• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Talk Draft Picks

AHF

• Premium Member

There are a number of guys I would like if the Hawks decide to trade down to mid-first.

In the 6-7 range, which is the most likely at the moment, I think Haliburton really does make sense.

• Good off-ball defender
  • Great as a spot-up shooter
  • Great in transition
  • Reportedly a top-notch guy ("No baggage," says Fran Fraschilla)
  • Can play PG when Trae needs a spell

hali.png

In a perfect world we get 1,2, or 3. If we get #1, I don't see how we pass on Edwards. I see a big trade down if we have #3 and Edwards and Wiseman are off the board.

I am bummed about the lottery drawing being postponed. NBA needs to make a decision by the middle of May in my opinion. By June if no start to the season is planned, interest is going to be close to zero. They need to start building up some hype or its over from my perspective.

As it stands now, I am more interested in the draft and free agency than the Lakers, Clippers, and Bucks. I imagine most casual fans are already looking forward to the NFL more than the NBA. At least the NFL had their draft on time. I think the NBA is in dire straights to be honest.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Is there a Squawk-sensus regarding what we should do with our 1st round pick?

1. Top 3 pick, keep.

2. 4+ trade down

Question: How far down are you willing to trade?

I’d say top 5 keep. Possibly 3 though if we can get the right player back. The “right” player(s) to me include:

Beal

Booker

Donovan Mitchell

Ben Simmons

Domantas Sabonis

Rudy Gobert (then we’d flip Capela)

Jaylen Brown (dealing with the C’s stinks)

Possibly a few more guys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

1. Top 3 pick, keep.

2. 4+ trade down

Top pick, keep.

2-4, trade down.

5 -8, keep.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

1. Top 3 pick, keep.

2. 4+ trade down

1. Trade

2. Trade

Answer: As far as the '21 draft.

What do I win?

🤓

ETA. Serious answer, so I don't get branded (further) as a trouble maker, I think we shld look to trade down to somewhere between 5 and 7.

Take Haliburton or Hayes while picking up an asset.  Perhaps if we can get an early 2and, we can take Hagans.  That's the hometown guard we shld be looking to keep home.

Edited by kg01
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trade the pick entirely, period. For a difference maker (Booker, Brown, etc). Hawks are already the youngest team, this year's draft sux, time to start adding real NOW substance to the youth of Trae/Kev/Cam/Dre/JC and step it up into the playoffs. That's how to attract a max superstar in the coveted '21-'22 FA bonanza. Eff another 18yo project, it's go time 👏

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, hazer said:

For a difference maker

Think that's entirely plausible that Schlenk will consider that option. Think he'll especially be locked-in on any deals where the difference maker is an extension candidate and there are Bird rights involved.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hazer said:

Trade the pick entirely, period. For a difference maker (Booker, Brown, etc). Hawks are already the youngest team, this year's draft sux, time to start adding real NOW substance to the youth of Trae/Kev/Cam/Dre/JC and step it up into the playoffs. That's how to attract a max superstar in the coveted '21-'22 FA bonanza. Eff another 18yo project, it's go time 👏

Agreed. I’m tired of grooming kids. We have our future stars ⭐️ but let’s get some hungry dogs that wanna push these guys. Malik Beasley types.. Fred VanVleet types. We all feel that  our youth is going to be great right? Hopefully they will but to reach that level they need to be tested by guys that want to take their spots on the court.

Let the competition begin.  Playoffs or bust!  :clint:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
On 5/3/2020 at 4:33 PM, Spud2nique said:

🤔 interesting.

Maximizing value.

At #1, you get to pick THE player you most want.
At #2-4, you're probably getting a good player at great player prices.

At #5-8, you're probably not getting good trade value.

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2020 at 11:27 PM, hazer said:

Preach hazer-face.  I am not enamored by 'potential' anymore.  But I also don't want to waste a lotto pick on a low-ceiling guy just 'cause he might help us win (although I'd settle for this if we have to).

Kick the tires on a Booker deal, an Oladipo deal.  Something like that and, even if it doesn't work out, that's more preferable than going another year tryna convince people {insert unfinished product} is gonna be super-fantabulous in 6 years.

@Spud2nique has convinced me that a guy like Beasley or Brown would also be valuable additions.  They play hungry which is something we lack, at times.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kg01 said:

@Spud2nique has convinced me that a guy like Beasley or Brown would also be valuable additions.  They play hungry which is something we lack, at times.

Brown ✅

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 11:27 PM, hazer said:

I don't think we will get a great player for one pick. Our pick and future protected first maybe. I think we should draft Edwards, Wiseman, or Haliburton. Reddish, Hunter, Huerter have all shown promise but I am not ready to declare any of them a future all star much less a future superstar.

Lets make the pick and lean on free agency for some vets. Next season is when we could have a clearer picture; but there have been many a player who did not get close to being solid starter material until their 3rd season. For Hueter that is 2020/21. For Reddish and Hunter that is 2021/22.

All this talk about spending big on a player who is not a superstar is getting the cart before the horses in my opinion. I don't think Schlenk wants to build a treadmill team and investing to much cap to early could get us stuck in a bad position. I understand the impatience but that is par for the course when you rebuild through the draft.

Trae, Collins, Capella should be enough to push us towards a 8th seed. Then we just need to see how our young players improve while adding some quality vets. This approach might be boring; but it keeps us cap friendly while learning exactly what we have in our young group of players.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Another complication is I'm not sure I wanna be the next team that gifts the Smelltics another top-5 pick.  In any deal, I hope we fleece dey azz.

Ainge is not trading Brown for one pick They just signed him to a big contract and he just had his best season. Pipe Dream is what this talk is. Ainge is in win now mode. Period, end of the Celtics story.

• Like 1

If we had an ideal free agency, I would like Harrell, Harris, Torrey Craig and resigning Teague since the backup PG market is trash. 

If we draft Okoro, no need for Craig.

Draft Toppin, we need to double down getting Bogi. We need to sign a lot of NBA caliber role players.

Trae

Bogi

Reddish

Collins - Toppin

Capela

The issue with Bogi is I hear SAC wants him back and willing to pay and Hield is available for a future 1st. 

Maybe Hield works for Atlanta but I don't see it. Him and Trae defense is an issue. 

Hield for Kevin is something that would work for SAC but would we do it, probably not.

It's tough, fit is so difficult due to Trae and Collins. 

At the end of the day, Collins might need to be the one that moved. 

I'll do a Collins and a future 1st deal for Jon Issac. 

Trae

Hield

Reddish

Issac

Capela 

This works. Elite frontcourt defensively. Elite shooters and scorer in the backcourt. 

Use the 1st to draft someone like Edwards or Toppin. 

Use the rest of the money to build a bench. 

We need Jon Issac but how do we get him