• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

19 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I do like it for ☝🏾 reason. At least some dirty fckers are being persuaded to wash I their dirty hands while singing 🎤 the pledge of allegiance. 🤦‍♀️ 

So true story, I went to an organizing meeting for the Republican Party about 15 months ago (mostly to check out what was going on - 1st I'd ever attended). When the meet and greet was finally over and they started the meeting, they chose to begin with the Pledge of Allegiance. I politely declined and this immediately drew a lot of attention to me in my section.

So I took the next 10 minutes or so educating those around me to the origin of the pledge. It was conceived in a time when "no Irish" was a common phrase and it was originated as a way of proving you were willing to assimilate. Later, it was used in loyalty testing for Japanese citizens interned during WW2.  It was later forced upon people with a religious objection and was law of the land for 3 years until the Supreme Court reversed an earlier decision.

I explained that my extreme conservative libertarian leanings wouldn't allow me to consciously pledge allegiance to a state that could do then be controlled by those who would do evil. That I would never pledge to blindly follow anything, especially something that had very sketchy origins at best.

http://bostonreview.net/politics/jack-david-eller-pledge-allegiance

For this very reason, the over-reaction at things like SARS, Carona and the like scare me.  Bad people use these things for their own nefarious ideals and then George Takei ends up a 5 year old reciting the pledge in an internment camp (true story). 

http://allegiancemusical.com/

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah well us somewhat older folks tend to see things a bit differently. We are more like the front of the military draft line with this kinda thing you know. Ready for all this to be done and over with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HawkItus said:

All this talk of fear mongering, but Italy and Spain are in health crisis over this.  This isn't the flu and our over taxed health system is not prepared for a pandemic.  Yes it might not kill you, but for those who will need to be hospitalized it is important.  Last years flu was pushing hospitals to the limit.

The public health campaign is a good thing but like most illnesses...this is going to just have to run its course and yes, some people will die as with most illnesses. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, AHF said:

My amateur take is that SARS did not spread nearly as easily as COVID19 and reached a population at its peak of way less than has already been reached by COVID19.  Its symptoms were more severe.

Looking at the CDC fact sheet, it appears that a total of 8,098 people became sick with SARS and a little less than 10% died.  The exposure numbers for COVID19 will dwarf that.  COVID19 appears to almost certainly have a significantly lower fatality rate but will result in many more deaths due to the much broader exposure and ease of transmittal.

So this thing started in China over a month ago now and its dead winter there. Viruses (this virus) tend not to like sunlight. Its snowy, rainy and cloudy there right now. Perfect season to spread this. It didn't make the US for a few weeks.  Summer is coming, Spring is almost here and this will lessen out as good weather takes over.  Sadly it'll take longer in the north.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

That's easy to say until an infant with pneumonia dies because resources are thin.   Or dialysis patients or the sepsis patients.  This not a simulation real people can and will die if they don't mange the easiest part of this.  Controlling how bad this spreads.  A little overreaction could save millions of lives. 

There are lots of people with compromised immune systems due to age, being malnourished, being a transplant recipient, or one of dozens of other health conditions.  For anyone who is in this category or has a loved one in this category (and that is a lot of us), it is of significant interest whether the government takes the steps it needs to take to reduce risk to this vulnerability population in which most fatalities will occur.  

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

Yes and no.

The problem lies in its going undetected for so long, yet being contagious... for those of us who are relatively healthy, that's still not a big deal.... but for those with some preexisting conditions like asthma, that's a very big deal... and especially among those who are older.

15% fatality rate among people aged 60% and older. Spreads like wild-fire. This is serious as hell. If you followed the story in China as it developed (and now Italy) then you know how devastating it can be if the proper measures to contain are not taken. Even if you go just by what is 100% factually known about the disease you are talking about something that spreads and kills at a rate anywhere between 3x-10x the flu... Considering the flu is no joke at all, it's not encouraging. 

Edited by Atlantaholic
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

That's easy to say until an infant with pneumonia dies because resources are thin.   Or dialysis patients or the sepsis patients.  This not a simulation real people can and will die if they don't mange the easiest part of this.  Controlling how bad this spreads.  A little overreaction could save millions of lives. 

Oh, and another fun fact, 80% of all of the basic ingredients found in the medicine in United States comes directly from China. Officially China has "resumed" activity in factories, but if you believe independent accounts China is lying and most factories are still completely shut down. If a few cities in U.S. have to go through what Wuhan went through just as the potential shortages from basic medicines start to be felt, that could be catastrophic... And that's just one of many potential scenarios that could get surreal. Point is the amount of unknowns here are dizzying. CCP has consistently lied and decieved about the virus, holding the story completely under-wraps even from their own population for over a month... wasn't until a Doctor (now deceased) "leaked" the story that anything was known. The impact this could have on the global economy is already at a best case, very signficant, and could quickly escalate to several hundred degrees worse than that. There's never any right time to "panic" but to pay close attention to this story and treat it with the utmost seriousness and respect is an absolute must. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Atlantaholic said:

Oh, and another fun fact, 80% of all of the basic ingredients found in the medicine in United States comes directly from China. Officially China has "resumed" activity in factories, but if you believe independent accounts China is lying and most factories are still completely shut down. If a few cities in U.S. have to go through what Wuhan went through just as the potential shortages from basic medicines start to be felt, that could be catastrophic... And that's just one of many potential scenarios that could get surreal. Point is the amount of unknowns here are dizzying. CCP has consistently lied and decieved about the virus, holding the story completely under-wraps even from their own population for over a month... wasn't until a Doctor (now deceased) "leaked" the story that anything was known. The impact this could have on the global economy is already at a best case, very signficant, and could quickly escalate to several hundred degrees worse than that. There's never any right time to "panic" but to pay close attention to this story and treat it with the utmost seriousness and respect is an absolute must. 

I know in the industry where I am working that production has resumed in China at reduced levels, including our own China facility which was shut down previously by the government.  The economic concern for us is more about our customers shutting down orders due to getting shut down from China suppliers of key components.  The supply chain impact from the shutdown hasn't hit yet since it takes about 8-12 weeks to ship from China meaning that what has been on the water was product already produced prior to the China shutdown.  Significant risk for many suppliers in our industry for Q2-Q3 sales.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

15% fatality rate among people aged 60% and older. Spreads like wild-fire. This is serious as hell. If you followed the story in China as it developed (and now Italy) then you know how devastating it can be if the proper measures to contain are not taken. Even if you go just by what is 100% factually known about the disease you are talking about something that spreads and kills at a rate anywhere between 3x-10x the flu... Considering the flu is no joke at all, it's not encouraging. 

Notably, it's taken awhile to have any confidence in the fatality numbers simply because China is China, and there is reason for skepticism in what a government like that is going to report.

It's sad that it had to spread to other countries to the extent that it has before we could gain confidence that we have an idea what we're dealing with, but that's what's had to happen.

• Moderators

I'm stocked up on Corona Extra and limes, so I'm good.

In the interim, how about free NBA League Pass for the remaining whatever games, respecting local restrictions and whatnot, in case everybody needs to watch from home? Shout it from the rooftops!

~lw3

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Premium Member

Huerter on on possibly playing games in empty arena:

There have been reports recently about the NBA potentially playing games without fans in attendance [because of COVID-19]. Have you thought about what it’d be like to basically play games in an empty gym?

It would be weird. Obviously fans are a huge part of the NBA. They make our contracts what they are and they make how much the NBA’s grown to be what it is. So they’re extremely important and it would be weird.

It’s funny, I talked to my dad and he played a game in college where it was the measles outbreak, so they actually played a game with no fans, and he said it was weird. He said it felt like a scrimmage or practice, like a closed scrimmage. It was definitely a different type of energy. So I’m sure that’ll be addressed. I know there’s all these meetings going on now, and we’ll figure out what they come up with. Fans are a huge part of our game, but obviously we play for each other, we play for our team, we play for a city. We’ll see what happens.

• Like 1