• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Holy Crap! This is the apocalypse! You and I have been in total agreement from day 1. It might be time to start rethinking my life choices.😔

It is definitely not the apocalypse but it is the most serious health crisis I've seen in my lifetime.  We will survive this and our choices along the way will end up determining how much damage is done.  I've been beyond disappointed by a lot of what we've seen but even with bad mismanagement we collectively will get through.

We are on the verge of re-opening much of the economy.  I'd feel sooo much better if our nation had used the time and decided to responsibly go back to life with good social distancing, wearing masks, and taking basic preventative steps that would protect the most vulnerable in our population. 

Seeing people who think not wearing a mask is a sign of patriotism rather than callous selfishness, who lick or threaten store employees with violence for trying to enforce their company policy, etc. is disheartening because while most people will not go to these extremes many others will feel emboldened simply to not take basic steps becaues they aren't personally in a high risk category.  Not to mention it is headscratching seeing many of the same people who proclaim individual rights somehow miss the fact that when you go into a store or a restaurant it is that private company's right to set the rules not the consumer (i.e., it is 100% legal for any company to put just about whatever requirements they want on their customers whether it is mandatory to wear a shirt, shoes, mask, hard hat, whatever).  

This type of attitude where not following social distancing guidelines and not wearing basic PPE designed to protect others is a mark of independence rather than a selfish, douche move that is the best way to get restrictions put back in place has me pretty wary of what the outcome of states lifting restrictions will mean.  Definitely worried about the likelihood that this behavior will be widespread enough to trigger a disproportionate spike in transmission compared to what we would see if people would just treat each other decently and have some basic concern for the lives of their fellow Americans.  

On a personal note, I really wish this was a condition where wearing a mask protected you from transmission so that people could freely choose to assume the risk and not wear masks instead of basically forcing risk onto others when they choose not to wear a mask.

3EcrgXYFRQNq2MJ81rNw5fIHFz3FMcKcc1JkRHui

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Holy Crap! This is the apocalypse! You and I have been in total agreement from day 1. It might be time to start rethinking my life choices.😔

During an apocalyptic pandemic the heath care system would completely collapse. There's a lot of debate about data, how things are counted, non counted, etc. Who knows what the truth is. But there is no faking ICUs filled to the brim with patients dying of a respiratory illness. As long as the hospitals are in good shape, that is a more meaningful metric than any graph or model.

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Who knows what the truth is.

Our media is broken.

But it's our own fault as a people.

We... we.... conservative, liberal, and all stripes... have to all expect a higher accountability on their part, and an allegiance to professional journalism principles.

Too many have given far too many passes to the MSM, but then again, the same can be said for the cable news junkies who give ample passes to their favored networks.

A starting place, imo, is for commentary shows to begin explicitly referring to themselves as commentary shows, and for news reporting shows to begin behaving completely like their one and only job is to report news.

Cheap, sensational, political shots abound, both in the wording of how "journalists" choose to communicate a story, and in how they ask, or don't ask, questions, and who they ask or don't ask questions to.

And sometimes it's not even about being hyperpolitical, sometimes it's hyping a story in order to make it seem more important than it is for the purpose of ratings/clicks.

We need to demand better. And I cannot emphasize the word "we" enough.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

During an apocalyptic pandemic the heath care system would completely collapse. There's a lot of debate about data, how things are counted, non counted, etc. Who knows what the truth is. But there is no faking ICUs filled to the brim with patients dying of a respiratory illness. As long as the hospitals are in good shape, that is a more meaningful metric than any graph or model.

Way to take a perfectly fun tongue in check post and make it weird.

59 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

How is what I said weird? AHF didn't seem to think your comment was tongue in check. 

How is that comment not tongue in cheek?  Its the apocalypse because AHF and I completely agree, not because of corona....geez.

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, thecampster said:

How is that comment not tongue in cheek?  Its the apocalypse because AHF and I completely agree, not because of corona....geez.

In fairness, I was confused by it more than anything.  I laughed after reading your next post when I understood the original intent.

Age plays a huge, huge , huuugggeee role in Covid-19 mortality. Number of deaths per 100,000 from Covid-19 for those under age 29 and under is close to zero. Athletic NBA players in their 20's and 30's are not are risk of dying from Covid-19. They just aren't.  Enough of the BS and fear mongering. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Like that youthful Greg Popovich.  Or KAT’s mom.  Don’t want to hear a word from these entitled jerks about their personal risk or at risk members of their family.  Get back on the floor where you belong!

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Like that youthful Greg Popovich.  Or KAT’s mom.  Don’t want to hear a word from these entitled jerks about their personal risk or at risk members of their family.  Get back on the floor where you belong!

yes, the elderly and the infirm have to take special precautions, But let's not pretend young healthy people are dying in significant numbers from Covid-19. The emphasis should be on the vulnerable age groups, namely the elderly.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

yes, the elderly and the infirm have to take special precautions, But let's not pretend young healthy people are dying in significant numbers from Covid-19. The emphasis should be on the vulnerable age groups, namely the elderly.

They may rightfully be concerned about spreading it to older or immune compromised family members.  These guys rarely live alone.  It has to be a personal choice.  I’m not going to crap on someone if they aren’t ready to return to athletic competition.  If they are all comfortable and don’t have that type of responsibility in their life that is good too.  Again, their personal decision.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AHF said:

They may rightfully be concerned about spreading it to older or immune compromised family members.  These guys rarely live alone.  It has to be a personal choice.  I’m not going to crap on someone if they aren’t ready to return to athletic competition.  If they are all comfortable and don’t have that type of responsibility in their life that is good too.  Again, their personal decision.

In my opinion the risks are not that great, so long as common sense measures and precautions are taken. But if fear and anxiety are going to rule the day, then so be it. 

• Premium Member

People like to think because players get paid a ton of money they are robots. COVID-19 has had a direct impact on some of them and I will find no fault if any of decide they won't play.

Then there's this to consider:

Several general managers and athletic trainers pointed to a number of players — though they say it’s not a large percentage — whom they would describe as “germophobes.” These team officials say there are several executives and other league staffers in the same position. “I’m one of them,” one veteran front-office executive for a team in postseason contention told ESPN. Said one Eastern Conference general manager: “I’m not a germophobe, and I’m afraid.”

– via Baxter Holmes @ ESPN

Several team officials said there are players and staffers on their respective teams who fit that “germophobe” description, though none felt comfortable sharing their identities — and none faulted them for being extremely cautious on that front. But multiple Western Conference athletic training officials referred to this psychological impact as a powerful added stressor for some players that could no doubt inhibit their ability to perform, even if the NBA was able to create an ideal environment at some point in the near future.

– via Baxter Holmes @ ESPN

So it's not just lace 'em up and play and be the world's guinea pigs.

8 hours ago, AHF said:

See...I can recognize sarcasm when I see it.

8 hours ago, AHF said:

Many years ago when managing pizza restaurants it was common for prominent athlete households to ask to speak to the manager and ask that he deliver or that he let the driver know to respect their privacy. Being in Duluth at the time, we serviced Sugar Loaf Country Club where many Atlanta athletes lived at the time.  One night I delivered to Lorenzen Wright. A number of other hawks players were there that night.  But more prominently, his handicapped cousin answered the door and he had 5 or 6 family members living there with him (10,000+ square feet holds a few folks). These athletes keep a small circle, which includes mostly family members and old high school friends. Almost all have an older family member living with them or at least visiting weekly. I met a lot of them, their circle is always family. If one does good, we all do good mentality.

8 hours ago, bleachkit said:

In my opinion the risks are not that great, so long as common sense measures and precautions are taken. But if fear and anxiety are going to rule the day, then so be it. 

It isn't fear and anxiety, its risk management plain and simple. There are whole books written about it. They're an interesting read. You should pop one.  Here, here's a list. https://www.google.com/search?q=risk+management+books&oq=risk+management+book&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l2j46j0l3.2831j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Thanks 2

• Moderators
10 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Age plays a huge, huge , huuugggeee role in Covid-19 mortality. Number of deaths per 100,000 from Covid-19 for those under age 29 and under is close to zero. Athletic NBA players in their 20's and 30's are not are risk of dying from Covid-19. They just aren't.  Enough of the BS and fear mongering. 

Why just Massachusetts data?