• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

All things considered, the NBA should be relieved by that number. Could have easily been 15 to 20%

I think for the most part the players adhered to the initial stay at home orders and the NBA directives when the season was suspended. Then practice facilities opened, more movement, protest participation etc.

I wonder if any of the 16 is from anyone who had it previously - Gobert, Mitchell, Smart, 3 BKN players etc.

I guess they aren't testing players from the uninvited teams? Just the WDW bound teams?

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I guess they aren't testing players from the uninvited teams? Just the WDW bound teams?

I would assume that is the case as well.  If the Hawks end up doing something with one or more of the non-WDW bound teams, there will almost surely need to be another round of testing specific to that group.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Dexamethasone has been very helpful in Europe for preventing serious lung damage. Covid-19 can cause a cytokine storm in some, which leads to the immune system attacking the lungs due to an out of control inflammatory response. 

• Thanks 2

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Dexamethasone has been very helpful in Europe for preventing serious lung damage. Covid-19 can cause a cytokine storm in some, which leads to the immune system attacking the lungs due to an out of control inflammatory response. 

Yeah.   Hopefully good standard treatments are being developed.   

4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

5% Positive rate.

Exactly following the nationwide trends.

Once again, the test for the NBA is going to come when one of their superstar players get the Rona during the playoffs,  Or what if multiple teammates get it.  Do they stop that series and wait for everyone to get healthy?  Or does the NBA tell those teams . . "too bad" . . and continue the series?

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Exactly following the nationwide trends.

Once again, the test for the NBA is going to come when one of their superstar players get the Rona during the playoffs,  Or what if multiple teammates get it.  Do they stop that series and wait for everyone to get healthy?  Or does the NBA tell those teams . . "too bad" . . and continue the series?

Per Silver....the beat goes on. Exception: If there is 'Significant Spread'

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Per Silver....the beat goes on. Exception: If there is 'Significant Spread'

Finally Silver is treating this virus appropriately and not listening to the rhetoric of the main stream media.  Player will be exposed to this virus regardless of what they do.  A positive test is not a death sentence in these players.  Most will be totally asymptomatic and once they have had it, they will slowly develop herd immunity among all players which is beneficial to the country!

A comment online from a friend of my much better half. This from a nurse. Just a guess here, some folks won't give a damn.

Anyone who thinks their “right” to walk in public without a mask is more important than a “few” people losing their lives to this virus, has never stood by a dying patient’s bedside while holding an iPad so their family can say goodbye. I promise, it will haunt you.

• Sad 2

Some common sense trying to take hold it seems Two very hot spots being Florida and Texas are shutting down bars for now. Even buddies of you know who can snap out of the foggy haze at least for a while I guess.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/26/austin-texas-mayor-steve-adler-coronavirus-341016

On 6/24/2020 at 9:27 AM, macdaddy said:

Seems like people freak out when others walk around in revealing clothes in public spaces and are ok with them being thrown off airplanes for it.   But suggest someone put on a mask because it's one of the most effective ways to prevent spread of a pandemic and it's an affront to liberty!   

Just a fair reminder, some of us have put on a real mask in defense of liberty and take it at great offense when those that didn't forget it.  Really not down with people calling to question my willingness to sacrifice for others. I gave up my family more than once to go somewhere to train for this.  For those that have never seen it. This is what every basic training recruit must do and those being deployed must refresh. You spend weeks with your mask on your hip and are forced to throw it on at a moments notice. You must learn to size it, clear it, clean it, inspect it and you become fully versed in how they work. All of that in preparation for this day (see below). Then when deployed in a hostile box (and I have) it goes with you every day, ready to put it on in a moments notice. 

12 hours ago, Thomas said:

A comment online from a friend of my much better half. This from a nurse. Just a guess here, some folks won't give a damn.

Anyone who thinks their “right” to walk in public without a mask is more important than a “few” people losing their lives to this virus, has never stood by a dying patient’s bedside while holding an iPad so their family can say goodbye. I promise, it will haunt you.

Not trying to go down this rabbit hole. But politicizing masks is not helpful, be it the notion that requesting one to wear a mask is an "affront to liberty", or conversely, characterizing those who aren't wearing masks as "killers."  Honestly, the most important thing in preventing Covid deaths is identifying and isolating vulnerable groups, namely the elderly. Nearly half of all Covid deaths are from nursing homes and long term care facilities. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Finally Silver is treating this virus appropriately and not listening to the rhetoric of the main stream media.  Player will be exposed to this virus regardless of what they do.  A positive test is not a death sentence in these players.  Most will be totally asymptomatic and once they have had it, they will slowly develop herd immunity among all players which is beneficial to the country!

Silver is so politically correct. He would never utter such truths. Fact: You're probably more likely to get Covid-19 shopping at Whole Foods/Walmart/Target than you are in the bubble. Fact: The odds of a young healthy athlete becoming seriously ill from Covid-19 are extremely low. The odds of a young healthy athlete dying of Covid-19 are infinitesimally low. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I don't know how you got to that interpretation.

Treating it appropriately by having a bubble, wearing masks, social distancing, wearable tech for early detection, testing, testing and more frequent testing to track and trace the spread, a hotline for players that break the bubble, players leaving the bubble will have to quarantine before returning and the list goes on and on - that is more care, concern and protocols established more than anywhere else.

His point is that once the season starts, a single positive test won't stop the season. That player will follow the 14 day quarantine protocol before being allowed to return to their team.  If the positive tests becomes too widespread then there is considerations for stopping the season again.

To that end, I asked Silver to address some of those scenarios on Friday and he offered one significant revelation: While it’s possible that an outbreak on the campus could lead to them shutting the season down for a second time, league officials have not yet determined the breaking point that might compel them to do so.

“If we were to have significant spread of coronavirus through our community, that ultimately might lead us to stopping,” he said. “But we’re working closely with the Players Association, with Disney and public health officials in Florida as to what that line should be. It hasn’t been precisely designed. I think we want to get down on the ground and start to see how our test is working and how the protocols are working, and then we’ll make decisions as we go.”

As for the protocol if key players are sidelined by a positive test, Silver said all players will be treated equally.

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Before the media was reporting a positive test would automatically disqualify an athlete from competition. This is no longer the case.

I have not seen that. Rudy Gobert's positive test shut down the entire league. That was March 11th. 

We are just now restarting with the rules in place. I don't remember ever seeing that a player would be disqualified permanently. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I have not seen that. Rudy Gobert's positive test shut down the entire league. That was March 11th. 

We are just now restarting with the rules in place. I don't remember ever seeing that a player would be disqualified permanently. 

During the initial talks it was stated that players would be out after a positive test.

But I'm happy that the league is being more prgressive