• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
2 hours ago, thecampster said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-third-heat-rotation-player-130015639.html

I'm about 91.34% positive we aren't playing or finishing the NBA season. What are the Heat supposed to do now, borrow a Magic?

Hopefully it won't go further than those 3 but once a crack forms in that screening armor, the nature of the game means a very high risk of spreading the disease.  This is why the NBA isn't insisting people play.  I don't have any problem with anyone comfortable with that risk given their personal risk profile and circumstances but likewise can't fault anyone who can't get comfortable.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

So just on a personal level (hopefully not too political), If you have kids or yourself or spouse are going back to school in the fall how is everyone feeling about it?   

My daughter's school is providing 2 options - in person or remote learning. We have to make a decision by next Wednesday which option we will select. The option will be for that quarter, we'll have the option to switch selections for the next quarter.

Masks:

- school will provide 2 masks for each student

- required for middle schoolers at all times

- for younger elementary students required in common areas, highly recommended in classrooms.

Students will not be switching classes. Teachers will instead, lunch to be eaten in classrooms, students bring their own lunch and beverage, including water (no fountain use).

Remote learning is by electronic access directly into the classroom via live stream. They're purchasing video equipment to enhance it. 

We are leaning towards remote learning for the 1st quarter.

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

My daughter's school is providing 2 options - in person or remote learning. We have to make a decision by next Wednesday which option we will select. The option will be for that quarter, we'll have the option to switch selections for the next quarter.

Masks:

- school will provide 2 masks for each student

- required for middle schoolers at all times

- for younger elementary students required in common areas, highly recommended in classrooms.

Students will not be switching classes. Teachers will instead, lunch to be eaten in classrooms, students bring their own lunch and beverage, including water (no fountain use).

Remote learning is by electronic access directly into the classroom via live stream. They're purchasing video equipment to enhance it. 

We are leaning towards remore learning for the 1st quarter.

This is really good stuff.   Some districts aren't as on top of it i don't think.   The best part i think is the live stream from the class room.  Regular, live classes are the way to go because the assignments only or recorded classes are just abused (at least by high schoolers).   

I'm not sure what we are looking at with high school.  Right now it seems to be on but without specific accommodations announced yet.   GA colleges are now requiring mask and making bigger classes online so that's a positive.   

If they give us the choice for high school i'm not sure what we pick. 

• Moderators

https://www.ajc.com/news/coronavirus-georgia-covid-dashboard/jvoLBozRtBSVSNQDDAuZxH/

It's concerning in GA.   7 day rolling average and current hospitalizations are at their highest point since they started tracking it on May 1st.     I think people on every side of covid issues agree on one thing.  We can't overwhelm the hospitals.  Hospitalizations are trending sharply upward in GA.   If they continue that track, sending kids to school may not be possible.  I'm hopeful this can start going to the other way.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

I know four different people who have been trying to get covid tests in GA but having a hard time.   And then the mayor of Atlanta has to wait 8 days for results?  wow.   I guess it's good she's not getting preferential treatment?

I have one co-worker who's family has been exposed but he can't get a test.  went to the county health department yesterday, with an appointment, but the line was so long they just gave up.  

Have another friend who works at one of the biggest hospitals and she reported they are out of tests.

Crazy times so stay safe everyone.  If you're in GA please let me know if you are aware of testing and i'll pass it along.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member

"Everyone needs to understand that if someone were to test positive, it's quite likely that they won't return to the court for a minimum of two weeks -- minimum," said DiFiori, who is also the chief of primary sports medicine and attending physician at New York City's Hospital for Special Surgery. "It may be even a little longer than that, depending on the individual circumstances, and then you need some time to get reconditioned.

"Anyone who's been out of training for two weeks is going to need time to recondition," DiFiori continued. "These things are important for everyone to understand. The players, the coaches, the medical staff, understand that if a player tests positive, they're going to need time to clear the infection management, they need additional time to recover, and then to begin reconditioning for their sport."

Matthew Martinez, a consulting cardiologist for the National Basketball Players Association, separately echoed that point to ESPN and said rest is key after a confirmed positive test because doctors believe that "the amount of cardiac damage can increase if you continue to exercise in the face of an active infection."

Martinez noted, "So you're somebody with a low-grade fever, and you have a little bit of symptoms. And, a week later, you're fine. Do you have cardiac involvement? Now, if you're a regular person, like me, and you're going to go do your [two- to three-mile runs] every day ... that's a different discussion than if you're a professional athlete.

"So that's the reason why we worry about it that that high level of exercise intensity can increase your risk of having an adverse event when there's cardiac damage related to a virus."

Any player who tests positive for the virus must undergo a "COVID-19 Pre-Participation Cardiac Screening" in accordance with CDC protocols before beginning team-organized activities, according to the league's health and safety protocols.

The reason the league and NBPA have focused specifically on the heart is myriad, but, according to a memo to teams on June 15, the basis for cardiac screening during the pandemic is tied to recommendations from the American College of Cardiology's Sports and Exercise Cardiology Council, along with feedback from consulting cardiologists for both teams and those who work with the NBPA and NBA.

"They reflect a current consensus approach, recognizing that the complete clinical picture of COVID-19 and potential effects on cardiac health, including myocarditis in particular, are not yet fully understood, and may be modified in the future to reflect new information," the league wrote in the memo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Y'all can direct me back a few pages if y'all already covered it... but where are the Atlanta Hawks masks on sale around the ATL?

~lw3

It was an online sale that was posted awhile back from the Hawks shop.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Y'all can direct me back a few pages if y'all already covered it... but where are the Atlanta Hawks masks on sale around the ATL?

~lw3

I ordered mine off NBA.com but I’m an out of towner. 

3 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

I personally don't care if the NBA or NFL ever comeback. I haven't missed either league.

It's not really about sports anymore anyway.

I love sports. I don't have any loyalty to the NBA or NFL specifically, but I think sports leagues that showcase the best in the world at their specific craft are a good thing. 

2 hours ago, pimp said:

Which one did u get?

The 💯 % polyester one. I think it was a black background with a white pacman. Haven’t gotten it yet. I liked a few of the other options too as they were like 4 pack ones but I just went single just needed one.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

The 💯 % polyester one. I think it was a black background with a white pacman. Haven’t gotten it yet. I liked a few of the other options too as they were like 4 pack ones but I just went single just needed one.

Sounds like you got the same one i have.
ff_3935189-87b82da328b58463fe16alt4_full

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pimp said:

Sounds like you got the same one i have.
ff_3935189-87b82da328b58463fe16alt4_full

Yup that’s the one.

3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Oh yeah.  I need that mask.  Watch it be about $20 for one.

SMH @ me looking at mask fashions.  I guess that's where we are now.

$14.99

• Like 1