• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Good Stuff!

As the vice president of basketball performance and technology for the Minnesota Timberwolves, and a former anesthesiologist, Sikka was consumed by the search for answers to a virus that had claimed the life of Karl-Anthony Towns’ mother, Jacqueline, among tens of thousands of Americans. After hundreds of hours of sifting through peer-reviewed papers and testing data, he came across a research paper from Yale positing that saliva is more sensitive than nasal swabs for identifying COVID-19. Of everything he had seen to that point, there was a promise in those pages that jumped off the screen.

“I’ve studied medical research since I was 18,” said Sikka, who counts 27 members of his family as fellow doctors.

The wheels started turning immediately.

“You need to talk to them,” Sikka told himself as he started his email to the Yale research team. “You need to explore and push. If you care that much about helping and doing something, you don’t take no reply (for an answer). But they replied. I also know how to make an interesting pitch.”

The email landed in the inbox of Yale epidemiologists Anne Wyllie and Nathan Grubaugh at 3:16 p.m. on May 11. It would pave the way for a partnership that would eventually produce a promising breakthrough in COVID testing that could not only lead to fans coming back to NBA arenas, but also put children in schools, customers in businesses, workers in offices and visitors in nursing homes. But before any of that even got off the ground, Grubaugh had to get past the sheer surprise of an inquiry from a basketball executive.

“Why the heck is there a Timberwolves logo in the signature line?” Grubaugh remembered wondering when he eventually came across the email late on that fateful night. “Who is this weirdo emailing us about saliva? But, you read it, and it’s like, ‘Oh, this might actually be kind of legit.’ ”

Grubaugh had his guard up from the jump, as it was quickly apparent that the NBA as a whole was interested in partnering with the Yale team. He was excited that a private organization with readily available funding, a built-in testing subject group and limitless political capital was interested in his lab’s work. But he wasn’t looking to give a sports league with $8 billion in annual revenue a shortcut so famous players could get tested frequently and painlessly and games could return to television.

“I want to help out our community, especially a low-income community,” said Grubaugh, whose lab is in New Haven, Conn., a city with nearly a quarter of its population below the poverty line. “And so there’s quite a disparity to go from a very wealthy population to a low-income population, and I was worried about it.”

What he found was a league and a players’ union willing to participate in trials that helped Grubaugh and Wyllie show that saliva was a viable means of testing for COVID on a larger scale, a significant departure from the inefficient, intrusive and slow nasal swab method that has hampered the country’s response to the virus. The Yale project became known as the SalivaDirect testing protocol, which Grubaugh lamented should have been named Harlem Globespitters in hindsight.

• Like 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Testing is a real mess.  Has anybody gotten tested in the Atlanta area?  I haven't found a decent website that has accurate information about what type of test, cost, and turnaround time.  So much is outdated or incomplete.   

And now there is increased push back on not wanting to test people which further complicates things.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Testing is a real mess.  Has anybody gotten tested in the Atlanta area?  I haven't found a decent website that has accurate information about what type of test, cost, and turnaround time.  So much is outdated or incomplete.   

I got my last one (free, walk-in, nasal swab) via CORE (Sean Penn's former Haitian Relief nonprofit) at a site near Little 5 Points, took 2 or 3 days before a test result popped up. They update their sites and service times weekly (updates usually drop on Saturdays) so check here if you're in FulCo/Cobb/Gwinnett (the links on the page open as PDFs).

https://www.coreresponse.org/covid-19/atlanta-ga

FulCo Board o' Health used to have updated info about countywide sites on their COVID page, but they seem to have let it slide, promoting instead the mega-testing site on Sullivan Road (College Park) near the Airport.

https://fultoncountyboh.org/boh/index.php/2019-ncov/covid-25

(appointments at the Airport via https://www.doineedacovid19test.com/, are recommended but not required)

~lw3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Regarding young people and athletics:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2020/09/03/big-ten-athletes-covid-had-myocarditis-symptoms-one-third-cases/5704234002/

Wayne Sebastianelli, who is also the team doctor for Penn State football, said Monday during a meeting of the State College Area School District board of directors that cardiac scans of Big Ten athletes who contracted COVID-19 showed "30 to roughly 35 percent of their heart muscles" indicated symptoms of myocarditis.

"And we really just don’t know what to do with it right now," he said. "It’s still very early in the infection. Some of that has led to the Pac-12 and the Big Ten’s decision to sort of put a hiatus on what’s happening."

Myocarditis, which can be fatal, was a driver behind the Big Ten's decision to postpone the coming season with the possibility to return this winter or spring. 

• Thanks 2

• Moderators
6 hours ago, AHF said:

Actually some good news as a follow-up: sometimes, things seem just too BAD to be true.

EhBetM_VkAAKpNl?format=png

~lw3

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Actually some good news as a follow-up: sometimes, things seem just too BAD to be true.

EhBetM_VkAAKpNl?format=png

~lw3

Yea, I was highly skeptical of that claim. The notion that young healthy college athletes would have rates of myocarditis far higher than the general population defies all reason. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

I got my last one (free, walk-in, nasal swab) via CORE (Sean Penn's former Haitian Relief nonprofit) at a site near Little 5 Points, took 2 or 3 days before a test result popped up. They update their sites and service times weekly (updates usually drop on Saturdays) so check here if you're in FulCo/Cobb/Gwinnett (the links on the page open as PDFs).

https://www.coreresponse.org/covid-19/atlanta-ga

FulCo Board o' Health used to have updated info about countywide sites on their COVID page, but they seem to have let it slide, promoting instead the mega-testing site on Sullivan Road (College Park) near the Airport.

https://fultoncountyboh.org/boh/index.php/2019-ncov/covid-25

(appointments at the Airport via https://www.doineedacovid19test.com/, are recommended but not required)

~lw3

Thanks.  It seems like CVS is doing a pretty good job too although 2 days to get an appointment and then 2-5 to get results.  I'm not sure how helpful it is.

There is so much news about new tests and rapid tests but where is the information about when they will actually be available?   

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been saying this from the beginning...sunlight good, dark bad.  https://hermancain.com/study-links-vitamin-d-covid-risk-putting-bans-outdoor-activities-spotlight/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=thenewvoice&utm_campaign=fbfeed&utm_content=2020-09-22&fbclid=IwAR1q1XfwCX1A3Sk0KAHgqywedg2o7-_ypr4DIN3OEzNon_6rj47MfasxiLM

Did we really need a study for this?  Vitamin D - naturally created strengthens the immune system. This is not news.

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I guess she's lucky she didn't get shot.

I have mixed feelings about this. We all know I'm not a fan of civil liberties being infringed.....but....attendance was conditional upon cooperation. I'm not in favor of athlete's taking a political stance on the field and I'm not in favor of parents doing so in the stands. I'm nothing if not consistent.

But I'm also not a fan of tasers or a police "rush to contain" no matter who it is. I looked around and couldn't find the video but I'm convinced I'm going to jail for a long time one day if an officer shoots me with one of those tasers, I'm breaking fingers and limbs. There has got to be a middle ground between come along quietly and 50,000 volts. I would really like to see how that escalated. Also curious if she was a hometown fan if it would have gone the same way.

I think this Covid thing has been going on long enough that people's good sense has fled. COVID exhaustion has set in.

Easy answer is...the rule is no entry without a mask...keep the mask on while in attendance. Do I disagree with the efficiency? Ya! Do I disagree with should we be playing football right now? That too! But for goodness sake, if its the rule its the rule...period.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 1:20 PM, macdaddy said:

I guess she's lucky she didn't get shot.

An update to this story, the woman has asthma. There is an exception to the policy for medical conditions. So the officer overreacted. He was informed. She was arrested and charged with criminal trespass. Those charges will probably be dropped and there will probably be a settlement.