• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Giannis will be a Hawk

Spud2nique

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Giannis isn't leaving Milwaukee any time soon, regardless of the championship situation. 

I would have thought this about Durant given all his OKC repping especially after he bashed LeBron for pressing the easy button in Miami.  Then he went one step worse than LeBron.  Milwaukee isn’t a strong enough organization or market to feel completely comfortable about this.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
14 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Giannis isnt like KD, or Bron for that matter.

This is a kid who once walked to a game because he sent all of his money home to his family and couldnt afford a cab.

This is a kid who purposefully drafted a sub par team for the All Star game because he wanted to play AGAINST the best, not with them, his own words.

This kid is different if you havent noticed. He isnt in it for the money, he isnt in it to make friends and team up.

He wants a championship and then some. I doubt very seriously he leaves the best team in the East even if they dont win it all. I seriously think he does whatever it takes to build a champion where he is at.   

He is not the same as these other stars. He wants to earn everything. He did not get to where he is now by taking shortcuts. This aint got nothing to do with Milwaukee specifically either. This has everything to do with him as a man. 

Dont get your hopes up too much is all Im saying

My hopes aren't up for him at all.  Pretty sure it isn't happening but would be a very happy surprise if it does.  I'm just saying that most of what you just said could have applied to Kevin Durant before he did his heel turn.  He was relatively quiet, focused on his game, talked about wanting to earn his wins and not ring chase.  Then he did.  Things can change quickly in the NBA.  

I'm not feeling confident he will come to Atlanta.  Not at all.  But I wouldn't feel comfortable if I were Milwaukee either.  The Giannis era has seen the team miss the playoffs twice, get bounced in the first round three times and seen one season where they made it past the first round where they ended up losing 4-2 in the ECF.  If they flame out this year (and that seems more likely this season with all the changes and variables at play), things could go sour.  That team isn't getting any younger with their core supporting players at Middleton 28, Bledsoe 30, BLopez 32, Matthews 33, Hill 33.  Giannis might fairly see that they are currently at the height of their powers and wonder what the future holds if they end up floundering in the playoffs this season such as getting bounced in Round 2 by Philly or something.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, AHF said:

My hopes aren't up for him at all.  Pretty sure it isn't happening but would be a very happy surprise if it does.  I'm just saying that most of what you just said could have applied to Kevin Durant before he did his heel turn.  He was relatively quiet, focused on his game, talked about wanting to earn his wins and not ring chase.  Then he did.  Things can change quickly in the NBA.  

I'm not feeling confident he will come to Atlanta.  Not at all.  But I wouldn't feel comfortable if I were Milwaukee either.  The Giannis era has seen the team miss the playoffs twice, get bounced in the first round three times and seen one season where they made it past the first round where they ended up losing 4-2 in the ECF.  If they flame out this year (and that seems more likely this season with all the changes and variables at play), things could go sour.  That team isn't getting any younger with their core supporting players at Middleton 28, Bledsoe 30, BLopez 32, Matthews 33, Hill 33.  Giannis might fairly see that they are currently at the height of their powers and wonder what the future holds if they end up floundering in the playoffs this season such as getting bounced in Round 2 by Philly or something.

Idk man,

I could be wrong but KD gave me the charmin soft vibe beforehand, he seemed to be too concerned about social media comments and what not. However I do agree that I was Surprised he left OKC. I was more surprised that he went to Golden State than that he actually left. 

I've been wrong before, but if I were a betting man I think Giannis stays. I peg him as Lillard type who has stubborn pride about staying put.

The more I think and talk about it the more I think I will be surprised again, who knows man honestly lol

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Idk man,

I could be wrong but KD gave me the charmin soft vibe beforehand, he seemed to be too concerned about social media comments and what not. However I do agree that I was Surprised he left OKC. I was more surprised that he went to Golden State than that he actually left. 

I've been wrong before, but if I were a betting man I think Giannis stays. I peg him as Lillard type who has stubborn pride about staying put.

The more I think and talk about it the more I think I will be surprised again, who knows man honestly lol

It is the better bet but I'd be sweating if I was the Milwaukee GM if they don't at the least make a strong ECF run.  

1 hour ago, AHF said:

It is the better bet but I'd be sweating if I was the Milwaukee GM if they don't at the least make a strong ECF run.  

But, the problem is, if he decides to leave MIL it's gonna be for a "name" city.  We should be that but, let's be real here, we're not.

Hopefully the jacklegs (well, jackleg.  You know who you are) that calls me a homer is reading these posts.

• Moderators
18 hours ago, kg01 said:

But, the problem is, if he decides to leave MIL it's gonna be for a "name" city.  We should be that but, let's be real here, we're not.

Hopefully the jacklegs (well, jackleg.  You know who you are) that calls me a homer is reading these posts.

I don't know about a "name" city.  I'd guess if he left he would be doing so to put a priority on winning.  That could mean a name city but also might mean other cities.  Durant jumped to Golden State which while not a small community is hardly on the same level as LA or NY, etc.  As I said above, I don't think we would get him even in this scenario but at least there is a pitch we could make:  

"You are 26 years old.  Atlanta has a young talent pool that can support you for the next decade.  While you've already got All-Star talent there, you can come in and be the #1 option and team veteran leader (unlike if you pair with some other vet superstars).  Since the team isn't already winning rings, it would be you making the difference and driving the success.  Further, the team has never even won a game outside of the first two rounds of the playoffs so the trail you'd blaze would be a new one for the franchise and the fan base.  So the challenge is there but so are the tools to do something special."

It all depends on what he is looking for and the appeal of our pitch (particularly whether we have the talent to support a championship run) will depend in part on how we do next year.  If we show major improvement, it could be appealing to someone in his position.

But still the odds would be long.  Just much better than teams without that talent base like NY, CHA, etc. and Atlanta isn't a completely unappealing community in the way that Minnesota, etc. would be.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, AHF said:

Durant jumped to Golden State which while not a small community is hardly on the same level as LA or NY, etc.

Convince some of my friends of that. They tryin to raise 250mill from Sachs for a wink wink under the table scandal about to go wrong. I dunno why but when I look at Joe Lacob, I see federal pound me in the a_ s prison written all over him.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Convince some of my friends of that. They tryin to raise 250mill from Sachs for a wink wink under the table scandal about to go wrong. I dunno why but when I look at Joe Lacob, I see federal pound me in the a_ s prison written all over him.

Wiki says it is the 16th largest city by population in the US and isn't in the top 150 by land area.  I really like the city but it isn't on the same level in terms of size as the biggest NBA hubs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

it isn't on the same level in terms of size as the biggest NBA hubs.

That’s not what Warrior fans think? They feel like they belong with the Lakers, Knicks, Nets, Celtics of the world 🌎

I hope they realize they are still...

Fuller. GPA 3.8 PPG career: 3.7 

Edited by Spud2nique

• Moderators
3 hours ago, AHF said:

Wiki says it is the 16th largest city by population in the US and isn't in the top 150 by land area.  I really like the city but it isn't on the same level in terms of size as the biggest NBA hubs.

I don't think that's an accurate way to look at it.  Atlanta is 37th.   But these numbers don't count the full metro area which impacts cities outside the northeast more.  there's no way San Francisco is smaller than Austin or Charlotte. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I don't think that's an accurate way to look at it.  Atlanta is 37th.   But these numbers don't count the full metro area which impacts cities outside the northeast more.  there's no way San Francisco is smaller than Austin or Charlotte. 

That is fair but it is clearly not in the same ballpark as NY or LA.  Even when you combine it with Oakland and San Jose, you end up in 5th and those areas are more distinct than somewhere like Atlanta or NY where it is really a single city hub.  By this standard, NY was over 23M and LA was over 17M.  SF was much closer to Chicago and Atlanta than either of them.

It is also part of the greater 12-county San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA Combined Statistical Area, whose population is over 8.75 million, making it the fifth-largest in the United States as of July 1, 2016.

18 hours ago, AHF said:

That is fair but it is clearly not in the same ballpark as NY or LA.  Even when you combine it with Oakland and San Jose, you end up in 5th and those areas are more distinct than somewhere like Atlanta or NY where it is really a single city hub.  By this standard, NY was over 23M and LA was over 17M.  SF was much closer to Chicago and Atlanta than either of them.

The entire "BAY" is it's own identity, San Jose which is the South Bay is like an hour away in traffic from SF and Oak, but 45 mins in reality. But culturally they all rep hard for North Cali,  

I would definitely compare it to NY though and the different boroughs, and how Staten Island or even north Jersey for that matter all are apart of NY culture despite not even connected.

Atlanta metro reminds me of LA County, Most people dont differentiate but places like Inglewood, Long Beach, Pasadena, etc... are all considered LA culturally, despite being different cities, however they are all in LA County. Same with Atlanta, Decatur, College Park, Marietta, Dunwoody/Sandy Springs, up to even Roswell/Alpahretta, etc... 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 4:00 PM, kg01 said:

I commend you for your honest acknowledgment that we aren't a prime destination for NBA free agents. Hopefully that will change, will probably need a deep playoff run with the young core to change the narrative.

Edited by bleachkit

On 7/29/2020 at 1:27 PM, AHF said:

You have to go by metropolitan area population, not the city proper. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_areas We are number 9.

25 minutes ago, JTB said:

Love Giannis but I’m seeing him exposed in certain ways in this restart. Not enough to say we shouldn’t pursue him , just saying.

Put some great shooters and defenders around Trae, and we wont need Giannis. Id still pursue him too though. lol

• Like 1