• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

De'Andre Hunter

mrhonline

• Premium Member

Back on the DeAndre Hunter topic! (there are 3 other coaching threads)

What is Deandre Hunter’s role on the Hawks moving forward?

The Virginia product wasn’t the flashiest top-5 pick. Some liked to call him a mini Kawhi Leonard coming out of college, but there’s only one Kawhi Leonard, and most players with his playing style are viewed as boring. He is not the most skilled offensive player, and despite being the Defensive Player of the Year in his final season at Virginia, he struggled on that side of the floor and still needs to fill out to reach his full potential. For now, Hunter is cemented in the starting lineup for the Hawks, but that could change as early as next season.

The Hawks have a lot of decisions to make this offseason, and one of the critical ones will be establishing the roles of Reddish and Hunter. Based on Reddish’s production at the end of the year, it almost seems inevitable that he eventually finds his way into the starting lineup. Now, Hunter could be as well, but the Hawks have a projected top-five pick in the upcoming draft and a bunch of cap space to fill out their roster.

De’Andre Hunter’s role is up in the air. First off, what position is he best fit to play? He was drafted as a small forward but really struggled to defend out on the perimeter and has the size to be a stretch power forward. Would the Hawks benefit by giving him a sixth-man type role? His shooting, defense, and versatility would undoubtedly be welcomed additions to the bench. Adding Clint Capela also presents some wrinkles. Now, these are terrific issues to have, and decisions don’t have to be made overnight, but next year will be critical for Hunter — as far as how the Hawks plan to use him going forward.

Older article:

https://www.sportstalkatl.com/what-is-deandre-hunters-role-on-the-hawks-moving-forward/

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Where is the growth?  They all look the same to me except Trae hits more of those bad shots he takes.  This team has the same defensive problems they've had since LP took over and his dumb line ups struggle to rebound.  But like I said...I see already and it may take time but y'all will eventually see it also.

Where is the growth?  A year's experience for all the young Hawks and the coaches.  Last year, te bench consisted of players who were leaving asap.  We will not have that problem again.  Building a much stronger bench.  Hawks center position has grown big time from the start of last season.

We don't expect another starter to be out, suspended for 25 games.  Our GM still has the draft and free agency to go thru.  Hoping for growth there.  

LP must step up.  With a much improved bench, a real center and a more experienced young squad, I see the growth.  Do you?

:hi:

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, AHF said:

There has been a ton of growth for these guys.  Come on.  They don't resemble themselves as they stepped into the league.  Trae has improved on D, improved attacking the basket, gotten more comfortable running action, and improved his protection of the ball all while vastly increasing his scoring efficiency.  Kid has come a long way in a short time.  Reddish made similar improvements as a rookie.  JC has added perimeter shooting and stepped up other elements of his game to become way more than he was projected to be out of college.  

Hunter doesn't have the same obvious growth but he did make improvements in his ability to run on both sides of the floor as a wing his rookie year.  You can see it easily in something like his ORtg from November to February this year:

image.png

But Hunter will need to show true development as a sophomore on a year over year basis (unlike Trae and Reddish who made vast in-season improvements that were much more visible).  

For the team, we will need to have an actual bench to get the YOY improvement that all of us want to see.  If we add more Turner, Jones, Crabbe, Carter, etc. types then we'll be stuck with another year of the core putting up better and better numbers while the team overall struggles due to lack of quality depth.  That is on TS to find this year and on LP to coach.

Took notice how you failed to address the side of the ball that I raised which is defense and rebounding which should be easy to establish more consistency than hitting 3's but Y'all will see soon enough.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Just my personal opinion - Hawks improved their rebounding when they added Capela to their roster.  Also, he improved our defense around the basket.  Dedmon becomes a very good back up center and Bruno will have someone to be a living example as he continues to improve as a center and PF.

Experience is a great teacher.  Our extremely young core Have learned by experience.  LP will be better, if for no other reason than he will have better, more experienced players to work with.

Will it all work out?  Only time will tell.  We will know more next year when the next season begins.

:sun:

Agree.  Thought it was pretty obvious we added two guys who average 11.8 rebounds per 36 (DD) and 13.8 rp36 (CC).  We also have JC eligible for the entire season (11.0 rp36 last season).  Anyone who doesn’t view that as an improvement from our interior last year when Damian Jones, Jabari Parker and even Vince Carter we’re seeing serious minutes...we’ll, I’ll agree to disagree with that poster.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, AHF said:

Agree.  Thought it was pretty obvious we added two guys who average 11.8 rebounds per 36 (DD) and 13.8 rp36 (CC).  We also have JC eligible for the entire season (11.0 rp36 last season). 

You guys are assuming that this is obvious to LP and we will see almost never see a JC/DHunter front courts or even Cam Reddish at power forward and Huerter at the 3.  I'm not so sure.  LP will play his small ball line ups and play them often negating our potential rebounding advantage from a personnel perspective.

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

You guys are assuming that this is obvious to LP and we will see almost never see a JC/DHunter front courts or even Cam Reddish at power forward and Huerter at the 3.  I'm not so sure.  LP will play his small ball line ups and play them often negating our potential rebounding advantage from a personnel perspective.

You never know.  You may be correct.  LP may throw away his future and the future of the Atlanta Hawks so that he can do things his way, regardless of the outcome.

On the other hand, he may not.  He may not be as dumb as a box of rocks.

:smug:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A) Small ball is quite normal throughout the entire league. LP is not different in that regard. 

B) Our  "Small" core-5 lineup was statistically our best lineup last year. Disproving the notion he used it to our own detriment.

Roster versatility is key more than anything. You have to be able to play big, small, up tempo, grind it out, pick and roll, and motion. If you can match up with teams with size great, do so. But if you can exploit their bigs by pulling them away from the paint, then thats good too. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

In the right hands I totally agree. We just happen to disagree about the current hands. I've got no problems with the roster.

Yep.  We know.  You want Lloyd Pierce gone yesterday.  Not just him.  All his assistant coaches.  I believe that they deserve one more year to prove that they are good or bad.  

So many NBA people disagree with you.  They believe that he is a good coach.  He hasn't proved that he is really good or bad because of the players that he has had to work with.  The upcoming season is different because we believe, as you do, that we have a much better roster.

This s the "prove it" season for Atlanta.  Hawks GM did not have the roster built to be a winner.  Now he does.   If they don't produce, both Lloyd and Travis will have to face the consequences.

:hi:

• Premium Member

For Hunter, 22, his shooting showed up earlier, but he would fade into the background at times throughout the season. Pierce has said a few times that Hunter’s game isn’t flashy, such as the likes of Reddish or Trae Young. On March 10, a day before the season was suspended and a day after Hunter registered a 13-point, 11-rebound double-double in a double-overtime win against Charlotte, Pierce said this of Hunter’s skill set: “What he is, he’s a capable catch-and-shoot guy, he’s a rhythm guy. He’s a guy that’s been able to play in the post a little bit, and he’s a guy that knows spacing and just how to be a system and team guy. He’s not a drive-and-kick guy. He’s got to get to a two-foot stop. It’s not as fluid as it is for some of the other guys, but we’ve been able to help him grow in those areas.”.......De’Andre yesterday had a really good day. He’s been competing, he was really assertive yesterday, he did a great job today as well, didn’t play as much, but I just think they had the right mentality coming into this

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Yes.  Rating based on the teams record.  You and I agree that our roster is now much better than it was at the beginning of last season.

And, as bad as the ranking looks, at least he's not on the bottom!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Yes.  Rating based on the teams record.  You and I agree that our roster is now much better than it was at the beginning of last season.

And, as bad as the ranking looks, at least he's not on the bottom!

26 is at the bottom as in bottom 5 worse. Plus the rankings were not based on team wins