• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hoops rumors

Vol4ever

If Dragic doesn't still want to start, he's probably your best backup PG option in free agency this year (there's unideal things here though, like the years and if he'd rather just go back to Miami), and although he and Huerter would be a good start to a good bench unit, Dragic isn't exactly a defender himself. From what I know and the way it looks, the options are Teague, Augustin, maybe Dragic, or draft a backup (at least for now) PG in the draft and gamble that Trae has grown enough mentally that he doesn't need an older guy backing him up (potentially after trading down as well).

If the backup in the draft route happens, my first options honestly are Haliburton and Hayes. Cole Anthony did get hurt but when he was in he did not look good at all this college basketball season. 

• Premium Member

@JTB, actually and sincerely, thanks for that.

While there's only the speculation of people currently or formerly in the business, though not any actual substance that even would constitute "rumor," it is at least something more than one of us offering our anecdotal theories. (Your Clutch Points link actually refers to a source article: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2871835-how-aggressive-should-la-clippers-be-at-the-nba-trade-deadline ) For those who don't want to bother to read, all it says is that the writer was able to gain comments on the Clippers' situation in mid-January from two current GMs and two former GMs, and that at least two ("multiple") of them indicated they thought Harrell could go to ATL this summer.

I too think he could go to ATL this summer. Could. Not that it's likely, but also not that it's unlikely. Still, without a 3 point shot, as I've shown previously, Harrell's value to a team is approximately what Millsap's was to the Jazz before he added a 3 point shot to his repertoire after arriving here... ie, not even close to a max. If I recall correctly, we got Sap for $8m when the max was something like $21m.

So, the price I'd be willing to pay, and I would hope Schlenk's, would be similarly about 1/3 to 1/2 of a max. My preference, though, is in fact Sap... and if not Sap, Favors... and if not Favors, Woods.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Dragic isn't exactly a defender himself.

Dealbreaker.

Pretty much everyone we sign this summer has to be either a proven defensive asset, or someone that is young and is suspected to become one based on scouting reports out of college.... and/but especially so, Trae's back-up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, sturt said:

@JTB, actually and sincerely, thanks for that.

While there's only the speculation of people currently or formerly in the business, though not any actual substance that even would constitute "rumor," it is at least something more than one of us offering our anecdotal theories. (Your Clutch Points link actually refers to a source article: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2871835-how-aggressive-should-la-clippers-be-at-the-nba-trade-deadline ) For those who don't want to bother to read, all it says is that the writer was able to gain comments on the Clippers' situation in mid-January from two current GMs and two former GMs, and that at least two ("multiple") of them indicated they thought Harrell could go to ATL this summer.

I too think he could go to ATL this summer. Could. Not that it's likely, but also not that it's unlikely. Still, without a 3 point shot, as I've shown previously, Harrell's value to a team is approximately what Millsap's was to the Jazz before he added a 3 point shot to his repertoire after arriving here... ie, not even close to a max. If I recall correctly, we got Sap for $8m when the max was something like $21m.

So, the price I'd be willing to pay, and I would hope Schlenk's, would be similarly about 1/3 to 1/2 of a max. My preference, though, is in fact Sap... and if not Sap, Favors... and if not Favors, Woods.

I hear ya but I don’t think any team is getting Trez without paying atleast 17-20 mil per season (including the clippers)....Especially after he wins sixth man of the year (shall the season resumes at some point).

But I get that you’re trying to say his value is limited due to not being able to shoot 3s but even then his stat line still pops out at you!...bottom line he’s going to get paid no matter where he goes so I’d rather shift the concern on if he really truly good defensively ? Or is it the clippers supporting cast around him? 

I personally don’t mind Trez offense, in fact.... I’d welcome a player who plays physical as hell around the rim that can drop 20 vs second units consistently! Our hawks could use that muscle Trez brings ...everyone doesn’t have to be a shooter even in this era, there are other ways to offensively impact the game.  I just hope if we get the guy his defense is truly legit .

6 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Ant 🐜 man is different. This is a playground style kid like Morant and the NBA is going to be an easy transition for him I think. I’m sorry if I have a chance to draft him I’m not trading it for anyone who would likely be available this summer.

Ezpass lane, kemosabe.

All potential, no impact.  Wouldn't get minutes for us for another 3-4 years, if we're lucky.

Mario Hezonja 2.0

I'm about 5% kidding 

😇

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, sturt said:

Dealbreaker.

Pretty much everyone we sign this summer has to be either a proven defensive asset, or someone that is young and is suspected to become one based on scouting reports out of college.... and/but especially so, Trae's back-up.

Then if you want a PG that potentially plays good defense, you pretty much have to look to PG in the draft and bet on Trae being grown enough mentally to not need a veteran backup. I'm a "no" to Kris Dunn so I don't see any D up PGs that are worth the time in free agency.

Edited by Lurker

I think Edwards is going to be fine, but a lot of why is I think Tom Crean is a completely horrible coach that's going to get fired sooner rather than later (I'm not neutral here given that Crean has made me feel some hot rages in 2020, but kg isn't either, being a Georgia Tech fan). If Crean isn't so bad, then my theory gets a lot less likely.

It would not surprise me if he "is" like Oladipo with not as good defense, and it's a case of he doesn't start actually getting notably good until he's several years into his NBA career, maybe after a kick in the pants to boot as well with a trade or two.

Honestly, that's not the type that we need to draft (as we'd likely trade that type), that's the type we need to try to single out like Indiana did. Unfortunately, I don't know who that "guy" might be in this case. I'm not totally against him, but you'd need to see if he's okay with being a bench player imo...

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JTB said:

I hear ya but I don’t think any team is getting Trez without paying atleast 17-20 mil per season

I don't either.

Which helps explain why (again) he's even not on my radar. (For what that actually matters, of course.)

• Like 2

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Then if you want a PG that potentially plays good defense, you pretty much have to look to PG in the draft and bet on Trae being grown enough mentally to not need a veteran backup. I'm a "no" to Kris Dunn so I don't see any D up PGs that are worth the time in free agency.

I'm open to Dunn, but I think the price tag will be too much.

Dunn is an elite defensive player. I like that, but I'll settle for good.

Augustin is good. But I prefer Yogi because he's younger and because I also think he'll be one of the better values on the market.

And/but I'm also among the seemingly many who are on the Tyrese Haliburton bandwagon, who can genuinely be both a legitimate back-up to Trae and a legitimate 4th or 5th wing.

8 hours ago, sturt said:

But none of that is actually responsive to what I asked... you get that, right?

I didn’t know I was answering a question you asked. Did Schlenk target him? Nobody knows what GM’s are thinking comon sturt ur better than that. 

I was just letting you know he’s a stud player that fits in our system, kinda like how Ingram doesn’t.

3 hours ago, kg01 said:

Ezpass lane, kemosabe.

All potential, no impact.  Wouldn't get minutes for us for another 3-4 years, if we're lucky.

Mario Hezonja 2.0

I'm about 5% kidding 

😇

He’s no Sexton but really who is? 🤔 

No, this kid is legit kg. He’s a Morant at SG. Tailor fit for the NBA game.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I didn’t know I was answering a question you asked.

Forgive me... didn't you quote me, though?

2020-03-21_2217.png

Dang. Yes, actually, it appears you did.

Silly me, assuming that you read what I wrote, ie, in response to what JTB wrote... no one every actually reads something I've written, right?...

But then, please understand, since you're new around here, normally if someone quotes you, they're responding to what you said... 🤪

1 minute ago, sturt said:

Forgive me... didn't you quote me, though?

2020-03-21_2217.png

Dang. Yes, actually, it appears you did.

Silly me, assuming that you read what I wrote, ie, in response to what JTB wrote... no one every actually reads something I've written, right?...

But then, please understand, since you're new around here, normally if someone quotes you, they're responding to what you said... 🤪

😂 ur adorable sturt! Don’t sweat the small stuff buddy. I do read your posts, for the most part unless they are about Ingram 27 times pounding the same points over and over. Then it’s just human nature to tune you out. I do like your passion I just think your not seeing the on court chemistry 🧪 with some players and just focusing on financial situations only. It’s gotta be a mix of the two.

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I just think your not seeing the on court chemistry

You're right. I'm not. Because I can't. None of us mortals actually can. I can imagine it, but it's just that, my imagination. 

You're different though. It's not just your imagination. You have that special parallel universe vision, where you're actually the authority who tells them which teams to play for, so you can make that evaluation.

( Forgive me... I probably need to get out for a hike tomorrow, because I'm oozing with snarkiness right now. 😄 )

1 hour ago, sturt said:

hike

Ya take a hike! 😂 I kid of course. Despite our differences I want you to know I always read and respect ✊🏾 ur posts. Again, in the end, if we get Ingram and win the championship i will be ecstatic. I just wanna win I swear I’m a fan from the 80’s like you sturt. 

Get out there and get some fresh air and and least say hi 👋 to some folks from 6 feet out and beyond. ✌️ 

54 minutes ago, kg01 said:

... prove it.

😂 ok let me get my “told you so“ kit. It’s in the garage.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Get out there and get some fresh air and and least say hi 👋 to some folks from 6 feet out and beyond. ✌️

Speaking of which.... you on lockdown out there in the bay area?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Speaking of which.... you on lockdown out there in the bay area?

Yup pretty much. You can go to a relatives house 🏡 to assist but that’s about it.

36 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Just 23 hours outta the day. 😁

Come over let’s place horse I’ll kick 🦵 ur butt from 6 feet 🦶 away 😂