• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, sturt said:

Tests were to begin shipping April 1st.

Question - is it going to be available for mass testing country wide. Or still 'selective'?

There is still undertesting in most states.

• Premium Member

Federal prosecutors allege train engineer Eduardo Moreno, 44, of San Pedro intended to hit the ship, saying he thought it was "suspicious" and did not believe "the ship is what they say it's for.'"

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

• Premium Member

Has this guy been under a GIANT rock!

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R), while announcing a statewide stay-at-home order, said Wednesday that he only recently became aware the coronavirus could be spread by asymptomatic people.

"The reason I'm taking this action, like I've continued to tell people, I'm following the data, I'm following the advice of Dr. [Kathleen] Toomey," Kemp said in response to a reporter's question at a press conference announcing the order.

"Finding out that this virus is now transmitting before people see signs, so what we've been telling people from directives from the CDC [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] for weeks now that if you start feeling bad, stay home ... those individuals could've been infecting people before they ever felt bad," he added. "But we didn't know that until the last 24 hours. And as Dr. Toomey told me, this is a game changer for us."

Sigh!!! The CDC is in your backyard!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That is unbelievably shocking and I'm guessing the CDC loves being thrown under the bus.   This is the new strategy.  Blame the CDC when the whole friggin world knew months ago that this was the case.  The hubris here is what's so shocking.   He thinks we're idiots. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

36 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Guess it proves that being able to throw an election does not necessarily mean you are aware or intelligent, just a petty criminal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, AHF said:

What a f******** moron.  You guys need to vote him out ASAP.  That is almost criminally incompetent. 

Hey now, your talking about a guy that when he was Lt. Governor of Georgia and was running for Governor of Georgia at the same time he closed down minority dominant voting stations around the state but in particular in DeKalb County and got away with it. Am offended you believe Kemp is criminally incompetent. He has the criminally competent part down pat. 

Kemp.jpeg

• Haha 1

Our incredible Earth just broke 1,000,000 confirmed cases of this virus today. Will leave that as my only comment.

Countries and territories[a] Cases Deaths[c] Recov.[d] Ref.
218 1,002,159 51,485 208,949 [2]
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States[e] 239,630 5,784 10,360 [3][4]
23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy[f] 115,242 13,915 18,278 [7]
23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Spain[g] 110,238 10,096 26,743 [9]
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, macdaddy said:

That is unbelievably shocking and I'm guessing the CDC loves being thrown under the bus.   This is the new strategy.  Blame the CDC when the whole friggin world knew months ago that this was the case.  The hubris here is what's so shocking.   He thinks we're idiots. 

The Trump administration has been giving the CDC the cold shoulder throughout this whole thing. There is clearly some friction there.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

The Trump administration has been giving the CDC the cold shoulder throughout this whole thing. There is clearly some friction there.

Might be related to this:

The Trump administration badly undermined the effort to contain the coronavirus outbreak by getting rid of most staff tasked with identifying global health problems in China while repeatedly attempting to slash funding for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), according to a new report by an environmental watchdog.

Over the past three years, the Trump administration has drastically reduced a team working in China to identify global health threats like Covid-19, which originated in the Chinese city of Wuhan late last year. The initiative’s 11 CDC staffers have been cut to three people, while 39 workers classed as “local employees” have been reduced to 11 people.

• Sad 2

• Moderators

I'll admit I'm a control freak.  I'm just really sad about the whole situation but even more just infuriated at our government response.  Kemp saying he just learned you could transmit without showing symptoms, for some reason Kushner is now involved despite having no experience, and he says the federal government stockpile of supplies isn't for the states?  So they are giving the federal stockpile to private companies to in turn sell to the states.   

But politics aside people are dying.  And people are dying and getting infected because of lack of access to critical supplies and care.   And even if you think the feds have the best of intentions there is no way to deny that we aren't effectively battling this thing and don't have enough protective equipment, ventilators, and treatment facilities.  

So after that long intro my question is what the heck do we do?  I  know the answer is that there really isn't much but i feel like we're just waiting around and praying that we or someone we love doesn't have to go to the hospital and be rationed care and that the front line folks won't start dying in big numbers.   It's a helpless feeling, I guess because i feel like that we as a country and a government could be doing so much more.   

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Kushner is now involved despite having no experience, and he says the federal government stockpile of supplies isn't for the states?

Kushner is the guy that early on kept telling Trump the extent of the virus threat was being embellished by the media, "fake news". Am not too confident with him being involved with this.

• Sad 1

• Premium Member

I'll admit I'm a control freak.  I'm just really sad about the whole situation but even more just infuriated at our government response.  Kemp saying he just learned you could transmit without showing symptoms, for some reason Kushner is now involved despite having no experience, and he says the federal government stockpile of supplies isn't for the states?  So they are giving the federal stockpile to private companies to in turn sell to the states.   

But politics aside people are dying.  And people are dying and getting infected because of lack of access to critical supplies and care.   And even if you think the feds have the best of intentions there is no way to deny that we aren't effectively battling this thing and don't have enough protective equipment, ventilators, and treatment facilities.  

So after that long intro my question is what the heck do we do?  I  know the answer is that there really isn't much but i feel like we're just waiting around and praying that we or someone we love doesn't have to go to the hospital and be rationed care and that the front line folks won't start dying in big numbers.   It's a helpless feeling, I guess because i feel like that we as a country and a government could be doing so much more.   

Add to that the report that 3M is selling much needed masks overseas because they are coming with 'cash in hand' and paying more. WOW!

https://www.foxnews.com/media/florida-emergency-official-3m-selling-masks-overseas

• Sad 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Add to that the report that 3M is selling much needed masks overseas because they are coming with 'cash in hand' and paying more. WOW!

https://www.foxnews.com/media/florida-emergency-official-3m-selling-masks-overseas

This is stuff that the feds can prevent.  They just won't.   We will slap tariffs willy nilly but won't stop american companies from abandoning us during a crisis.  

3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Don't want to delve to much into politics but could you imagine if a (D) president engaged in the unabashed nepotism that Trump does? The republicans would be howling. Kushner's main qualification is being the nephew of Donald Trump, not really anything else.

• Moderators

This is stuff that the feds can prevent.  They just won't.   We will slap tariffs willy nilly but won't stop american companies from abandoning us during a crisis.  

This is easily within the President's control.  If he just exercised the Defense Production Act that he authorized, companies would be treating this like we've done during emergencies in the past and converting to needed products and selling in a controlled environment to fill US needs.  The role for the Federal government is to get companies to move when they otherwise wouldn't (or wouldn't move quickly enough) and most importantly to assess and prioritize distribution between the states.  I can't explain why mandates weren't given on pushing testing, PPE and other critical equipment weeks ago.  Sometimes letting companies continue to sell to non-US customers and waiting for companies to act on their own doesn't cut it.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/hell-coming-sold-national-security-163655629.html

The above article does a real good job of summing up the timeline and refreshing our memories of the changing attitude of the virus. Most striking was the following excerpt, "

On January 30th, the CDC confirmed the 6th coronavirus infection, also the first “known” human-to-human transmission within the U.S. Thankfully, the CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield let us know that "the immediate risk to the American public is low." Nevertheless, on that same day the World Health Organization declared the outbreak a public health emergency because their “greatest concern is the potential for the virus to spread to countries with weaker health systems, and which are ill-prepared to deal with it." Thank God we have a strong health system and are well-prepared to deal with this kind of outbreaks.

The clowns at the World Health Organization urged countries not to restrict travel or trade in response to COVID-19 on January 30th as well.

On January 31st, the CDC confirmed the seventh coronavirus infection, a male who traveled to Wuhan. “We are preparing as if this were the next pandemic, but we are hopeful still that this is not and will not be the case,” the director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Dr. Nancy Messonnier said after this news came out. Very comforting!!

On January 31st, Trump also announced that all foreign nationals who had traveled to China except the immediate family members of US citizens or permanent residents won’t be allowed into the U.S.  effective February 2nd, 5 pm (EST). Better late than never, though why just China? The virus had spread to around two dozen countries by the end of January."

I remember when this all began people were acting very cavalier like it was a them problem. I remember when Trump banned those flights from China people screamed and howled at the xenophobia.  Amazing the changes in attitude seen as the timeline progressed.