• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't think this information got that much attention yesterday but it's important

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/05/20/coronavirus-does-not-spread-easily-surfaces-objects-cdc/5232748002/

I know lots of people who thought surfaces was the primary method of spread but that appears to not be the case.  To me it makes sense with the way the infection has spread so far.   While this is somewhat good news it shows just how infectious it is through person to person interaction.   

And to me it shows why everyone should be wearing masks when they are going places.   I'm not understanding how masks has become yet another political football (well i know how but not why), but everyone wearing them is a key piece of getting back to some normalcy without another surge. 

I think it shows there's still alot we don't know about CV19. It's a learning process and takes time.

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

And to me it shows why everyone should be wearing masks when they are going places.   I'm not understanding how masks has become yet another political football (well i know how but not why), but everyone wearing them is a key piece of getting back to some normalcy without another surge. 

Yes.   It takes a special kind of ***hole to push the narrative that not wearing a mask makes you patriotic.  It is literally something that is about how protected your fellow Americans are.  Wish we had someone making the case that all Americans of every political stripe should do this to pull together and support each other.  It should be the biggest no-brainer of this whole issue.

• Like 3

• Moderators

For Atlantans this site might be helpful

https://atlstrong.org/

Here is this weeks dashboard that has the metrics the city is measuring to determine movement through the 5 phases of re-opening.   These are Atlanta guidelines but not regulations as the state regulations override local ones.  So even though we are in phase II that still only allows take out from restaurants, any restaurant in the city can legal open if they choose to.  

https://atlstrong.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/COVID_Dashboard.pdf

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Man Behind Sweden’s Controversial Virus Strategy Admits Mistakes

Sweden’s top epidemiologist has admitted his strategy to fight Covid-19 resulted in too many deaths, after persuading his country to avoid a strict lockdown.....At 43 deaths per 100,000, Sweden’s mortality rate is among the highest globally and far exceeds that of neighboring Denmark and Norway, which imposed much tougher lockdowns at the onset of the pandemic.

“Clearly, there is potential for improvement in what we have done in Sweden,” Tegnell said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-06-03/man-behind-sweden-s-virus-strategy-says-he-got-some-things-wrong?__twitter_impression=true

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2020 at 12:09 PM, thecampster said:

Its a very basic thing man. The NBA players have rights. They have a legal right to a safe work environment. Running up and down a court in a crowded building of 20,000, rubbing up and down against other sweaty athletes for an hour is not "safe" in a pandemic.

They are workers and have the right to refuse to work in a safe environment. Nobody want to watch an NBA with 20% of the stars at home protesting. You push this on the players and the next collective bargaining agreement will be insane.

You force them to work and a player like John Collins gets sick and dies or gets serious lung damage, you are looking at a law suit for his expected net income for the next 10 years.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nba-players-on-restart-plan-not-so-fast-11592139635

So I was thinking about this while rolling out of bed this morning. Funny how I wrote this in the context of Covid and forcing players back to work. This was just 5 weeks ago. Now this is coming to fruition but with a completely different reason.

I am wondering though if the other issues aren't giving the players cover who still fear Covid and don't want to return for that reason.

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Then there's this...

2 vs 260 - that's not even close. Which is it? 

Florida is some kinda special, lol.

😂 Forget Orlando. Can’t we set up a bubble in Greenland 🇬🇱

Seriously we are sending these players straight into the abyss! 😂 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

😂 Forget Orlando. Can’t we set up a bubble in Greenland 🇬🇱

Seriously we are sending these players straight into the abyss! 😂 

and you made fun of Trump when you said he wanted to buy Greenland....see it was all a business ploy...conspiracies I say, conspiracies.  Okay I kid...nobody go off on this.

• Haha 1

• Moderators

Florida is super shady right now with Covid.  Lots of issue swirling about an employee who was in charge of data being fired and alleging that she was asked for falsify narratives to support reopenings, that data was suppressed and falsified.  In addition, they aren't even counting positive tests using anti-body methodology.  Even with all that, the number of positives is dramatically rising both in total number and on a per test basis.  (I.e., increased testing is not the reason for the rise in positives because the testing is not much changed but the total positive numbers are much higher of late and the rate of positives also much higher).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The virus didn't go away.  Lots and lots of people are still very sick and many don't survive.

All you Squawkers be safe.  Remember what Sachiel Paige would say:  "Don't ever look back.  Something may be gaining on you!"

:smug:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1