• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jalen Rose opines that we're going to need another head coach to lead across the Jordan

sturt

46 minutes ago, KB21 said:

The Sacramento Kings have spent 13 consecutive seasons drafting in the lottery.  

Best player drafted: Demarcus Cousins

The Minnesota Timberwolves have spent 14 of the last 15 seasons drafting in the lottery.  They had 11 consecutive years, one year in the playoffs, and are now on 3 consecutive seasons drafting in the lottery.

Best player drafted: Karl Anthony-Towns

The Phoenix Suns have spent 9 consecutive seasons drafting in the lottery.

Best player drafted:  Devin Booker

The New York Knicks have spent 6 consecutive seasons drafting in the lottery and have been drafting in the lottery 12 times in the last 15 seasons.  

Best player drafted: Kristaps Porzingis

The New Orleans Pelicans have drafted in the lottery in 6 of the past 8 seasons.  

Best player drafted:  Jrue Holiday

The Charlotte Hornets have drafted in the lottery in 8 of the last 9 drafts.  

Best player drafted: Kemba Walker

The Detroit Pistons have drafted in the lottery in 8 of the last 10 drafts.  

Best player drafted:  Andre Drummond

The issue with tanking is that when you do it, you MUST get a Hall of Fame talent in the deal.  All-Star caliber players aren't going to cut it, especially if you don't draft or acquire multiple All-Stars to play with him.

2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Seriously guys...stop engaging him. He's laughing at you guys for responding to him. He will NEVER admit he was wrong. He will NEVER stop fishing for these reactions. Do the only sane thing and put him on your ignore list. We were doing just fine before he came back and we can stay that way.

It's even more fun to just ignore him outright.  No ignore function needed.  Hehe

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, KB21 said:

The Sacramento Kings have spent 13 consecutive seasons drafting in the lottery.  

The Minnesota Timberwolves have spent 14 of the last 15 seasons drafting in the lottery.  They had 11 consecutive years, one year in the playoffs, and are now on 3 consecutive seasons drafting in the lottery.

The Phoenix Suns have spent 9 consecutive seasons drafting in the lottery.

The New York Knicks have spent 6 consecutive seasons drafting in the lottery and have been drafting in the lottery 12 times in the last 15 seasons.  

The New Orleans Pelicans have drafted in the lottery in 6 of the past 8 seasons.  

The Charlotte Hornets have drafted in the lottery in 8 of the last 9 drafts.  

The Detroit Pistons have drafted in the lottery in 8 of the last 10 drafts.  

I can keep going on if you want me to.  The fact is, going from very bad to very good is one of the hardest things to do in sports, no matter what the sport is.  It’s why it is a foolish strategy to intentionally be bad.  

When you are building a team, you don’t draft a superstar, sprinkle some magical pixie dust, and have a playoff competitive team.  You have to build a culture, and when you tank to get a high pick, that is not building the right culture.  

So, the Hawks put themselves behind the 8 ball from the very beginning with Travis’s little experiment.  

Um. You must've missed it, but I gave you the point. And then answered it.....

4 hours ago, sturt said:

The retort has been, "Yeah, but look at all the teams who have been so bad, drafting so high for so long."

Let's assume you're right. No numbers yet provided by you to validate that. In fact, you've seemed allergic to even being interested to look at it (which in itself is a little suspect). But let's grant you that as fact.

Who said all those teams who have been so bad for so long and drafted high for so long had an above-average young-talent-assessor for their GM? That's a critical missing ingredient in the recipe, in fact. If you don't have that, then you're mostly a slave to the random chance that your GM might stumble onto a player who will become elite.

Do we have an above-average young-talent-assessor for our GM?

That's where this conversation/debate is better centered. That is the tipping point issue.

From your view, that was such a suave dodge no one even noticed. Right?

For the rest of us, that's just more Elaine.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The issue with tanking is that when you do it, you MUST get a Hall of Fame talent in the deal.  All-Star caliber players aren't going to cut it, especially if you don't draft or acquire multiple All-Stars to play with him.

Yep.

And so, if you don't have a superior young-talent-evaluator GM... and let's face it, by definition, most GMs are average... you're at a disadvantage from the start because

(a) you have to have an elite player,

(b) there aren't but the draft, free agency and trades that allow you to get one, and

(c) even if you have the #1, there's a 70%-ish chance you're not going to obtain one.

I'm not aware that any of the teams Eeyore listed have/had a GM who is widely regarded for his young-talent evaluation.

Thirty teams competing for one trophy per year.

It's not supposed to be easy. And it isn't.

48 minutes ago, sturt said:

Um. You must've missed it, but I gave you the point. And then answered it.....

From your view, that was such a suave dodge no one even noticed. Right?

For the rest of us, that's just more Elaine.

You wanted numbers.  I gave you numbers.  Yet you want to continue to dance around the fact that teams who delve off into the lottery as their method of team building tend to stay in the lottery for extended periods of time.  You can blame it on average GMing or whatever.  The fact of the matter is, the talent pool they are choosing from isn’t that great to begin with.  There are too many raw players who are coming into the league.  

I’m not dancing around anything.  I know I am right.  The evidence proves it.

• Moderators
17 hours ago, KB21 said:

So, you would rather pretend that one team who spent an extended amount of time in the lottery who won championships offsets the fact that every single other championship won in the modern NBA has been won by teams who DID NOT have extended periods in the lottery?  I mean, 9 teams have won the NBA title since 1999.  Only Golden State spent an extensive amount of time in the lottery when building their championship roster.  

This is just the most disingenuous post I think I've ever seen from you.  The Cleveland Cavaliers didn't spent time in the lottery?  They had 5 consecutive lottery trips leading to taking LeBron #1 overall preceding their first NBA Finals appearance.  Then they made 4 consecutive appearances that included three more #1 overall picks.  Then they won their first championship.  That made 4 consecutive years where two teams that had extended lottery runs (Cleveland and GS) were the only teams to make the Finals and win rings.  

Oops - saw this thread got locked.  Will leave it alone.

• Like 2