• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Startrek: Picard

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

Plan to get a subscription and binge it at some point this year. Then turn the subscription back off and wait for episodes to build back up.  🙂 

Definitely all about no spoilers but curious at the highest level if you are enjoying it.

• Premium Member
On 3/11/2020 at 4:26 PM, AHF said:

Plan to get a subscription and binge it at some point this year. Then turn the subscription back off and wait for episodes to build back up.  🙂 

Definitely all about no spoilers but curious at the highest level if you are enjoying it.

I am enjoying it.

I feel Discovery (especially season 1) was superior.  The nostalgia moments there were more subtle yet still intricate to the overall plot whereas with Picard they serve as a sideshow.  It's mainly been "hey, remember this character?!" even if that character's appearance doesn't really serve to advance the plot or build on anything already established. 

I feel the nostalgia aspects are also having the effect of downplaying the new characters.  There's little development on their behalf outside of (as of the latest episode) shoehorning them as being connected to the plot in their past.

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, MaceCase said:

I feel Discovery (especially season 1) was superior.  The nostalgia moments there were more subtle yet still intricate to the overall plot whereas with Picard they serve as a sideshow.  It's mainly been "hey, remember this character?!" even if that character's appearance doesn't really serve to advance the plot or build on anything already established. 

I feel the nostalgia aspects are also having the effect of downplaying the new characters.  There's little development on their behalf outside of (as of the latest episode) shoehorning them as being connected to the plot in their past.

I enjoyed Discovering as well.  Waiting impatiently for the new season.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

@JayBirdHawk, @AHF and @MaceCase... and otherwise "to whom it may concern".........

Binged over the weekend.

Started a little slow, but for good reason, there was quite a bit to digest in order to understand the context.

Once things picked up in episode 2, and definitely in episode 3, it was a fun ride. Brought some tears to my eyes, even, in the middle episodes, but for reasons I can't say w/o being a spoiler.

However, it all hit a wall with episode 9, and especially the last episode. In hindsight, it was as-if the writers got through 8 episodes and said, "Oh dang. I thought they ordered 13 episodes for CBS TV... you mean, we have to get it all squeezed into 10 for streaming???" Sci-fi as a genre has to fight this thing of moving the narrative too fast, and related, inventing contrivances in order to allow it to move fast, and related, introducing new elements that beg for explanation but no explanation ends up happening--the viewer is just supposed to accept it.

And that's why I equate Picard to a glorious wedding day that ends with a less-than-satisfying honeymoon night. For me, ti was both must-watch television and disappointing television.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
On 4/7/2020 at 12:27 AM, sturt said:

@JayBirdHawk, @AHF and @MaceCase... and otherwise "to whom it may concern".........

Binged over the weekend.

Started a little slow, but for good reason, there was quite a bit to digest in order to understand the context.

Once things picked up in episode 2, and definitely in episode 3, it was a fun ride. Brought some tears to my eyes, even, in the middle episodes, but for reasons I can't say w/o being a spoiler.

However, it all hit a wall with episode 9, and especially the last episode. In hindsight, it was as-if the writers got through 8 episodes and said, "Oh dang. I thought they ordered 13 episodes for CBS TV... you mean, we have to get it all squeezed into 10 for streaming???" Sci-fi as a genre has to fight this thing of moving the narrative too fast, and related, inventing contrivances in order to allow it to move fast, and related, introducing new elements that beg for explanation but no explanation ends up happening--the viewer is just supposed to accept it.

And that's why I equate Picard to a glorious wedding day that ends with a less-than-satisfying honeymoon night. For me, ti was both must-watch television and disappointing television.

I have gotten to episode 6.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...