Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dr-marc-siegel-science-behind-033432993.html

Found this video interesting. Not because of what it says, but because of what it doesn't. It doesn't give the statistical improvements. It also points out the danger in the reuse of masks and their ability to actually breed viruses if not disposed of or cleaned properly.

Does anyone find it Hypocritical of these players saying that they are concerned for their Safety with the Season starting back in Orlando, yet there have been 25 players to test positive for the Virus since June 23rd.  Evidently they have not been following the required guidelines or else there would not be this many positive test. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Blunt91 said:

Does anyone find it Hypocritical of these players saying that they are concerned for their Safety with the Season starting back in Orlando, yet there have been 25 players to test positive for the Virus since June 23rd.  Evidently they have not been following the required guidelines or else there would not be this many positive test. 

I know what you mean but i don't know if it's the concerned ones who have tested positive.   

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Blunt91 said:

Dont worry, it'll magically disappear when the weather gets warmer...Oh wait...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, thecampster said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alabama-college-students-throwing-covid-094819467.html

Because the Darwin Awards have been getting boring.

I think we've done young people a disservice by saying the disease is less deadly to them. Yes it is.  However, there are still undertermined long term affects of having the disease even with mild cases that don't require hospitilization.

Even as a 21 year old. I wouldn't be up for the above.  I'm not for getting sick.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Blunt91 said:

Mmmmm.......for those that have been following the rules and have not tested positive that's 95%...you would summise they have been following the rules and guidelines and you assume have done the right thing...so how are they being hypocritical???

For the 5% that have tested positive, are they the ones saying they are concerned for their safety?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Mmmmm.......for those that have been following the rules and have not tested positive that's 95%...you would summise they have been following the rules and guidelines and you assume have done the right thing...so how are they being hypocritical???

For the 5% that have tested positive, are they the ones saying they are concerned for their safety?

Don"t know, 25 people with in 9 days is still a good bit off people.  I just think it's more to it than them being worried about the Virus as to why they don't want to play.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Blunt91 said:

Don"t know, 25 people with in 9 days is still a good bit off people.  I just think it's more to it than them being worried about the Virus as to why they don't want to play.

What do you mean 25 in 9 days? 16 positives of the initially tested on the 23rd. So it's 9 additional players in 9 days.

And you do know that even if tested today, it doesn't mean you can't be positive 3 days later. Why do you think they recommend quarantining 14 days if you have been exposed. It takes awhile for it to show up on the test.

6 hours ago, marco102 said:

I think we've done young people a disservice by saying the disease is less deadly to them. Yes it is.  However, there are still undertermined long term affects of having the disease even with mild cases that don't require hospitilization.

Even as a 21 year old. I wouldn't be up for the above.  I'm not for getting sick.

I completely disagree. It's actually the opposite. We have done our seniors a tremendous disservice by not emphasizing how much more vulnerable they are to Covid-19 than other groups. Take a look at the data from the CDC, it's pretty damning. Also the notion that players are more likely to get Covid-19 in the bubble playing basketball than elsewhere does not stand to reason. The bubble has testing and precautions unlike virtually anywhere else. People are not scared doing ordinary things because they blissfully unaware of the ubiquitous Covid-19 asymptomatic cases all around them. 

coronavirus%20covid%20mortality%20us%20b

"Does anyone find it Hypocritical of these players saying that they are concerned for their Safety with the Season starting back in Orlando, yet there have been 25 players to test positive for the Virus since June 23rd.  Evidently they have not been following the required guidelines or else there would not be this many positive test."

9 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I know what you mean but i don't know if it's the concerned ones who have tested positive.   

I don't thinks fair to imply the ones who tested positive were being irresponsible, or had behavior any different than anyone else. Unless you have been strictly sequestered to your home this entire time, and at this point almost everyone has been out to some extent, there is a chance you can catch it. There are factors like immunity, geography, and luck, that play a role in whether you contract it or not. But I bristle when I hear athletes talk about personal safety in terms of Covid-19. I think it's disrespectful to our seniors who are at much, much greater risk.

Edited by bleachkit

8 hours ago, bleachkit said:

"Does anyone find it Hypocritical of these players saying that they are concerned for their Safety with the Season starting back in Orlando, yet there have been 25 players to test positive for the Virus since June 23rd.  Evidently they have not been following the required guidelines or else there would not be this many positive test."

I don't thinks fair to imply the ones who tested positive were being irresponsible, or had behavior any different than anyone else. Unless you have been strictly sequestered to your home this entire time, and at this point almost everyone has been out to some extent, there is a chance you can catch it. There are factors like immunity, geography, and luck, that play a role in whether you contract it or not. But I bristle when I hear athletes talk about personal safety in terms of Covid-19. I think it's disrespectful to our seniors who are at much, much greater risk.

25 year old player, 8-10 good years of playing ahead of them at 3-5 million a season.  I'm not risking 24-50 million dollars over a few months of basketball. No, I don't see it as hypocritical at all. Their lungs are their money makers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, thecampster said:

25 year old player, 8-10 good years of playing ahead of them at 3-5 million a season.  I'm not risking 24-50 million dollars over a few months of basketball. No, I don't see it as hypocritical at all. Their lungs are their money makers.

These guys are testing positive without basketball (7% positive thus far) risking this same 24-50 million by being irresponsible in their private lives so why the hypocrisy?  The league appears to be trying to save these guys from themselves but yet there are complaints? Weird

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

Why would an athlete be more likely to contract Covid 19 in the bubble, where everyone is tested, than elsewhere? They are more likely to contract it going to Walmart or to a bar than they are in the bubble. The bubble is literally one of the few workplaces places in the country where everyone is tested for Covid-19. Virtually no other employers are providing that level of safety.

Edited by bleachkit

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Why would an athlete be more likely to contract Covid 19 in the bubble, where everyone is tested, than elsewhere? They are more likely to contract it going to Walmart or to a bar than they are in the bubble. The bubble is literally one of the few workplaces places in the country where everyone is tested for Covid-19. Virtually no other employers are providing that level of safety.

Self isolating, best bet. It only takes one infection making it into the bubble to make the bubble not safe. Again, this whole thing boils down to personal risk management. It isn't selfish to say, "I'm making the best choices for me based on what I deem necessary.".  Its called survival, not selfishness.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I completely disagree. It's actually the opposite. We have done our seniors a tremendous disservice by not emphasizing how much more vulnerable they are to Covid-19 than other groups. Take a look at the data from the CDC, it's pretty damning. Also the notion that players are more likely to get Covid-19 in the bubble playing basketball than elsewhere does not stand to reason. The bubble has testing and precautions unlike virtually anywhere else. People are not scared doing ordinary things because they blissfully unaware of the ubiquitous Covid-19 asymptomatic cases all around them. 

coronavirus%20covid%20mortality%20us%20b

I don’t disagree with the notion that there may be long term effects that we don’t know about and a lot of young people’s behavior seems to reflect a belief they are not at any real risk.  Lung damage, diabetes, etc.  We don’t know what survivors may be seeing in 10 years.

That said, there has been an extreme callousness to the health and welfare of our seniors by certain people so you aren’t wrong either.

I’d also say these go hand in hand.  If some people feel free to get exposed or to not take basic steps to protect others they will end up leading to more exposure of seniors.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Self isolating, best bet. It only takes one infection making it into the bubble to make the bubble not safe. Again, this whole thing boils down to personal risk management. It isn't selfish to say, "I'm making the best choices for me based on what I deem necessary.".  Its called survival, not selfishness.

Unless you're a player who has been strictly self isolating and avoiding going out entirely, the bubble poses no greater risk, if fact less risk, than other settings. I would venture to guess not many players, not many people period, have been strictly self isolating during the entire course of this pandemic. The bubble is one of the safest, perhaps the safest, workplaces in America.