• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

3 hours ago, bleachkit said:

It should be noted that masks are not without their downside for certain communities. Masks have been very difficult for the hearing impaired, who rely on lip reading as part of everyday communication.

I would like to believe that most deaf people would rather people respect the pandemic than allow them to lip read in public. There are other ways to communicate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

So because you're not personally hearing impaired, it doesn't matter? Not one of your better comments.

You're making assumptions. I'm saying what was the point of your comment? You brought up hearing impaired people out of the blue. What does hearing impaired have to do with my comment that business have the right to tell you what you can and can not wear in their establishment.  They all have caveats for the disabled mind you.

And don't make assumptions about who I care about  because you don't know me nor the the people I deal with in my life.  I'll leave it at that.

Edited by marco102

52 minutes ago, marco102 said:

You're making assumptions. I'm saying what was the point of your comment? You brought up hearing impaired people out of the blue. What does hearing impaired have to do with my comment that business have the right to tell you what you can and can not wear in their establishment.  They all have caveats for the disabled mind you.

And don't make assumptions about who I care about  because you don't know me nor the the people I deal with in my life.  I'll leave it at that.

You made a post in defense of masks, and the rights of businesses to insist on them. However, many do not realize that they cause difficulty for the hearing impaired. It's germane to the discussion.

Just now, bleachkit said:

You made a post in defense of masks, and the rights of businesses to insist on them. However, many do not realize that they cause difficulty for the hearing impaired. It's germane to the discussion.

You seem to think you are providing new information to me, but you aren't.  Do you think I was saying I support businesses not allowing people with true disabilities that mask affect not into their establishment or do you think I was talking about the fully healthy people who just don't want to wear them for political purposes?

When you answer that questions you can see why I made my snarky comment.

6 minutes ago, marco102 said:

You seem to think you are providing new information to me, but you aren't.  Do you think I was saying I support businesses not allowing people with true disabilities that mask affect not into their establishment or do you think I was talking about the fully healthy people who just don't want to wear them for political purposes?

When you answer that questions you can see why I made my snarky comment.

I didn't mean to offend you . You made a pro-mask post, and I was pointing out that masks are difficult for the hearing impaired. It even spurred an informative post from our moderator about accessible deaf-friendly face masks 😁😁

• Like 1

Just now, bleachkit said:

I didn't mean to offend you . You made a pro-mask post, and I was pointing out that masks are difficult for the hearing impaired. It even spurred an informative post from our moderator about accessible deaf-friendly face masks 😁😁

Cool.  I just didn't understand with all the pro masks posts you chose mine to quote. You could have simple made the statement in the thread.  Yes, I'm pro mask, but I'm also pro common sense. If a mask truely hurts someone with a disability of course they shouldn't wear them.  However, businesses have to make reasonable accomodations for the hearing impaired, so if that's the case, I'm sure they will simple write or text to help that person communicate. 

HOWEVER, I just believed you were  just trying to be a smarty pants with me. If that wasn't the case, I apologize for my aggression. 

13 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Cool.  I just didn't understand with all the pro masks posts you chose mine to quote. You could have simple made the statement in the thread.  Yes, I'm pro mask, but I'm also pro common sense. If a mask truely hurts someone with a disability of course they shouldn't wear them.  However, businesses have to make reasonable accomodations for the hearing impaired, so if that's the case, I'm sure they will simple write or text to help that person communicate. 

HOWEVER, I just believed you were  just trying to be a smarty pants with me. If that wasn't the case, I apologize for my aggression. 

It's like in basketball discussions. You say "such-and-such is a good player", and I respond with "yea, but he's a lousy on-ball defender" and then you go "did I say he was good on-ball defender?" No worries. 

16 hours ago, High5 said:

Why not just wear a mask instead of weighing the risk of your various activities? Especially if you’re in and out of the store. It’s a minor inconvenience that could save your life or someone else’s.

and here we go, "why do I need to justify myself to some random person who I don't know, won't bump into on the street?" this is what I'm talking about on the freedom angle of this. Not jumping you, but using you as an example. If Bob, Jane or "Camp" make a choice that is acceptable in the public space, you don't have a right to confront them or even question them. You have the same choice to make, to enter that space. If I make you uncomfortable, you can choose not to enter. You have no more right to the space than I do. If I'm within the rules of the space, you don't have the right to make new rules, impose your morality.

I see a societal danger here that you aren't seeing, addressing. We all say don't give in to peer pressure, be your own man but then we spend 90% of our time trying to change other people's behavior. It isn't up to you to decide if wearing a mask is an inconvenience. Yes it is rude for others to expect me to have to justify my legal actions to every person who questions them. I see a very uncomfortable trend here toward society at the lowest level feeling the right to moderate behavior. This is the very beginning of the mob mentality and the loss of freedom. Very deep concept here, but please allow me some leeway. 

Many, many of the people yelling wear a mask really couldn't tell you the first thing about this virus, its transmission, survival rates, lifespan on surfaces or in the air. Its no different than the Boogie Man to them but they continue to have extremely strong opinions in the public space about it because they saw something on tv (both sides fyi). At some point, a question has to be asked. "How long do we let the uneducated mob, dictate policy?" This is deeper than Corona but goes into all aspects of the political space. 

From the very beginning of this outbreak, I have been in favor of social distancing, shelter in place and engaging in risk management. However, I am not in favor of the mob being able to dictate mine or anyone else's behavior. I was in favor of my company making the choice to engage the BCP (Business Continuity Pan) and begin work from home, but I've been against the government "mandating" work from home. I'm all for a grocery store "mandating" masks to enter the stores, enforcing social distancing, blocking off entrances as enter/exit. But I an 100% against the random customer trying to enforce it in the store. I'm all for stores making the decision to adjust their hours, making curbside pickup mandatory, or installing spit screens at the checkout and wiping down credit card machines and carts often. I am not for empowering the average Yahoo to make those choices for me.

Ask yourself this, do you know how long this thing lives on surfaces? Do you know the chances of air to air transmission? Do you know how many cases are in your county as opposed to mine? Yes you feel empowered to make a judgment or offer advice. I find this highly dangerous to empower the average citizen to feel like the Corona police, religious police, diet police, hygiene police, window shades police, eco warrior police or straws police.  

Not hammering on you but using it to frame my entire stance on this.

• Moderators

Seems like people freak out when others walk around in revealing clothes in public spaces and are ok with them being thrown off airplanes for it.   But suggest someone put on a mask because it's one of the most effective ways to prevent spread of a pandemic and it's an affront to liberty!   

• Like 2

Think I'll stick with the latest guidelines by the CDC. Even Bubba Kemp has commented that even though it is not a state mandate people should wear masks in public. Guessing someone else wrote that comment for him to spout but still....

https://www.wjbf.com/lifestyle/health/coronavirus/cdcs-new-guidelines-on-masks-and-state-leaders-response/

• Moderators

No one can definitely know they aren't an asymptomatic carrier.  The only sensible approach is for everyone to treat it like they are.   And it is an absolute no-brainer from a health perspective what the right thing to do is.  It is not an individual decision because the decision affects others without their consent.  So you either stay away from people, wear the mask to protect others, or deliberately put others at risk.

• Moderators

For our Office and Retail Business-Owner Squawkers, an advisory to watch out for these lovely flyers and cards from No-Mask barging would-be customers.

(Americans with "Disability" (sp.) Act, is kind of a giveaway. Despite the fancy-schmancy RWB eagle graphic, "FTBA" is not some Federal enforcement agency but a Facebook novelty.) 

news.online.exemptioncards.6-23.png

https://www.ada.gov/covid-19_flyer_alert.html?fbclid=IwAR2GDFoIJcwo5djxkrbB-v-eA1ROlaIfcgum8hAX7k1DodID55npTMZFZN8

The Department of Justice has been made aware of postings or flyers on the internet regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the use of face masks due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many of which include the Department of Justice’s seal. 

These postings were not issued by the Department and are not endorsed by the Department.

The Department urges the public not to rely on the information contained in these postings and to visit ADA.gov for ADA information issued by the Department.

For more information and technical assistance about the ADA, please contact the ADA Information Line at 800-514-0301 (voice) and 800-514-0383 (TTY).

~lw3

• Sad 3

7 hours ago, thecampster said:

and here we go, "why do I need to justify myself to some random person who I don't know, won't bump into on the street?" this is what I'm talking about on the freedom angle of this. Not jumping you, but using you as an example. If Bob, Jane or "Camp" make a choice that is acceptable in the public space, you don't have a right to confront them or even question them. You have the same choice to make, to enter that space. If I make you uncomfortable, you can choose not to enter. You have no more right to the space than I do. If I'm within the rules of the space, you don't have the right to make new rules, impose your morality.

I see a societal danger here that you aren't seeing, addressing. We all say don't give in to peer pressure, be your own man but then we spend 90% of our time trying to change other people's behavior. It isn't up to you to decide if wearing a mask is an inconvenience. Yes it is rude for others to expect me to have to justify my legal actions to every person who questions them. I see a very uncomfortable trend here toward society at the lowest level feeling the right to moderate behavior. This is the very beginning of the mob mentality and the loss of freedom. Very deep concept here, but please allow me some leeway. 

Many, many of the people yelling wear a mask really couldn't tell you the first thing about this virus, its transmission, survival rates, lifespan on surfaces or in the air. Its no different than the Boogie Man to them but they continue to have extremely strong opinions in the public space about it because they saw something on tv (both sides fyi). At some point, a question has to be asked. "How long do we let the uneducated mob, dictate policy?" This is deeper than Corona but goes into all aspects of the political space. 

From the very beginning of this outbreak, I have been in favor of social distancing, shelter in place and engaging in risk management. However, I am not in favor of the mob being able to dictate mine or anyone else's behavior. I was in favor of my company making the choice to engage the BCP (Business Continuity Pan) and begin work from home, but I've been against the government "mandating" work from home. I'm all for a grocery store "mandating" masks to enter the stores, enforcing social distancing, blocking off entrances as enter/exit. But I an 100% against the random customer trying to enforce it in the store. I'm all for stores making the decision to adjust their hours, making curbside pickup mandatory, or installing spit screens at the checkout and wiping down credit card machines and carts often. I am not for empowering the average Yahoo to make those choices for me.

Ask yourself this, do you know how long this thing lives on surfaces? Do you know the chances of air to air transmission? Do you know how many cases are in your county as opposed to mine? Yes you feel empowered to make a judgment or offer advice. I find this highly dangerous to empower the average citizen to feel like the Corona police, religious police, diet police, hygiene police, window shades police, eco warrior police or straws police.  

Not hammering on you but using it to frame my entire stance on this.

I'm not a "random, uneducated yahoo" approaching you in a store and telling you to wear a mask when it's not required. I'm just asking why you wouldn't. You seem to have an otherwise healthy respect for the virus (unlike the many people who still believe it's some kind of hoax). Masks aren't an attack on your freedom. They're just basic protection against the spread of a virus that has killed 123,000 people and counting. I don't know why it has to be such a controversial topic.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, High5 said:

I'm not a "random, uneducated yahoo" approaching you in a store and telling you to wear a mask when it's not required. I'm just asking why you wouldn't. You seem to have an otherwise healthy respect for the virus (unlike the many people who still believe it's some kind of hoax). Masks aren't an attack on your freedom. They're just basic protection against the spread of a virus that has killed 123,000 people and counting. I don't know why it has to be such a controversial topic.

Because I don't want to. That should be enough. The idea that I owe someone an explanation (who will most likely argue with that explanation) is a bit crazy and the crux of what I'm saying.

15 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Because I don't want to. That should be enough. The idea that I owe someone an explanation (who will most likely argue with that explanation) is a bit crazy and the crux of what I'm saying.

That’s disappointing to hear. 

4 minutes ago, High5 said:

That’s disappointing to hear. 

and that right there is the infringement.  You're applying social pressure, believing you have a right to influence me in the public space. Shaming me is the exact worse way to get my cooperation. See, you're pushing past the very core of what I'm saying because you know its right. You wanna make it a law, so be it. You bend it against the court of public opinion. I'm okay with that. But you start thinking you have the right to tell others how to behave, what risks to take, etc because it fits your own personal morality, then we have a problem. I said the exact same thing to Bleachkit and he's on the other side of the issue. I don't want him forcing his morality on me and I don't wanna force mine on him. I don't want him forcing a state open too early and I don't want you restricting personal freedom in the public space. You're gonna hate this, but I'm in the middle on this. I'm the centrist......which is weird for me, trust me.