• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

It isn't fear and anxiety, its risk management plain and simple. There are whole books written about it. They're an interesting read. You should pop one.  Here, here's a list. https://www.google.com/search?q=risk+management+books&oq=risk+management+book&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l2j46j0l3.2831j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

If testing, before entry and upon entry, is used prior to the entry of the bubble, I don't see how this is any more risky than any other business. If numerous other "non essential" businesses are underway, why cant sports? Now, whether players and teams want to deal with the headache of it all is a different matter. 

• Moderators

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/cases-deaths-projected-rise-state-reopens/q4jJqCtX9bmqujkZPa5OdK/

Projections for the spread of the novel coronavirus vary and there is great uncertainty in each of them. But the researchers who made them agree that sheltering in place worked for Georgia. The spread of the disease slowed.

What epidemiologists call the reproduction number, or “R,” sank to about 1, according to estimates from a Columbia University team; the collaboration involving Georgia Tech; and IHME.

This means that towards the end of the state’s lockdown, each person who contracted the virus spread it to about one other person — a key threshold for containing it.

If R remains even slightly above 1, the disease can overrun a health care system over the course of several months. If it remains at 1 it never goes away. If it dips below 1, the number of new cases is shrinking and the disease can be stopped.

“It was a clear indication it was working, that sheltering in place was the right decision,” said Turgay Ayer, a Georgia Tech professor and expert on healthcare analytics who was part of the Tech collaboration.

Experts in infectious disease agree that the further below 1 that R drops, the easier it is to keep a disease in check. If a state has only a handful of new cases per day, it can find the manpower and supplies to isolate each infected person and test their contacts.

This approach worked so well in South Korea that the country of more than 51 million put the novel coronavirus in check while businesses remained open, observed Columbia University Professor Jeffrey Shaman, an expert in infectious disease projections who is with that college’s team of COVID-19 modellers.

One reason South Korea’s approach is so powerful is that it identifies and isolates people who are infected before they show symptoms, keeping them from unwittingly spreading the virus.

“They’ve really throttled the disease,” he said.

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

If testing, before entry and upon entry, is used prior to the entry of the bubble, I don't see how this is any more risky than any other business. If numerous other "non essential" businesses are underway, why cant sports? Now, whether players and teams want to deal with the headache of it all is a different matter. 

One acronym - OSHA.

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHAFS-3747.pdf

"Workers’ Rights Workers have the right to: • Working conditions that do not pose a risk of serious harm. • Receive information and training (in a language and vocabulary the worker understands) about workplace hazards, methods to prevent them, and the OSHA standards that apply to their workplace. • Review records of work-related injuries and illnesses."

"Medium Exposure Risk - Workers with high-frequency interaction with the general public (e.g., those working in schools, restaurants and retail establishments, travel and mass transit, or other crowded environments)."

• Thanks 2

Its a very basic thing man. The NBA players have rights. They have a legal right to a safe work environment. Running up and down a court in a crowded building of 20,000, rubbing up and down against other sweaty athletes for an hour is not "safe" in a pandemic.

They are workers and have the right to refuse to work in a safe environment. Nobody want to watch an NBA with 20% of the stars at home protesting. You push this on the players and the next collective bargaining agreement will be insane.

You force them to work and a player like John Collins gets sick and dies or gets serious lung damage, you are looking at a law suit for his expected net income for the next 10 years.

Edited by thecampster
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, thecampster said:

Its a very basic thing man. The NBA players have rights. They have a legal right to a safe work environment. Running up and down a court in a crowded building of 20,000, rubbing up and down against other sweaty athletes for an hour is not "safe" in a pandemic.

They are workers and have the right to refuse to work in a safe environment. Nobody want to watch an NBA with 20% of the stars at home protesting. You push this on the players and the next collective bargaining agreement will be insane.

You force them to work and a player like John Collins gets sick and dies or gets serious lung damage, you are looking at a law suit for his expected net income for the next 10 years.

I find it curious grocery store workers manage to come to work everyday, but it's just too risky for NBA players. But hey, if they don't want to play then don't play. Let me know how they feel when the money dries up. I'm glad most players don't share your alarmist attitude. 

Edited by bleachkit

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I find it curious grocery store workers manage to come to work everyday, but it's just too risky for NBA players. But hey, if they don't want to play then don't play. Let me know how they feel when the money dries up.

You know the answer to this. 

First, grocery stores are an essential service in the community.  People will potentially starve if they don't operate (more broadly if food distribution and sales were shut down).  No one dies from lack of NBA games.  Entertainment is a perk not a requirement.

Second, it is the same reason CEOs don't work on the floor of their factories but line workers do.  NBA players have the financial resources to take less risk.  A much higher % of grocery store workers live paycheck to paycheck and can't afford to stay home.  Some of them do choose to shelter at home even when they legally can work.  But most (especially when they are faced with not being eligible for unemployment if they decline work offered to them by their employer) don't have the luxury of choosing.

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

You know the answer to this. 

First, grocery stores are an essential service in the community.  People will potentially starve if they don't operate (more broadly if food distribution and sales were shut down).  No one dies from lack of NBA games.  Entertainment is a perk not a requirement.

Second, it is the same reason CEOs don't work on the floor of their factories but line workers do.  NBA players have the financial resources to take less risk.  A much higher % of grocery store workers live paycheck to paycheck and can't afford to stay home.  Some of them do choose to shelter at home even when they legally can work.  But most (especially when they are faced with not being eligible for unemployment if they decline work offered to them by their employer) don't have the luxury of choosing.

Well maybe the NBA has gotten to big for their britches if their wealth is so bountiful they just can't be bothered with playing basketball anymore. 

• Moderators
9 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Well maybe the NBA has gotten to big for their britches if their wealth is so bountiful they just can't be bothered with playing basketball anymore. 

I know.  Sometimes they don’t dance when I shout “dance, dance” too.  Out of control egos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, AHF said:

I know.  Sometimes they don’t dance when I shout “dance, dance” too.  Out of control egos.

They don't have to dance for me or anyone, but the entire business model of the NBA is built around playing basketball games. I'm not really sure what a post-basketball NBA would be or look like, clearly the survival of the league depends on basketball returning. With a paucity a sports content right now, their ratings could actually be better than ever. 

• Premium Member

😳

Traces of the COVID-19 coronavirus have been found in the semen of some severely infected men, raising the possibility that the virus might be sexually transmitted, a new study from China claims.

Researchers found evidence of the virus in six men out of a group of 38 COVID-19 patients at Shangqiu Municipal Hospital in China who provided samples.

The six men included four who were still infected and two who were recovering, the researchers said.

(CNN)The new coronavirus can persist in men's semen even after they have begun to recover, a finding that raises the possibility the virus could be sexually transmitted, Chinese researchers said Thursday.

A team at Shangqiu Municipal Hospital tested 38 male patients treated there at the height of the pandemic in China, in January and February.

About 16% of them had evidence of the coronavirus in their semen, the team reported in the journal JAMA Network Open. About a quarter of them were in the acute stage of infection and nearly 9% of them were recovering, the team reported.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/coronavirus-mens-semen-survivors-sexual-transmission-covid-19/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/05/07/health/coronavirus-semen-china-health/index.html

• Premium Member

Hmmm. That's stunning news for all those who enjoy sex without any physical contact. Right?

"I was going to have sex with him even though I knew he might be a carrier, but when I learned his semen could have the virus, that's when I said to my self "whoooa!"... that's far too risky." 😄

• Haha 1