• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Wikileaks informant sturt reveals Schlenk's Projected Oct 2020 Salary Cap Spreadsheet

sturt

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, gurpilo said:

I don't think Nwaba starts over Reddish

Is Reddish better than Nwaba?

Surely he is.

So why wouldn't he start?

Here's the thinking.

You've got more than ample offensive firepower on that starting unit already with Trae, Ingram and JC. But you definitely need a defensive asset at SG... essentially a DMC ingredient in that recipe... so, Nwaba would fit. Meanwhile, in so doing, you add to your capacity to overwhelm other team's 2nd units by having Reddish coming into the game later.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, gurpilo said:

We are talking about 4th salary on the team, let's get someone that can really produce and have some upside, Hawks need to get Wood.

Wood, imo, is going to be looking for a significantly larger payday, maybe in the $20-$25 range. He's on my radar, but he's not a first option, and the contract numbers have to fit. More likely, imo, would be Favors, if not Millsap. But I like Millsap for both what he has left in the tank and his senior voice, which I believe based on his comments about Uncle Vince, Schlenk has a relatively new-found appreciation for including on his roster.

Zooming out, if not Ingram (and I continue to hold to my guess that there's a 70% chance NOP matches), then Schlenk has a big decision to make--take a gamble on some 2nd or 3rd tier player or players this off-season (eg, signing Wood and/or Harrell), or hold back for 20-21 and go all-in on the hope he can bring-in at least one 1st tier player next off-season. I believe he chooses the latter because opportunities to achieve the latter are too rare.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

Wood, imo, is going to be looking for a significantly larger payday, maybe in the $20-$25 range. He's on my radar, but he's not a first option, and the contract numbers have to fit. More likely, imo, would be Favors, if not Millsap. But I like Millsap for both what he has left in the tank and his senior voice, which I believe based on his comments about Uncle Vince, Schlenk has a relatively new-found appreciation for including on his roster.

Zooming out, if not Ingram (and I continue to hold to my guess that there's a 70% chance NOP matches), then Schlenk has a big decision to make--take a gamble on some 2nd or 3rd tier player or players this off-season (eg, signing Wood and/or Harrell), or hold back for 20-21 and go all-in on the hope he can bring-in at least one 1st tier player next off-season. I believe he chooses the latter because opportunities to achieve the latter are too rare.

It's more like 99% that NOP matches based on the MANY reports/articles/speculations/suppositions throughout the season. I'm too lazy to post every link, so I wont.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

Is Reddish better than Nwaba?

Surely he is.

So why wouldn't he start?

Here's the thinking.

You've got more than ample offensive firepower on that starting unit already with Trae, Ingram and JC. But you definitely need a defensive asset at SG... essentially a DMC ingredient in that recipe... so, Nwaba would fit. Meanwhile, in so doing, you add to your capacity to overwhelm other team's 2nd units by having Reddish coming into the game later.

Again Nwaba is coming off an achilles injury which means it will likely take him a year to round back into form. So you are hoping he hasn't lost a step.

I also think we need a SG next to Trae to relieve some ball handling duties as he learns to play more off ball or when he'spressured in the backcourt. Someone who can initiate the offense either to get his own shown or create for others, that's not Nwaba.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's more like 99% that NOP matches based on the MANY reports/articles/speculations/suppositions throughout the season. I'm too lazy to post every link, so I wont.

I don't know why you've become so dogged-determined on this, as-if (a) every team that ever has an RFA who is even barely valuable is claimed  by reports to be prepared to match any offer... and (b) internet writers are somehow a better source than what a paid ESPN writer says after speaking with, what he claimed, were multiple rival GMs about Ingram's true value... and (c) NOP doesn't have some serious cap space complications for two years if they were to max Ingram.

I'm very, very satisfied with my 70%.

Respect your opinion generally speaking, but on this one, your 99% is ridiculous, really.

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Caboclo should not be in that discussion. He's still in the 'break glass in case of emergency' category

I mostly agree that he's in that category, but not completely. He flashed enough with Memphis, imo, to make him worthy of some minutes just based on his defense.

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I also think we need a SG next to Trae to relieve some ball handling duties as he learns to play more off ball or when he'spressured in the backcourt. Someone who can initiate the offense either to get his own shown or create for others, that's not Nwaba.

I agree that we need that capability at the SG spot, but... um... no.... actually Nwaba checks that box, too. He's logged some PG time, if you go back and look.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, sturt said:

I don't know why you've become so dogged-determined on this, as-if (a) every team that ever has an RFA who is even barely valuable is claimed  by reports to be prepared to match any offer... and (b) internet writers are somehow a better source than what a paid ESPN writer says after speaking with, what he claimed, were multiple rival GMs about Ingram's true value... and (c) NOP doesn't have some serious cap space complications for two years if they were to max Ingram.

I'm very, very satisfied with my 70%.

Respect your opinion generally speaking, but on this one, your 99% is ridiculous, really.

Just as you keep dogged-determined that TS will go after him, so I'll be that 99% more likely than not that NOP resigns him

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Just as you keep dogged-determined that TS will go after him, so I'll be that 99% more likely than not that NOP resigns him

Um, not really. Not me. I've left that door very much cracked, saying repeatedly and again that Schlenk might be one of those GMs who the ESPN writer spoke with who questions Ingram's real value... and if that's the case, of course, he won't.

You, otoh, seem to be persuaded without question (99%, again, being an incredibly high number under the circumstances) that you've been able to divine what the NOP braintrust is really thinking about Ingram's value.

Then again... if Schlenk does value Ingram, though, there is absolutely no downside for Schlenk to go after him. Schlenk has so much more cap space than anyone else, and of the "anyone else" list, so few competitors to begin with, he will be the captain and in control of this free agent market like few GMs have ever been.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

No not really. In Schlenk we trust thank God!

That 🙂 was what we call a "knowing smile," as-in, "I know what you're going to say before you say it."

Just to be clear. 😄

But if you have an actual counterpoint to actually help debunk the line of reasoning, I'm happy to hear you out.... 🙂 .

2 minutes ago, sturt said:

That 🙂 was what we call a "knowing smile," as-in, "I know what you're going to say before you say it."

Just to be clear. 😄

But if you have an actual counterpoint to actually help debunk the line of reasoning, I'm happy to hear you out.... 🙂 .

My counterpoint is that ur idea of Nwaba is absolutely nuts and I hate Ingram as a fit for us. 

Why don’t we start Pace Mannion over Dominique Wilkins. Now I know Nique is a better player but....

-Sturt 1989..

🥱 

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

My counterpoint is that ur idea of Nwaba is absolutely nuts... Why don’t we start Pace Mannion over Dominique Wilkins. Now I know Nique is a better player but....

Um. So, for that analogy to actually make any sense whatsoever, wouldn't you have to have at least three other better players than Nique on the 1988-89 team?

But maybe I assume too much... maybe Spud has three in-mind as he said that.

More soberly, you had Nique, Moses and Doc leading that team, and a still productive Reggie Theus, at least statistically speaking.

The player who best fits the analogy you're wanting to overlay on this conversation is Cliff Levingston in the role of Reddish... and then, otherwise, Antoine Carr in the role of Nwaba.

Make no mistake, Levingston was the better player overall, and on both sides of the court. (Btw, I was surprised to find Levingston's advanced offensive and defensive numbers were consistently about double Carr's, who I'd remembered as a better offensive player than Levingston.)

So, would the second unit have benefited from Fratello leaving Levingston on the bench? Evidently, it wasn't "absolutely nuts," since Fratello did so for about 1/3 of the games. To the degree that Carr would have been at least as good as Levingston defensively, it's not hard to imagine that may have been the case even more often.

There is only one ball. And so if you have the firepower to win with 3 alpha offensive dogs in your starting line-up, it makes sense in those minutes when your second unit is on the floor to leverage the rest of your firepower to also win those second-unit minutes when both teams' starters are off the court.

But never let logic get in the way of a good, well-dug-in conclusion... that's what I always say. 😄

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

@sturt - Did you not want to bring Teague back?  Or was there not enough money to do so?

I think a preference for Yogi / rookie behind Trae due at least in material part to Yogi's defense.

• Like 1

Just curious, does Teague have a house here? When he was traded to Indy remember him stating he was living with his Mom. Not typical NBA style there. Wonder what kind of interest he has in staying a Hawk if he does have property here, say a little over vet minimum maybe a remote possibility anyway.