• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Wikileaks informant sturt reveals Schlenk's Projected Oct 2020 Salary Cap Spreadsheet

sturt

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Let’s see here... better point guards that FVV:

Dinwiddie

Fox

CP3

Jrue Holiday

Ja Morant

Westbrook

Ball

Brogdon

Lillard

Simmons

Doncic 

Rubio

Kyle Lowry 

Trae Young

@sturt there you go. So now you don’t need to apologize, it’s very much debatable. 😊 

ps The Knicks and maybe the Pistons he may start for those teams. Maybe a couple more but only like 5-6 teams max, again to my original point, those teams in NEED of a starting pg would have to have money to pay him. 

A few more I'd add:

Kemba Walker

James Harden

Steph Curry

Kyrie Irving

In the debatable range:

Eric Bledsoe

D'Angelo Russell

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Two things @Spud2nique.

One, I noticed you list a number of point guards that you consider to be "among the best in the league," yet unlike the post you're responding to (which provided some actual objective basis), you merely generated a subjective list, evidently considering your opinion to be authoritative on its own. (Some people would consider that arrogant, but not me, Mr. Golden Rule here. 😄 )

Two, to the actual point of the discussion... FVV's place among this free agent cohort... the point remains that, short of him suffering some freak injury in the interim, it is only conventional wisdom that FVV will be signed to be some team's starting PG, and that team won't be ATL.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

2020-04-15_1012.png

Yes to that, and to Davis as well.

But after shooting for those stars, perhaps we hit the moon with a Victor Oladipo in 2021... I really think that could be do-able. IND didn't want to pay Sabonis, but they did, and it could be an issue for them next summer in holding on to the Big O. Schlenk might be thinking "there's my Iggy clone."

• Like 1

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, sturt said:

Two things @Spud2nique.

One, I noticed you list a number of point guards that you consider to be "among the best in the league," yet unlike the post you're responding to (which provided some actual objective basis), you merely generated a subjective list, evidently considering your opinion to be authoritative on its own. (Some people would consider that arrogant, but not me, Mr. Golden Rule here. 😄 )

Two, to the actual point of the discussion... FVV's place among this free agent cohort... the point remains that, short of him suffering some freak injury in the interim, it is only conventional wisdom that FVV will be signed to be some team's starting PG, and that team won't be ATL.

Agree with you on this point, sturt.  

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, sturt said:

Revision.

To BOS: 1 or 2 years of Dedmon @ $13m + Huerter

To ATL: Heyward

That probably seems like a little too much, but think of it this way... the cap relief provided by shedding Dedmon's salary is what is plausibly necessary to sign Christian Wood... so in the end, it's effectively Dedmon/Huerter for Heyward/Wood.

Begs the question, given the Oladipo tangent... is Heyward a better long-term fit because he's older, and thus more likely to both accept less money and acquiesce eventually to come off the bench for starters Reddish or Hunter... or is Oladipo a better long-term fit because he would be in his prime for the entire length of whatever contract would be signed?

(And yes, I'm making up for the power outage we had here in NW Louisiana... was down for 40(!) hours b/t Sunday night and late yesterday afternoon.)

• Like 1

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, sturt said:

Begs the question, given the Oladipo tangent... is Heyward a better long-term fit because he's older, and thus more likely to both accept less money and acquiesce eventually to come off the bench for starters Reddish or Hunter... or is Oladipo a better long-term fit because he would be in his prime for the entire length of whatever contract would be signed?

(And yes, I'm making up for the power outage we had here in NW Louisiana... was down for 40(!) hours b/t Sunday night and late yesterday afternoon.)

I like Oladipo better since he can play both ways better but both carry some real injury risk.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, sturt said:

guys who are considered among the best point guards in the league tend to want to be a starter, not a backup.

🤔 you stated this regarding FVV. I just provided examples of point guards who are superior. I’m not sure what I did wrong again?

4 hours ago, sturt said:

🤔 huh? Sorry that was rude, pardon?

4 hours ago, sturt said:

FVV will be signed to be some team's starting PG, and that team won't be ATL.

Again it’s gotta be like the Knicks, they throw big money or some clueless team like the Pistons or Bulls. It won’t be a team with a plan UNLESS he gets signed as a backup point guard, which serves both his future team and himself individually the best. 

Again, in my view and seeing where the league is headed, teams would be smart to invest in backup point guards. You need to have that second quarterback in case something happens you season doesn’t go awry.

3 hours ago, sturt said:

First off it’s Hayward and not (Jason) Heyward. Secondly, i don’t like either as a fit for us, but if you held a 🔫 to my head I’d say Hayward with fit and what he can do off the pine vs Dipo. Dipo would want to thrust himself into a more major role that we would desire. I think Hayward would be more apt to accept a minimal role but excel at it.

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

it’s Hayward and not (Jason) Heyward

Thank you. Finally getting some needed help in the spelling area. And yes, I'll also take the blame for advancing the idea that Sap only uses one L. My bad.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, AHF said:

I like Oladipo better since he can play both ways better but both carry some real injury risk.

I love Oladipo's energy, whereas Hayward is more of a grinder whose points after contact are John Drew-like. Hayward is better rounded overall, but Oladipo is at a stage of his career where there's every reason to think he could take it to the next level. And in fact, it's at this age/stage of his career that Hayward hit a higher gear.

The question, of course, is mostly moot b/c whereas there is at least some curiosity whether Hayward could be moved after he opts in, no such curiosity exists about Oladipo. So, if you're going to get him, you're almost certainly going to wait until he becomes a UFA in 2021.

Whereas, if Kanter opts out of his $5m for next season, I believe that opens up a window for discussion of something in the vein of the trade for Hayward that's outlined above. I like Hayward's seniority, and I like his intangibles. Still arguing with myself whether it's smarter to try to extend him by October, or to just let things play out and see whether it's more attractive to pursue one or the other in July 2021 based on the additional knowledge of what will have happened in 20-21.

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

teams would be smart to invest in backup point guards. You need to have that second quarterback in case something happens you season doesn’t go awry.

We agree on that much.

FVV not being one of those going forward, I'm on the Yogi train. (... in fact, come to think of it, I was that train's original conductor years ago, right?... hehe... )

We must have someone whose defense at that position is in the upper half of all PGs, at least. In this FA cohort, there's almost none that are exceptional. Only Kris Dunn, and as an RFA, he's not going to come at a good price. I like that Yogi qualifies as somewhat better than average, and would argue that he works hard on defense as much as anyone. Plus, Yogi can be a competent offensive asset that Dunn has not yet proven to be.

I also am hoping against hope that we'll end up with Haliburton one way or the other in this draft, though I see him developing into a very legitimate combo guard, getting minutes his first season at both back-up PG and SG... in Golden State terms, a Shawn Livingston kind-of-player.

Tyrese would be my long-term solution, whereas Yogi is the man for these next two seasons.

1 hour ago, sturt said:

, I'm on the Yogi train. (... in fact, come to think of it, I was that train's original conductor years ago, right?...

Ya I recall. I believe it was summertime of two years ago. I don’t mind Yogi 🧘🏽‍♂️ but I do think we can do a little better as far as a vet whose had a bit more impact in the league. I do realize though that you get what you pay for so the cost is important. I would personally trust an Augustin more than a Yogi. DJ brings the offense and little D though which is similar to Trae for the moment. We can either double up on that style coming off the bench for our backup 1 or we can go completely opposite, the aforementioned Dunn who can D with the best but the outside shot is dismal.

• Premium Member

Hmmm... C's blogger makes the case that perhaps it's a bit hasty to presume Hayward will opt in. I still can't even fathom it, but at least there is a halfway legit case to be made...

......Throughout the small forward’s tenure with the Boston Celtics it’s been well documented that remaining healthy has been a major struggle. From his debut night in 2017 where he fractured his tibia and dislocated his ankle to, most recently, fracturing his left hand this past November in what appeared to be a simple collision with Spurs big man LaMarcus Aldridge, one things has remained consistent: fear of injury has been an overwhelming phenomenon for fans, team personnel and, most likely, Hayward himself.

With this in mind, it is a serious possibility that the veteran will opt for long term security and nab himself one last long-term deal rather than play out his final year of hi deal and risk getting injured again and, thus, costing himself a substantial amount of money in 2021 and beyond.

In the midst of his best season as a Celtic, Hayward is averaging 17.3 points, 6.5 rebounds and 4.1 assists on 50 percent shooting from the field and 39 percent shooting from deep. Playing at this high of a level, coupled with the fact that he is 30 years old, this could very well be the best time for him to strike one last substantial multi-year deal.

While Boston may not necessarily be too keen on bringing back the wing if he opts out, as they currently roster four other players of the same ilk, there are a boat load of other teams that could benefit from his services.......

https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2020/04/18/boston-celtics-2-blockbuster-trades/2/