• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Stop ✋ 🛑 Gap vets only

Spud2nique

I love our core. All our key players are drafted and groomed by us. Collins, Trae, Huerter, Hunter and Cam. All under 25 years of age. Then we go out and get a center who is only 25 years old and fits our timeline on a generous contract. We most likely have a top 5 pick coming in this 2020 draft.

Look I’m pushing to look 👀 hard at good players who can help us like a Trez Harrell and possibly a handful of other free agents this year. I don’t think we need to overpay for a top tier free agent moving forward. We just need to have solid vets as mentors to back these kids up. 

Call me greedy but there are 2 free agents that I will want moving forward and not many others. 

Giannis

Zion

Obviously everyone wants them but my main point is we don’t need to reach on mediocre free agents when we’ve done all the groundwork for it ourselves. We set ourselves up real nice to be picky and choosy about free agents moving forward. 

The ATL is going to be the new NBA free agents desired destination moving forward. I almost fee like a snob 🙃 

Is this reasonable thinking or do I have my Hawk sunglasses 🕶 on? Whatcha say?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I love our core. All our key players are drafted and groomed by us. Collins, Trae, Huerter, Hunter and Cam. All under 25 years of age. Then we go out and get a center who is only 25 years old and fits our timeline on a generous contract. We most likely have a top 5 pick coming in this 2020 draft.

Look I’m pushing to look 👀 hard at good players who can help us like a Trez Harrell and possibly a handful of other free agents this year. I don’t think we need to overpay for a top tier free agent moving forward. We just need to have solid vets as mentors to back these kids up. 

Call me greedy but there are 2 free agents that I will want moving forward and not many others. 

Giannis

Zion

Obviously everyone wants them but my main point is we don’t need to reach on mediocre free agents when we’ve done all the groundwork for it ourselves. We set ourselves up real nice to be picky and choosy about free agents moving forward. 

The ATL is going to be the new NBA free agents desired destination moving forward. I almost fee like a snob 🙃 

This is one of the most homerish takes I've seen on here.  

21 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Giannis

Zion

I don't see it your way but its great to hope. I think we need to snag some good players out of this crop and let Trader Trav work magic if need be. Good contracts are great assets and shooters is what we need. I see this crop of players as a win/win.

Maybe we have a great core with Reddish, Hunter, Huerter, our next pick to go along with Trae, Collins, Capela; and maybe we don't. But you can never have to many good players when a trade deadline comes around.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I somewhat agree. I don’t want us to overpay guys that aren’t difference makers. We’ve done a good job of not taking on long term bad deals. We have to continue this going forward.

However I don’t see us attracting anyone unless we are willing to ante up.

Trae is magnetic, but we have to put a team together that can compete in the postseason first before guys willfully start taking reasonable deals to play here.

We have to spend our 90% of our cap on somebody though so hopefully Schlenk can make some more good decisions, maybe short term “prove yourself” deals that allow us to be big players in 2021 free agency.

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Giannis

Zion

Ill be shocked if Zion is still healthy in 4 years tbh..And EVERY team with $ including Milwaukee (who can pay him more than anybody) will be after GIannis..

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I still don’t know how we pulled off that deal for Milsap. In retrospect I can’t even tell if he didn’t actually make out as the biggest winner in that exchange. 

He took a shorter term deal to come to a playoff team in the weaker conference. Immediately played himself in to an All Star. Made some epic moments along the way. Built his resume up and became a FA again just in time to cash a huge payday when the salary cap skyrocketed. And oh yeah, did all this at exactly the same time he started regressing from his prime. He, like Horford, have never played up to the level of their huge contracts after leaving us. 
But kudos to him for getting his cash grab. Had he stayed on for a year shorter or longer, he would’ve missed the window to maximize his worth with the new market.

Everyone thought we got a steal of a discount but his agent knew all along what he was doing setting his client up for success.

Paul may have declined some over the past two years, but he’s still be better than anything the Hawks have had at his position over that time.  

12 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

No one is taking mins from Cam. Stop gaps are guys like Bembry. We need guys like Torrey Craig. Guys who have impact

Bembry is a stop gap but Craig isn’t? 🤷‍♀️ Craig career averages are 5 ppg 3.5 boards. Bembry career is 6 ppg and 3.5 boards. I’m saying we don’t need any top tier free agents and we should be really picky.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Paul may have declined some over the past two years, but he’s still be better than anything the Hawks have had at his position over that time.  

Define better...because 12 & 6 for a 34 year old vet doesn’t measure up to even Jabari’s production let alone JC. 

And you would be ok with paying him 30 mil a year for that? Just because he is(was) a proven vet.

I see i might be on my own in the path i would choose lol.   Since i already know we have a hard time attracting legit stars to this team in FA.  Then for us to realistically be able to do that would to already have one here under contract that others would want to team up with.   To do that i feel we have to trade for one in this coming offseason if we can.    As much as i like Cam, Hunter, Huerter, etc...  I don't feel any of them as we sit would make a superstar think twice about coming here.   What we do have is Trae who is about as close to a superstar as we can put out there right now,  Collins who is a top tier PF thats giving you 20/10/2 on a nightly basis and avg defense thats only 22 years old.  and Capela who is a very very good defensive Center and rebounder that can give you some solid points. 

I offer our 2020 1st round pick hopefully in the top 3, any of those 3 guys in cam, hunter, and huerter, and a extra 1st or 2 in the coming years to see if any team is interested in moving a legit elite level player to our team. 

If we can get one  giving us   Trae,  Traded for superstar, Collins, and Capela  with still 50 to 60 million in cap space to add 1 more max contract and some depth  then i could see us possibly being able to talk one or 2 of the top tier players in 2021 coming to us based on what we already have.    The only other chance would be to pray for a miracle that have 80 million or so in cap space  in 2021 if we don't trade for anyone in 2020 is enticing enough that you can talk 2 or 3 guys who want to play together to join up to a trio of trae, collins, and capela  with some young talented depth behind them in cam, hunter, and huerter.     But i feel having a traded for superstar already in he fold if we can pull it off is more enticing than those young guys to attract one in 2021.

Edited by Threezus
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Threezus said:

I see i might be on my own in the path i would choose lol.   Since i already know we have a hard time attracting legit stars to this team in FA.  Then for us to realistically be able to do that would to already have one here under contract that others would want to team up with.   To do that i feel we have to trade for one in this coming offseason if we can.    As much as i like Cam, Hunter, Huerter, etc...  I don't feel any of them as we sit would make a superstar think twice about coming here.   What we do have is Trae who is about as close to a superstar as we can put out there right now,  Collins who is a top tier PF thats giving you 20/10/2 on a nightly basis and avg defense thats only 22 years old.  and Capela who is a very very good defensive Center and rebounder that can give you some solid points. 

I offer our 2020 1st round pick hopefully in the top 3, any of those 3 guys in cam, hunter, and huerter, and a extra 1st or 2 in the coming years to see if any team is interested in moving a legit elite level player to our team. 

If we can get one  giving us   Trae,  Traded for superstar, Collins, and Capela  with still 50 to 60 million in cap space to add 1 more max contract and some depth  then i could see us possibly being able to talk one or 2 of the top tier players in 2021 coming to us based on what we already have.    The only other chance would be to pray for a miracle that have 80 million or so in cap space  in 2021 if we don't trade for anyone in 2020 is enticing enough that you can talk 2 or 3 guys who want to play together to join up to a trio of trae, collins, and capela  with some young talented depth behind them in cam, hunter, and huerter.     But i feel having a traded for superstar already in he fold if we can pull it off is more enticing than those young guys to attract one in 2021.

Sounds good and easy in theory....but which Superstar/Elite Level Player is actually AVAILABLE and worth 2 1sts -  our 2020 1st, a Future 1st plus one of Huerter/Cam/Hunter?  

Wing players who might be available based on the Trade deadline rumors - Bradley Beal, Aaron Gordon, Kelly Oubre, CJ McCollum - guys of that ilk. They don't scream Elite Level player to me. Maybe I'm missing someone. 

Then you have the Embiids, KATs and Simmons but less likely available.

So who would you target with your plan???

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Define better...because 12 & 6 for a 34 year old vet doesn’t measure up to even Jabari’s production let alone JC. 

And you would be ok with paying him 30 mil a year for that? Just because he is(was) a proven vet.

Paul had 6.9 WAR in 2019 compared to John Collins's 5.1 WAR.  He has a 2.7 WAR this year compared to Collins's 0.7 WAR.  

• Moderators

Millsap has fallen off considerably since he was last in Atlanta and is a definite risk going into his age 35 season next year.  That said, he is way better defensively than any big we've had since he left and would offer a more fundamentally sound game than John has developed to date.  And way better than Parker given the gap on their defense.  It would be foolish to switch to a 35 year old instead of your rising 22 year old but given that Sap is becoming a role player (24 mpg this season) I could see a scenario where he comes in to upgrade our frontcourt. I just don't think that is what TS is looking for given his age.

(As an aside, note that Collins' WAR is of course much worse this season since he has missed 26 games so far.)

• Thanks 4