• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Collins has to PROVE more! Sorry but the clock starts now...

JTB

5 hours ago, Buzzard said:

To much worry to early. We have yet to put a competent team with some solid vets around Trae and Collins. I am sorry but Len, Jones, Bembry, Vince, Parker, Evans, Crabbe turned out to be anything but competent. We are on the right track with Capela, Dedmon, Teague and possibly Skal; but we still need a vet Wing and PF.

Back on topic, I like my first post. I will leave the free agency talk behind in this thread.

2 hours ago, JTB said:

I like the idea of grant or crowder but I’m not thinking we can get crowder now that he’s in MIA. He likely will want to stay there 

I am not clear on how we can get Grant when Denver hasn't indicated they want him gone on the market. Crowder isn't that unlikely. While he could love it in Miami, Miami doesn't want to add much salary past 2020. While Miami can give him one of those ballon 1 year deals, I do think he would be open to a long term 3-4 year deal if we offered it.

To me, the players I have clear indications who are available in FA if the price is right of the players who got value to me:

Harrell

Crowder

Gallinari 

Torrey Craig if the price is right

Kenrich Williams 

Derrick Favors

Serge Ibaka

Fred VanVleet if you have 23-25 million available and a starting job.

Tristan Thompson 

Aron Baynes 

Nerlens Noel if the price is right.

23 minutes ago, KB21 said:

The team DOES need a veteran wing that can start.  As long as the team is letting the young uns take their lumps, they are going to be taking losses instead of wins.  

Like who and why would TS approve to start/play more any vet wing over one of the three young kids? 

While it makes sense in your, just win baby win mindset, the issue is, we are still about development of the young core. Unless someone who could be a core piece as a wing can be added, how can Atlanta add someone like Crowder and start them over any of the three? They wouldn't and you know it.

6 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Like who and why would TS approve to start/play more any vet wing over one of the three young kids? 

While it makes sense in your, just win baby win mindset, the issue is, we are still about development of the young core. Unless someone who could be a core piece as a wing can be added, how can Atlanta add someone like Crowder and start them over any of the three? They wouldn't and you know it.

Well, hopefully there is a mandate put on next season.  Either the Hawks make the playoffs or we will be getting a new GM.  If the Hawks are to make the playoffs, then they have to stop dicking around with giving these young guys more minutes than they should be getting.  

If TS wants to continue his mantra of playing the young guys and only targeting players who are in the 25-27 age range in free agency, then he should be looking for a job after Atlanta’s fourth straight losing season.

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

I still like Porter but he will be to expensive as I suspect Grant will. I am not sure the Bulls want to pay Porter. Their fan base is pretty up in arms about their current leadership being tightfisted and want them gone. But there is more than just us with cap. Charlotte, Detroit, Miami, and New York. Miami is chasing 2021 with their cap and have about 26.5 million free. I think they will be careful when it comes to long term deals. Charlotte, Detroit, and the Knicks will be competing with us.

I see Bertans, Crowder, and Grant being sought after and leaving. We just have to agree to disagree on this one. I think 45 million front loaded over three years would be competitive for Bertans; but someone may offer him more.

Ugh, it doesn't matter what Chicago fans want man. Otto has a player option. Like Bazemore, we could want him to opt out but it's his choice. He won't opt out on a poor injury laden year with limited to no money on the market when he has close to 30 million of salary. Think dude, think! 

Ugh! Sometimes I just shake my head on this site. It's like a lack of common sense just rest among us at times. I've gotten so many plugs that a lot of guys with player options are opting in a massive volume. Even the ones on the edge like DeRozan are having 2nd thoughts and possibly looking into 2021 when the money will be massive. This year is expected to be the year of the MLE.

This year, the guys likely to be paid are centers, Harrell, Gallinari, Bertrans, and Joe Harris. 

Of these guys, the guys I've heard attached to us other than resignings have been Harrell, Joe Harris, and Crowder. No Gallinari, no starting wings are even available, and the only shooter I've heard Atlanta linked too is Harris. Bertrans has interest but the growing expectation is Washington and been that way since several weeks before the deadline. 

I don't think you guys realize how impossible it is to get a starting wing right now who can guard bigger wings. Its extremely difficult. Even the Torrey Craig of the world aren't expected to be cheap.

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Well, hopefully there is a mandate put on next season.  Either the Hawks make the playoffs or we will be getting a new GM.  If the Hawks are to make the playoffs, then they have to stop dicking around with giving these young guys more minutes than they should be getting.  

If TS wants to continue his mantra of playing the young guys and only targeting players who are in the 25-27 age range in free agency, then he should be looking for a job after Atlanta’s fourth straight losing season.

There could be a mandate and still no interest in starting wings since none is currently available. They had interest in Jaylen Brown but Boston paid him. None is available. 

You living in LALA land. There is a reason everyone is looking for one and Iggy who is like 35 is getting 15 million per year to get one. 

22 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I am not clear on how we can get Grant when Denver hasn't indicated they want him gone on the market. Crowder isn't that unlikely. While he could love it in Miami, Miami doesn't want to add much salary past 2020. While Miami can give him one of those ballon 1 year deals, I do think he would be open to a long term 3-4 year deal if we offered it.

To me, the players I have clear indications who are available in FA if the price is right of the players who got value to me:

Harrell

Crowder

Gallinari 

Torrey Craig if the price is right

Kenrich Williams 

Derrick Favors

Serge Ibaka

Fred VanVleet if you have 23-25 million available and a starting job.

Tristan Thompson 

Aron Baynes 

Nerlens Noel if the price is right.

Would these players realistically be open to a backup role?

oh and I’m with on the wing situation. I’d rather just let our young wings continue to learn and take their bumps and bruises! As long as we are starting cam and hunter with some solid vets that know how to play defense off the bench and can teach them we will be fine. I’m not sure where this hate (from others) is coming from on the wing positions! These guys aren’t in year 3 like Collins  and they’re actually doing some good on the court.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

There could be a mandate and still no interest in starting wings since none is currently available. They had interest in Jaylen Brown but Boston paid him. None is available. 

You living in LALA land. There is a reason everyone is looking for one and Iggy who is like 35 is getting 15 million per year to get one. 

Justin Holiday and Jae Crowder would help this team win more now than any of the three younger guys.

20 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Ugh, it doesn't matter what Chicago fans want man. Otto has a player option. Like Bazemore, we could want him to opt out but it's his choice. He won't opt out on a poor injury laden year with limited to no money on the market when he has close to 30 million of salary. Think dude, think! 

Ugh! Sometimes I just shake my head on this site. It's like a lack of common sense just rest among us at times. I've gotten so many plugs that a lot of guys with player options are opting in a massive volume. Even the ones on the edge like DeRozan are having 2nd thoughts and possibly looking into 2021 when the money will be massive. This year is expected to be the year of the MLE.

This year, the guys likely to be paid are centers, Harrell, Gallinari, Bertrans, and Joe Harris. 

Of these guys, the guys I've heard attached to us other than resignings have been Harrell, Joe Harris, and Crowder. No Gallinari, no starting wings are even available, and the only shooter I've heard Atlanta linked too is Harris. Bertrans has interest but the growing expectation is Washington and been that way since several weeks before the deadline. 

I don't think you guys realize how impossible it is to get a starting wing right now who can guard bigger wings. Its extremely difficult. Even the Torrey Craig of the world aren't expected to be cheap.

I understand they are at a premium which is why I said "more cap than most here want to pay." in the very first part of my post. The question was who do you hope for; it was not who do you think we will get in the thread you keep mentioning.

I think most everyone here "hopes" for what they believe will be at least one of the top tier players in this class. I mentioned three and added two others in Crowder and Grant that I feel are just a step below Bertans, Bogdanovic, and Porter.

It is what it is. I thought it was a simple question that I answered in pretty simple terms.

Edited by Buzzard

24 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

If we add Harrell and Harris I would consider that an excellent off season.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JTB said:

oh and I’m with on the wing situation. I’d rather just let our young wings continue to learn and take their bumps and bruises! As long as we are starting cam and hunter with some solid vets that know how to play defense off the bench and can teach them we will be fine. I’m not sure where this hate (from others) is coming from on the wing positions! These guys aren’t in year 3 like Collins  and they’re actually doing some good on the court.

It is not hate to want a solid backup. No one hates Trae just because everyone wanted or still wants a backup point guard. This team shoots last in the league from three. One or two players needs to be severely upgraded on our bench. Why not a wing is what confuses me? Do we really want Bembry or Graham to be our backup wings?

I sure as hell don't; but if LP still loves Bembry that is who we might be stuck with next year.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

That and those young guys are a lot more talented and should be much better in year 2 and 3.

This is why bad teams stay on the lottery treadmill.  They have too much reliance upon internal improvement from their young players and refuse to get vets that can help the team win.  

7 minutes ago, High5 said:

It's hilarious that you think John sucks but Harrell would get us to 70 wins. Or 60. Or 50. 

If you want realism for Hawk projections, never follow me. If you want extreme optimism, I am your guy. I don't think this team above will win 70 games but then again, I didn't think the 2014-15 Hawks would win 60. 

I don't think John sucks. I love John and I think the world of him but I am not convinced he's the starting PF of the future considering all of what Trae needs to win in this league which is most important to me. 

Edited by NBASupes

7 hours ago, JTB said:

IDK at this time and I don't think the Hawks want a true center at this time. 

9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

If you want realism for Hawk projections, never follow me. If you want extreme optimism, I am your guy. I don't think this team above will win 70 games but then again, I didn't think the 2014-15 Hawks would win 60. 

I don't think John sucks. I love John and I think the world of him but I am not convinced he's the starting PF of the future considering all of what Trae needs to win in this league which is most important to me. 

I have my doubts about John getting a huge extension, but I would take him over Harrell in a heartbeat.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, High5 said:

I have my doubts about John getting a huge extension, but I would take him over Harrell in a heartbeat.

Why? 

Honestly, we can pay them both. We have the money due to the lack of what either Hunter or Reddish cost us and Kevin really shouldn't cost much. 

Edited by NBASupes