn't close to good enough to be the best overall player on a great team but he is plenty good enough to be a positive piece on a playoff or championship roster.

Player Season Age FG% 3P% FT% DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PTS
Devin Booker 2019-20 23 .499 .361 .918 3.7 4.2 6.3 0.7 0.2 3.9 26.4
Andrew Wiggins 2019-20 24 .447 .336 .712 4.0 5.1 3.7 0.8 0.8 2.6 22.4

Player Season Age PER TS% OWS DWS WS WS/48 OBPM DBPM BPM VORP
Devin Booker 2019-20 23 20.6 .628 4.4 1.0 5.4 .142 3.8 -1.9 1.9 1.8
Andrew Wiggins 2019-20 24 16.4 .538 0.8 1.0 1.8 .057 0.4 -1.3 -0.9 0.4

BOX SCORE RAPTOR ON/OFF RAPTOR OVERALL RAPTOR  
PLAYER TEAM POSITION(S) MINUTES OFF. DEF. TOTAL OFF. DEF. TOTAL OFF. DEF. TOTAL WAR

Devin Booker Suns PG, SG 1,731 +3.4 -2.8 +0.6 +5.5 -3.1 +2.4 +4.1 -3.1 +1.0 3.4
    ON/OFF RAPTOR OVERALL RAPTOR  
PLAYER TEAM POSITION(S) MINUTES OFF. DEF. TOTAL OFF. DEF. TOTAL OFF. DEF. TOTAL WAR

Andrew Wiggins Timberwolves SF 1,455 +0.3 -2.4 -2.0 +2.4 -3.6 -1.2 +0.9 -2.7 -1.9 0.6
  • Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

It was before so it was kinda like, "Oh hey, you didn't sign the policy so uh ... don't get up.  I'll see myself out."

This is pretty hilarious when you don't know the person involved.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

In fairness, I was pretty young and not ready to handle .. all that.

Oh, I imagine it was pretty traumatic for you and a terrible event for the people involved.  From a real life perspective, it is just the loss of someone which is very sad. 

Just saying it would make for a nice scene in a Ben Stiller comedy or something.  I can see someone like Larry David really leaning into the fact that the guy hadn't technically finished executing the policy before it happened.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Ok sure. If the Hawks someone landed Devin Booker no one here would be bemoaning the addition of an empty calories scorer. This board would over the moon. Just Stop.

You have such a low opinion of the rest of us.  Or perhaps a very high opinion of the grumpy cat.

I think most would simply acknowledge that, since he'd now be a Hawk, we'd have to find a way to rationalize being a fan of his.  I don't think that's technically the homerism you seem to think we're all infected with.

11 minutes ago, kg01 said:

You have such a low opinion of the rest of us.  Or perhaps a very high opinion of the grumpy cat.

I think most would simply acknowledge that, since he'd now be a Hawk, we'd have to find a way to rationalize being a fan of his.  I don't think that's technically the homerism you seem to think we're all infected with.

Rationalizing or dramatically altering your opinion of someone because they now play for your favorite team is Homerism. But that's not even my beef. Dismissing every star player as an "empty calories scorer" or not a "winner", or "soft" is so contrived. 

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Rationalizing or dramatically altering your opinion of someone because they now play for your favorite team is Homerism. But that's not even my beef. Dismissing every star player as an "empty calories scorer" or not a "winner", or "soft" is so contrived. 

No, that's basically what being a fan means.  You have to hope guys that play for your team end up being the best versions of themselves.  Otherwise you're just self-loathing and grumpy.

And who dismisses every star player as soft or not a winner?  I think you're yelling at clouds.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HawkItus said:

I disagree to the extent of mostly male consumed media.  Guys like Trae are viewed as effeminate because of the fair skin and curly hair.  See the way fans espouse about a Mike Tyson or Mayweather, but degrade Oscar De La Hoya.  I remember the knocks against Theus with radio host saying he spent too much time at the beauty shop etc.  It isn't just a black thing either. It happens with all races.  I guarantee you if Trae looked more like B Goodwin he would get a lot less flak.

Yes I get that too, but again I just don’t see that type of noise overtly directed at Trae.

I don’t hear him being called soft or a pretty boy.

I hear him being called inefficient, a chucker, selfish, stat padder, etc...

The truth is, Trae ain’t really that good looking. He’s scrawny by NBA standards, has an almost uni-brow, speaks with a mumbly-lisp and his hair is terrible lol 

I love the kid but he is far from the pretty boy that people would be jealous of.

I would believe he gets more hate for his swagger than anything. The way he dresses and carries himself like a giant off the court, and then his audacity and cockiness on the court is downright disrespectful at times lol

That alone is enough to put a target on any man’s back.

• Like 3