• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Talk Draft Picks

AHF

3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I say another defensive wing, as insurance if Cam doesn't work out. Plus, you always need those type players.

There are a couple of guys who could help like Zaire Williams. I am obviously not counting out Cam like you are. 

Edited by NBASupes

1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

I say another defensive wing, as insurance if Cam doesn't work out. Plus, you always need those type players.

Cam works out on the defensive side of the ball already. We are really lacking in size in the back up center position. 

This team shouldn't have offensive problems when you have Trae, Bogi, John, Hunter, Gallo, and Williams in the playoffs.  What we don't have is size  and two way potential in the backup center position which is why I"m enamored with Kai Jones. 

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

With 75% of the season completed, which prospects were you right about and which ones were you dead wrong on?

Such a strange draft...  First time that I can think of where there were no prospects that I outright disliked.  Everyone was pretty much what I thought they'd be - with the exception of Hayes & Nesmith who both need more time/exposure to properly evaluate.

1) Was right about Melo, still unsure how it would've worked...but I would have taken him if for nothing but the asset value.
2) Didn't like Edward's attitude...still don't.  But he's performing about where I expected.
3) Hayes was #2 on my list (really #1 since Melo was out of reach).  Might have been a little off, but he has been injured.  He's looked ok in his few games back.
4) I liked Okoro a little better than Haliburton, but they're both looking good
5) Didn't dislike Onyeka as a player, just had him nowhere on my radar and didn't feel like we took BPA.  Still don't like the pick for us.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

So, now that the 2020-2021 regular season is a wrap....how did the Lottery Picks fare:

image.png

What would a redraft look like based on the first year results? Who were you dead wrong on - good or bad?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So, now that the 2020-2021 regular season is a wrap....how did the Lottery Picks fare:

image.png

What would a redraft look like based on the first year results? Who were you dead wrong on - good or bad?

I still think we take Gwu. In a redraft it would go: 1. Edwards, 2. Ball, 3. Haliburton, 4. Wiseman, 5. Williams, 6. Gwu.

Edited by ATLHawks3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
13 hours ago, sturt said:

Just putting this here for future reference.

2021-05-31_19-31-22.png

I think focusing too much on any particular draft slot is probably not as instructive as looking at the range of picks around it but the point you are making is a good one to help set expectations.  Here are a couple of studies on value by slot that reinforce the amount of failure that comes with the handful of big successes like Jameer Nelson and Big Z:

Arturo Galletti, one of the main contributors at Wages of Wins, provides some interesting visuals in describing his take on the subject. Without specifying exactly which years he drew data from, he uses wins produced (WP) to measure basketball value, translates WP to a monetary value. 

image.png

Nate Silver's:  Like Galletti, he finds the “Net Profit” (the analogue of Galletti’s “Net Actual Value”) of first-round draft picks after translating wins to currency and discounting these values (which he calls “Net Value Produced at Free-Agent Market Rate”) by rookie salary obligations. However, unlike Galletti, Silver uses WS as his choice for evaluating basketball production, and he evaluates everything on a five-year basis.

image.png

Saurabh Rane's

Employing first-round data for the rookie classes from 1985 to 2012, he evaluates players with respect to their highest single-season __[value over replacement player][(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_over_replacement_player)__ (VORP) over the course of their careers. His approach is arguably more granular than that of others, which makes it relatively distinct. He neglects money considerations entirely and classifies players into one of four quartiles —All-NBA First-Teamer (top 2.5%), All-Star (top 10%), rotation player, or bust—while looking at seven ranges of picks—first, early lottery (picks 2 and 3), early-mid lottery (picks 4 to 6), mid-late lottery ( picks 7 to 10), late lottery (picks 11 to 14), mid-late first (picks 15 to 22), and late-first (picks 23 to 30).

image.png

Michael Lopez, an Assistant Professor of Statistics at Skidmore College.

He provides some input on the NBA in a broader analysis that compares the importance of draft picks in the four major American team sports. For the NBA draft specifically, he uses career WS and a locally weighted scatter-plot smoothing (LOESS) regression to model data from 1990 to 2005. 

image.png

https://tonyelhabr.github.io/nba-decision_analysis/what-research-says-about-nba-draft-pick-value.html

• Premium Member

(I only supplied information. No point made here, of course. All are welcome to make their own points. I've privately indicated to Diesel what my takeaway is, though.)

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, sturt said:

(I only supplied information. No point made here, of course. All are welcome to make their own points. I've privately indicated to Diesel what my takeaway is, though.)

I think the information you supplied made a good point all the same.  The value we've gotten from our recent #19 picks has been exceptional.  Whether we are picking at 19 or 20, history would say that the odds of getting someone as good as Huerter or JC are very low.  Speaks to how good a job TS has done from that part of the draft in his opportunities.  And looking back at historic drafts there is almost always an All-Star available at the 20th pick in the draft - just exceptionally tough to ID them.

(Note:  I'm only listing one per year even though some years there are multiple all-stars available)

2000 Michael Redd

2001 Tony Parker

2002 Carlos Boozer

2003 Kyle Korver

2004 Jameer Nelson

2004 Kevin Martin

2005 David Lee

2006 Paul Millsap

2007 Marc Gasol

2008 DeAndre Jordan

2009 None (Jeff Teague almost makes it at 19)

2010 None

2011 Jimmy Butler

2012 Draymond Green

2013 Rudy Gobert

2014 Nikola Jokic

Etc.

• Thanks 1

I'm sure I'll catch some heat for this, but I'm looking at Kevin Huerter being a year away from an RFA status that we likely won't be able to match due to all the other players we have due for a pay day. His trade value is decent at this time.... I like the idea of packing him with #20 and possibly OKC pick to move into top 5/10. Jalen Green would be my target. Just thinking about trying to get something out of him before he signs with the highest bidder. (but loving his contributions these playoffs!)

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, warcore said:

I'm sure I'll catch some heat for this, but I'm looking at Kevin Huerter being a year away from an RFA status that we likely won't be able to match due to all the other players we have due for a pay day. His trade value is decent at this time.... I like the idea of packing him with #20 and possibly OKC pick to move into top 5/10. Jalen Green would be my target. Just thinking about trying to get something out of him before he signs with the highest bidder. (but loving his contributions these playoffs!)

Hawks have an opportunity to offer him an early extension this offseason (like Trae).  If they can work out a reasonable deal, do it - if not he hits RFAcy (just like JC). I don't know if Huerter, #20 and OKC pick is enough to get in the top 5 especially in this draft.  Teams in the top 5 are looking for potential Franchise changing guys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Hawks have an opportunity to offer him an early extension this offseason (like Trae).  If they can work out a reasonable deal, do it - if not he hits RFAcy (just like JC). I don't know if Huerter, #20 and OKC pick is enough to get in the top 5 especially in this draft.  Teams in the top 5 are looking for potential Franchise changing guys.

Oh I'm well aware. I just think he's played/busted his ass out of a contract that we can reasonably afford. I don't think he will settle for less than $10 mil per in today's space n' pace NBA. Especially given the strides he's made defensively, as mentioned above. Love the dude but in this business I feel like we can't afford a contract like that off our bench.... would like to lock in another rookie scale contract that we can handle easily for another 4 years.