• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Talk Draft Picks

AHF

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Since Al-Farouq Aminu was mentioned on another thread, is Isaac a rich man's Aminu?

Forgive me but i don't see it.  I see no path to stardom in Isaac... I mean he can't shoot, can't dribble, Can't create.  He is just a rim funner on offense.  So called glue guy on a mediocre team.  Might not be a starter on a contender

1 hour ago, AHF said:

I think that deal is a significant overpay from our end unless Supes sees huge star making development coming from Isaac ala Giannis.  I do think that Supes sees Collins' defense as a problem from a team building perspective.  He has been very positive about Collins in the past but is clearly questioning whether there is a problem with long-term fit with Trae & Collins.  He may be among the top 2-3 posters most negative on Collins but still sees a lot of positive with him.

I like Isaac but would not want to give up Collins for someone at his what I think of as being his role player level.

Supes likes the RAPTOR/WAR stat which says Isaac was better than Collins this year due to impact of defense.  (Collins is 3rd on the Hawks lottery team while Isaac is 2nd on Orlando's 8th seed team).

Collins: RAPTOR -0.3 / WAR +1.7

Isaac:  RAPTOR +3.6 / WAR +3.1

I see Collins as a great fit with Trae on offense. The problem is in the NBA, we need it to be two ways especially when Trae is so bad on defense impact wise

The reason why Green and Klay compliment Steph perfectly is because they are valuable on both ends

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I see Collins as a great fit with Trae on offense. The problem is in the NBA, we need it to be two ways especially when Trae is so bad on defense impact wise

The reason why Green and Klay compliment Steph perfectly is because they are valuable on both ends

We now have Capela and hopefully Cam and Hunter for defense at C and on the wings. Again, Collins has shown improvement on defense. He may not be RudyG defense but it's a step in the right direction.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We now have Capela and hopefully Cam and Hunter for defense at C and on the wings. Again, Collins has shown improvement on defense. He may not be RudyG defense but it's a step in the right direction.

I like the potential of Cam, Hunter, Capela, and Collins to form the basis of a top ten defense one day. Our rebounding should improve day one without any coaching help.

I think a lot of our defensive issues is youth and coaching. Collins gets shipped to the Celtics and their coach in my earlier trade, he will be a better defender day one based on scheme and coaching.

Not everyone on the top ten teams in defense is a KG or the Glove reincarnation. Scheme, repetition, and coaching is everything when it comes to team defense. Our rookies get lost and so does our coach. Both needs to improve some this season. Instead of bottom five, I would like to see something in the 15 - 20 range in defensive ranking.

I have what I consider modest hopes of improvement; but I do expect improvement this coming season.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I don't think we will get a great player for one pick. Our pick and future protected first maybe. I think we should draft Edwards, Wiseman, or Haliburton. Reddish, Hunter, Huerter have all shown promise but I am not ready to declare any of them a future all star much less a future superstar.

Lets make the pick and lean on free agency for some vets. Next season is when we could have a clearer picture; but there have been many a player who did not get close to being solid starter material until their 3rd season. For Hueter that is 2020/21. For Reddish and Hunter that is 2021/22.

All this talk about spending big on a player who is not a superstar is getting the cart before the horses in my opinion. I don't think Schlenk wants to build a treadmill team and investing to much cap to early could get us stuck in a bad position. I understand the impatience but that is par for the course when you rebuild through the draft.

Trae, Collins, Capella should be enough to push us towards a 8th seed. Then we just need to see how our young players improve while adding some quality vets. This approach might be boring; but it keeps us cap friendly while learning exactly what we have in our young group of players.

I didn't mean acquiring that level of player with just our 1st round pick. Of course it'll take additional assets, I'm just saying trade it and don't make a selection.

6 minutes ago, hazer said:

I didn't mean acquiring that level of player with just our 1st round pick. Of course it'll take additional assets, I'm just saying trade it and don't make a selection.

I think there are at least three players that have some star value. Then a few more who could be starter quality. I am not opposed to trading down; but I still want us to stay in the draft. Cheap rookie contracts is a key to landing a big fish; if one ever happens to come our way.

Edited by Buzzard

3 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Ainge is not trading Brown for one pick They just signed him to a big contract and he just had his best season. Pipe Dream is what this talk is. Ainge is in win now mode. Period, end of the Celtics story.

Of course he's not trading Brown for JUST Atlanta's 1st. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

None of these high quality guys are available like that. If there was a player that would appeal to me, it would be Jon Issac but he's not available. 

They're available for the right price/package. One including a Hawks top 5 pick.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hazer said:

Of course he's not trading Brown for JUST Atlanta's 1st. 

All you mentioned was Brown and our 1st. I took you literally. I understand you now but still don't know what you would be willing to send for him.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, hazer said:

So who would you trade for our 1st?

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

None of them are available, even for our 1st. Brown is not even available 

I think if we offered Collins, we would have Ainge's full attention. His jaw may even drop when he heard the offer. Maybe, maybe not but he would listen intently.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Sad 1

Just now, Buzzard said:

I think if we offered Collins, we would have Ainge's full attention. Maybe, maybe not but he would listen intently. His jaw may even drop when he heard the offer.

Brown is not available. Him, Kemba, and Tatum are their franchise guys

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, hazer said:

They're available for the right price/package. One including a Hawks top 5 pick.

I don't think they are. They didn't want to part with these guys for Leonard and PG, I think they'd want to keep them and add to their core.

Just now, NBASupes said:

Brown is not available. Him, Kemba, and Tatum are their franchise guys

So was Pierce and he was almost moved until his buddy McHale sent him a HOF player. Irving was to be the franchise, where is he now? Things change Supes, and until Ainge is lifting another banner in the Garden, anything is possible for the right price.

He is a shark and his only loyalty is to the banners.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So who would you trade for our 1st?

Jaylen Brown would look awfully good in a Hawks uni. I'd put this year's 1st rounder, the OKC 1st rounder, a future protected 1st, Heurter, and Dedmon on the table. Hate to lose Heurter in the deal knowing he's going to be a great 6th man, but you have to give to get. Hunter becomes 6th man. Sign Harris while we're at it ✅

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzzard said:

80% of the league plays better defense than us. If you look at the top 15 teams in defensive rating, its like 12 or 13 are playoff teams. Now to add insult to injury, the Bucks, Raptors, Lakers, Celtics, Clippers, and 76ers round up the top 6.

https://stats.nba.com/teams/advanced/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1

Defense is boring @Spud2nique but it is blatantly obvious it matters.

I’m old school. I love D. 😐 

I’m saying the entire league isn’t playing much defense. Look at the scores, they are usually 120’s whereas before it was like high 90’s low 100’s.