• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coronavirus!

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

My first thought was: Our season’s over. The world is over (laughing). I don’t know what to do. So you do what smart people do: You turn to people who really do have answers — the experts. I’m enormously proud of both this league and our players in that, in the face of what appeared to be impossible to overcome, we took a breath and we decided to be smart about it. If this shit is over, then this shit is over. If the season is done, then the season is done. Is there a way to salvage it? How can that look? Tens of thousands of hours of calls, of meetings, with people being patient and smart, created this bubble. I was 50 percent certain that it was going to survive, I was waiting for the first outbreak, spread: OK, so and so team, everybody’s got it. We gotta shut it down. We gotta go home.

You have to plan for the worst case.

You got to plan for it, and frankly, at that time my thoughts were we weren’t going to be able to finish this. But I’ve never believed that you don’t try. That we started and we’re — knocking on wood, crossing fingers — about to finish it … our players made the commitment that the league agreed everything had to be in the first instance based on player health and safety. I’m incredibly proud of the job we have done as partnership. What our players have done. How does it get better than this? Except no virus.

People forget that the Friday before the Wednesday, March 11, suspension, teams were informed at nearly 10 p.m. that they should begin preparing for the possibility of playing with no fans. It was met with such an extreme reaction.

Today, thinking about that sounds ridiculous.

So when did the coronavirus issue come across your desk?

I’ll tell you: Matteo Zuretti, who is our chief of international relations and player development, is from Milan. His parents still live in Milan. In late December-January, he was watching what was going on in Europe and his parents were there. He was sharing with me what was going on and I’m watching this, I’m talking to him, I’m reading about it, and it occurs to me that there’s nothing about the American biology that suggests that if this thing gets here it’s not going to have the same impact. Remember, Milan was being shut down; the city was shut down, people were dying, hospitals were overridden. I said: This is coming here. This is going to come. China, we always pretend that somehow Asia is different and maybe Europe, but we’re America. But that’s such bullshit. That’s why when I was having our conversations with the league, it’s one thing to say we can’t play with fans. I knew in my heart, we weren’t going to play.

Even when the decision Friday came out, I knew that was a precursor to the inevitable. And it scared me. But I didn’t think there was anything around it. I’ve never lived through a pandemic, but I’m not stupid enough not to understand and appreciate its power. And I saw it sweeping across the world and didn’t think the U.S. was immune, so why should we be?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Sporting notables on both sides of The Pond catching The Rona. Including this ex-NBA'er in Barcelona.

I want to tell you that I have tested positive for COVID19 and unfortunately I will not be able to be in the game today. I feel fine and am following the medical indications. I want to wish my teammates good luck, I will support them from a distance!

This is being harder than I thought

~lw3

• Moderators

One of the players on this Russian VTB league squad (9 players COVID+ and counting) is former Hawk and Hawk G-Leaguer Alex Poythress. He appears to be in good spirits, though.

Alex, another good ol' Friend of the Program, Malcolm Delaney of Italy's Olimpia Milano, and Jonas Jerebko weigh in with their laments (about the Euroleague forfeit rules) here:

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/euroleague/1114052/euroleague-players-react-to-the-covid-19-rules/

~lw3

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I wonder what is the cut-off for the number of positive tests to postpone a game?

Not sure there's a hard-and-fast number. The Titans were at five players (and additional staff) before the league tabled the Steelers matchup to later this month. I believe it's more of a depth chart thing where if a team is unlikely to competitively (ha, the Falcons, I know) field positions along its roster -- something like safeties down to one or two players, or an offensive line thinned to one-deep -- they'll give the team more time to quarantine and recover.

NFL is doing this schedule juggling with teams of 53-man rosters playing every six-to-eight days. Barring a less-pervasive community spread in a few months, I'm not sure the NBA can hold up on an every-other-night-or-two schedule, beyond the Bubbles, with 15-person squads. But I have greater trust that The Association will figure something out, maybe more of a pod-style, round-robin format. We may find ourselves playing our Division foes a LOT.

~lw3

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Let's all shout it together. "Out Of An Abundance Of Caution...!"

Only one positive test confirmed yesterday (NOT a player, but an assistant coach, as per NFL Network), and the NFL is still working to confirm others while contact tracing.

https://www.nfl.com/news/falcons-working-remotely-facility-thursday-positive-covid-19-test?campaign=Twitter_atn

~lw3

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/risk-covid-19-exposure-planes-virtually-nonexistent-masked/story?id=73616599

I find this really interesting.  I'm a big proponent of masks and this would seem to indicate that they are very effective.  But i'm also a little skeptical here on the conclusion.   I agree that air in planes is 'aggressively ventilated' as they say but it wouldn't seem to me that even with a mask your risk over the course of a 1-7 hour flight would be negligible.    Especially given that the particles disperse in 6 minutes which doesn't seem that short of time to not be exposed.   

The anecdotal evidence is fairly strong though about infection of crew.  And i know folks who are flying a lot without getting infected.   so I hope this is true.   

• Moderators
On 10/15/2020 at 8:56 AM, lethalweapon3 said:

Danny Q and Tommy D are like, "Phew! Got outta Flowery Branch JUST IN TIME!"

~lw3

Looks like if we're waiting for a disaster to unfold, thankfully, we'll have to wait until it's 3rd Down and 5 To Go from the 19!

~lw3

• Haha 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Hope that is right.  The surge since schools reopened has been bad enough without children spiking the numbers (not just in the US but in many parts of the world right now).

Someone recently inquired about KB21 and what had happened to him.

He is a MD and, when he was on here earlier in the summer, was fighting this Covid 19 full time.

This is terrible stuff.  It's scary to all, but, for senior citizens, it is worse. 

:cry:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
20 hours ago, AHF said:

Hope that turns out to be wrong.  If correct, it would completely take herd immunity off the table as a viable strategy (to the extent anyone views that as viable).

I read that story too and it's indeed scary but at the same time they don't really know anything other than anitbodies decline which doesn't mean that immune response necessarily vanishes (from my understanding).   

There have been cases of people getting covid a second time but those have been pretty rare.   You would think now that we're closing in on a year in we'd have more hard numbers on how many people have gotten infected twice.  Even if it included false positives or people who didn't actually recover it seems like that number is still very low.   That's my optimistic view anyway.

• Like 2