• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

De'Andre Hunter

mrhonline

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

In fact, Jackson left after the 03-4 season.  That team went to the finals.  The very next year the team was coached by someone else and they won 34 games.  Jackson came back the following year and they were in the playoffs again

Hmmm....what happened that year...

Was it that the Lakers' best player Shaq got forced out by the younger Kobe?  

Did he maybe go win another championship without Phil?  

Wonder why two HOFers would lead to a championship even without Phil.  Can't figure it out.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

Hmmm....what happened that year...

Was it that the Lakers' best player Shaq got forced out by the younger Kobe?  

Did he maybe go win another championship without Phil?  

Wonder why two HOFers would lead to a championship even without Phil.  Can't figure it out.

Shaq?  Yep 1 with another HOF coach

• Moderators
Just now, kg01 said:

I'm seeing a guy standing in a 20ft deep hole.  His plan for getting out?  Keep on diggin'.

Coaches who coach multiple HOFers tend to have winning records.  It is crazy.

Really strange how GS won so few games this year because Steve Kerr was always more important than any of the players.  I had penciled them in for a ring this season and still think they would have come back, made the playoffs and won it all.  Because it is more about the coach than the players.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

Coaches who coach multiple HOFers tend to have winning records.  It is crazy.

Really strange how GS won so few games this year because Steve Kerr was always more important than any of the players.  I had penciled them in for a ring this season and still think they would have come back, made the playoffs and won it all.  Because it is more about the coach than the players.

Didn't Curry have a coach 5 years before Kerr got there?  What did they win?

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

What did Shaq win in Orlando...Didn't he play with another HOF player and an Allstar?

Finished first in the East and made the NBA Finals.  Made the ECF and won the 2nd most games in the entire NBA the next season.

Who was this HOF player you think he was playing with in Orlando?

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

Finished first in the East and made the NBA Finals.  Made the ECF and won the 2nd most games in the entire NBA the next season.

Who was this HOF player you think he was playing with in Orlando?

Penny hardaway

• Moderators

Didn't Curry have a coach 5 years before Kerr got there?  What did they win?

So you have nothing to explain why they sucked despite Kerr being more important than the stars?

Want to make a bet on this?

Oh wait, when it comes time to pay Peo will

giphy.gif

Just now, Peoriabird said:

Penny hardaway

Not in the HOF.  

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

I think that you are looking at this wrong.  HOF players can only get so far without the great coach.  I'm not saying that great coach win regularly without great players although it has happened. But rather the Great coaches get the best out of the great players. 

• Moderators
Just now, Peoriabird said:

I think that you are looking at this wrong.  HOF players can only get so far without the great coach.  I'm not saying that great coach win regularly without great players although it has happened. But rather the Great coaches get the best out of the great players. 

So you admit I was right when I said that in the first place.  You should have just agreed.  Players are more important than the coach.  The coach is important but secondary.  A stocked team will win regardless of coach.  A bad coach will lower their ceiling.

All things I've already said.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

So you admit I was right when I said that in the first place.  You should have just agreed.  Players are more important than the coach.  The coach is important but secondary.  A stocked team will win regardless of coach.  A bad coach will lower their ceiling.

All things I've already said.

I said that in my initial statement.

• Moderators

Try to spin it any way you want.  Now that you are agreeing with what I said, I think we've exhausted the useful debate for this thread.

No coach in the league would have had our team this season winning big.  The horses weren't there to run.  Is LP the right guy to help the team make the leap?  I don't know.  You are certain he isn't.  

Next season will be his first with a roster that should compete.  If they don't, then that is on him and we'll both agree on shipping him out.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Since being sidelined by the Corona Virus, I started watching a lot of episodes of a football life.  And when I watch the coaches episodes like Bill Parcels or Bill Walsh, it reminds me of how critical the coach is in not just stetting the line ups and calling plays but the Identification of talent and skill and developing those skills of each and every player.  Also teaching them how to win and what things will lose games for them.  Now I know football is a little different than basketball but certain coaches in the NBA did win more than others and its wasn't just that they had more talent even though it helps. There have been many examples of teams with subpar talent that made it to the finals like Iverson's Sixer's and even some that won it  all like Dirk's Dallas team. Don't get me wrong, talent is very important to winning in the NBA but coaching is a close second cause outside of Jordan and Pippen and Pippen wasn't a complete player himself, what did the Bulls have? They even made it to the conference finals without Jordan in 95.  So to me, wasting time with a coach that is obviously below average while you should be searching for that exceptional coach makes no sense to me.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Read the above statement

The one where you said Pippen wasn't a complete player and then you followed that up by diminishing Jordan's contributions?  I followed it.  It was not the fact that you said coaching was a close second to players which led us to sparring on this thread.  It was when you started ****ing on all-time greats to prop up Phil's importance to those titles that you went off the track.  At the end of the day, it isn't a close second.

There were probably a dozen different coaches who could have won titles with those Bulls teams.  And no coach no matter how great was going to coach the Hawks to be good enough to beat them at the level of play they achieved - primarily due to MJ, Pippen and the big man stud of the day.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

The one where you said Pippen wasn't a complete player and then you followed that up by diminishing Jordan's contributions?  I followed it.  It was not the fact that you said that which led us to sparring on this thread.  It was when you started ****ing on all-time greats to prop up Phil's importance to those titles that you went off the track.

Offensively, Pippen was very limited.  He wasn't an iso player, play maker or a shooter.

• Moderators

Offensively, Pippen was very limited.  He wasn't a iso player, play maker or a shooter.

He averaged more than 5 assists per game over his career.  He had around a .550 TS% during his prime.  VERY LIMITED?

giphy.gif

You know the difference between "not top tier" and "very limited"?  Right?

Dennis Rodman was very limited on offense.  Pippen was a 20 ppg who was a standout passer and excellent secondary scorer.

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

He averaged more than 5 assists per game over his career.  He had around a .550 TS% during his prime.  VERY LIMITED?

giphy.gif

You know the difference between "not top tier" and "very limited"?  Right?

Dennis Rodman was very limited on offense.  Pippen was a 20 ppg who was a standout passer and excellent secondary scorer.

The irony is that y'all are trashing Hunter's 1st year stats but elevating Pippin's? 

Pippen Shot 17% from 3, 57% from the free throw line

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/663/scottie-pippen