• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Or may have ridden on a bus with someone who tested positive and are now being flagged through contact tracing, etc.

I'll do some research when I get home but I haven't heard of 1 case of transmition from an asymptomatic person testing negatve shortly before contact.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

I'll do some research when I get home but I haven't heard of 1 case of transmition from an asymptomatic person testing negatve shortly before contact.

It can also be purely due to incorrect administration of the test or problem with the equipment, etc. in which case it will be negative no matter what the other circumstances are.  The point is that a negative test is not a risk free situation but the testing will absolutely help to creat a much lower risk environment.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

It can also be purely due to incorrect administration of the test or problem with the equipment, etc. in which case it will be negative no matter what the other circumstances are.  The point is that a negative test is not a risk free situation but the testing will absolutely help to creat a much lower risk environment.

so you think the NBA will hire incompetent health care workers now.  I'm not that paranoid.

12 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I completely disagree. It's actually the opposite. We have done our seniors a tremendous disservice by not emphasizing how much more vulnerable they are to Covid-19 than other groups. Take a look at the data from the CDC, it's pretty damning. Also the notion that players are more likely to get Covid-19 in the bubble playing basketball than elsewhere does not stand to reason. The bubble has testing and precautions unlike virtually anywhere else. People are not scared doing ordinary things because they blissfully unaware of the ubiquitous Covid-19 asymptomatic cases all around them. 

coronavirus%20covid%20mortality%20us%20b

Reread what I said. I specifically said that although young people aren't dying there still may be long term effects from the disease. You shouldn't be throwing parties to get the virus just because it won't kill you. What if it causes you to have a stroke or heart attack? Yeah, they may not kill you but who wants that ?

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The players are apparently being tested twice a day and y'all  still think there is more risk than no testing. Ok

IIRC, I saw daily testing for players, unless that has changed.

Bottom line, this is a disease that appears to not pose great risk to young healthy people. But better to be safe and sorry. So NBA has gone greats lengths using isolation and testing to mitigate the likelihood of a spread. Nothing is absolutely full proof. If you cannot accept the risk of a car accident, you could never drive. You can't accept the risk of losing money, you could never buy stocks or real estate. The only alternative is wait until a vaccine is available, that could be a very long time. So let's play ball!

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

:ahf:

I give up.  Just go do some reading.

What I meant to say was y'all believe no test while social distancing like in a hospital is safer the testing with no distancing like on a basketball court correct?

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

What I meant to say was y'all believe no test while social distancing like in a hospital is safer the testing with no distancing like on a basketball court correct?

I would prefer everyone tested and not social distanced, vs no one tested and social distanced, if only given those choices. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

so you think the NBA will hire incompetent health care workers now.  I'm not that paranoid.

Bob has been in the NBA 5 years. Bob has already earned $15 million and has $5 million saved. 

Bob is told he can report to work to earn $1.5 million more over the next 3 months but that comes with risk that could include the negation of future earnings and or death. 

Bob can self isolate reducing his risk, wait on a vaccine, resume his career and make $30 million more in the next 8 years.

I really am having problems with people not understanding the very basic cause and effect calculation here. They are blessed, they are richer than most of us. They can afford to make these choices. They don't owe us anything. They've fulfilled their contracts to date and their contracts do not include engaging in unsafe play (arguably). The parameters of their play are well established by the CBA.

It isn't selfish, it isn't wrong or right, its a choice. You know, America, freedom to choose, speak, do stuff.  They are making personal choices and costing themselves income now, hedging the bet against income and health later.  So be it.

• Like 3

A few nuggets to think about here. If Covid cases continue to rise in the next month or so, we are looking at the cancellation of the college football season and potentially the pro football season.

Now most of these stadiums are highly dependent on the revenue from the gate and television to pay the 30 to 50 year notes on the stadiums. the things we are all arguing over are very small potatoes compared to the financial impact to cities over the city backed stadiums, naming rights deals, etc if we go longer than 1 season without sports. These are not tightly stacked dominos. They are built on complex financial models that require generation of income constantly. The "owners" typically leverage their purchases against the value of their other businesses. Most of those businesses have felt some effect from the virus. The rush back, the protests, the rallies, those big events are setting up a financial house of cards that may impact sports for 20 years to come.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

A few nuggets to think about here. If Covid cases continue to rise in the next month or so, we are looking at the cancellation of the college football season and potentially the pro football season.

Now most of these stadiums are highly dependent on the revenue from the gate and television to pay the 30 to 50 year notes on the stadiums. the things we are all arguing over are very small potatoes compared to the financial impact to cities over the city backed stadiums, naming rights deals, etc if we go longer than 1 season without sports. These are not tightly stacked dominos. They are built on complex financial models that require generation of income constantly. The "owners" typically leverage their purchases against the value of their other businesses. Most of those businesses have felt some effect from the virus. The rush back, the protests, the rallies, those big events are setting up a financial house of cards that may impact sports for 20 years to come.

We certainly won't have far to look!

Like a good neighbor, will Moody's be there for State Farm Arena?

(AJC//April 22, 2020) Ratings agency Moody’s is considering downgrading bonds that back the $200 million renovation of State Farm Arena because of an anticipated steep drop-off in car rental taxes brought on by the coronavirus.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/moody-may-downgrade-atlanta-bonds-weak-car-rental-tax-collections/FIMvdCNYGZzo6SyVCjDWzN/

~lw3

• Like 1