• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Talk Draft Picks

AHF

2 minutes ago, hazer said:

Hawks are FINALLY in a position with a promising young core 22 and under, a probable top 5 pick, AND the most cap space in the NBA for the next 2 years. Driver's seat, time to be the pressure appliers 👏

Colonel Schlenk is either going to reinforce my belief in his genius, or lose my faith entirely, with this draft and bench reinvention this off-season. As I've said several times: this is "GO" time 💫

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hazer said:

Colonel Schlenk is either going to reinforce my belief in his genius, or lose my faith entirely, with this draft and bench reinvention this off-season. As I've said several times: this is "GO" time 💫

Ya I agree. Here’s the thing. If we like our core, then our core should be complete. Unless I don’t understand the definition of a core. We have to cash in and start trying to find an identity. Contrary to what I’ve noted as early as this morning, I do believe in defense and we could be a defensive type squad, or we can have an all offensive backcourt like a Trae/Booker type and build a defensive front line. We could get Embiid to pair with Trae. Trae should be getting a legit number two soon. Which star is it going to be? Exciting times indeed.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Ya I agree. Here’s the thing. If we like our core, then our core should be complete. Unless I don’t understand the definition of a core. We have to cash in and start trying to find an identity. Contrary to what I’ve noted as early as this morning, I do believe in defense and we could be a defensive type squad, or we can have an all offensive backcourt like a Trae/Booker type and build a defensive front line. We could get Embiid to pair with Trae. Trae should be getting a legit number two soon. Which star is it going to be? Exciting times indeed.

This is eggzackly why I'm SO high on Jaylen instead of Buddy: defense. Errrrbody also knows I'm conductor of the Embiid train, but cost and health are concerns. Now we have Capela, Embiid is risky move 😬

• Like 1

Yes we are in a good position. I like Edwards, Wiseman, Haliburton is growing on me, and Deni. With all that said, I hope we wind up in the top three of the lottery. I believe trading the pick is the right thing to do. It's time to cash in some of our assets. I would trade Hunter, Dedmond, Huerter, and this years 1st for Devin Booker and  two 2nd round picks. Then I would try to convince AD that Trae, Booker, and him could rule for years. We could then move Collins for a nice return. After AD says no, I would bring in two veterans on 1 year deals like Paul Millsap for 18-20 million and Aron Baynes for around 10-15 million if he's a free agent. It's important we keep enough cap space for 2021. I believe we'll get at least one star from that free agency class. I love our core but you have to be willing to trade some of those pieces for a bigger piece. I'll keep speaking it into existence until it happens.

5 hours ago, hazer said:

This is eggzackly why I'm SO high on Jaylen instead of Buddy: defense. Errrrbody also knows I'm conductor of the Embiid train, but cost and health are concerns. Now we have Capela, Embiid is risky move 😬

Jerami Grant should get a phone call from Schlenk at one minute after midnight. I think he fits the description Schlenk gave perfectly. He is a reserve and he will push Hunter for playing time.

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/01/13/jerami-grant-nuggets-clippers-screen/

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I’m old school. I love D. 😐 

I’m saying the entire league isn’t playing much defense. Look at the scores, they are usually 120’s whereas before it was like high 90’s low 100’s.

I think you are a little over the top with your 120 points per game. The two highest scoring offenses in the league averaged a shade over 118. Scoring is up as is pace but I don't think its a coincidence that the top six teams in defensive rating are all teams considered contenders or on the bubble contenders.

Our offensive scoring dropped from 113.3 to 111.8 despite Trae blowing his average up by 10.5 points and Collins had a modest increase as well of 2.1 points. Collins missing 25 games probably had a lot to due with this; but all of our offensive woes should not be blamed on Collins.

Our defense has to improve. I think with Capela, and another season with Hunter, Reddish, and Collins it will. Getting someone like Grant or Crowder to play some bully ball out on the perimeter would help also.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/points-per-game

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

you already know I love the African boys! Yes sir! 

On 5/4/2020 at 6:43 PM, Spud2nique said:

Breaking 8 year old hearts 💕 since 86 huh? 🤨 Sorry that sounded weird.

tenor.gif?itemid=7483779

42 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

This is one of those drafts where i'm glad we got some experts figuring it out.  I mean I got us Trae, it's time for Travis to do some work.

It's a good class in general. Just not one that will pay dividends as rookies. But in three to four years, this class can be considered a good one. Its top heavy at most positions and PG strong. 

There is a lot more potential 3&D wings this year than last

Edited by NBASupes
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
On 5/5/2020 at 6:51 PM, Spud2nique said:

Okoro or Okongwu for me. It’s like 2017 when I wanted Anunoby and Semi. 

Supes, you already know I love the African boys! Yes sir! 

More info on your African love child Okoro

I wouldn’t make too much of an issue with his shooting — I just wouldn’t,” Pearl told The Athletic. “He’s going to win. He’s going to start. He’s going to work. He’s going to train. He’s going to be disciplined. I don’t think his whole pendulum of whether or not he’s good depends on his shot.

“I do think that practice makes permanence, though. It does not make perfect. So, yes, there was a time when his ball position was too low. It affected his shot and affected his percentages and performance. It still affects his free-throw percentage. When he does raise his carriage at a higher release point, he will be a good shooter. Because he’s such a gym rat and lives in there, he’s doing it over and over, and practice makes permanence. For him to try and make some of those adjustments because he worked so hard at it, it was difficult to change that rhythm.”

Okoro’s form, particularly in his upper body, is what needs the most work. He looks stiff when he loads, and his left elbow tends to flare out. 

The Hawks still need to surround Young with more defensive talent to reach their full potential. They achieved that in last year’s draft getting De’Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish and trading for Capela. Okoro would be another high-level defender who showed in college that he’s able to guard one through five. Here he is switching onto potential lottery pick Alabama guard Kira Lewis Jr.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/6/2020 at 9:17 AM, NBASupes said:

It's a good class in general. Just not one that will pay dividends as rookies. But in three to four years, this class can be considered a good one. Its top heavy at most positions and PG strong. 

There is a lot more potential 3&D wings this year than last

I agree this draft is underrated, though I don't think Okoro would be my pick. I like him but that shot really scares me. Problem is, I'm not sure who the pick is. This draft is underrated in that all of the prospects are flawed, but there's a lot to like about each of them. Just a question of if they fix those big flaws to reach a high upside, or are just guys.

I'm leaning Hayes or Anthony right now I think. Maybe Deni? Okungwu? Nesmith? Vassell? Hell, Okoro ain't bad. Then there's Edward's too. I could talk myself into Lamelo.

Hope Schlenk gets it right

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheFuzz said:

I agree this draft is underrated, though I don't think Okoro would be my pick. I like him but that shot really scares me. Problem is, I'm not sure who the pick is. This draft is underrated in that all of the prospects are flawed, but there's a lot to like about each of them. Just a question of if they fix those big flaws to reach a high upside, or are just guys.

I'm leaning Hayes or Anthony right now I think. Maybe Deni? Okungwu? Nesmith? Vassell? Hell, Okoro ain't bad. Then there's Edward's too. I could talk myself into Lamelo.

Hope Schlenk gets it right

As it should, its gonna take some time. Luckily for him, he's a movement player, he will still have some usefulness even though he's a limited shooter initially. 

I like Hayes a lot but he needs the rock. Anthony needs the rock too but can play off the ball well, the issue is, defense which pretty much Mark's him off the list for us.

Deni Avdija has even worse shooting questions but is a more all around skilled player who can play both the 3 and 4 in time.

Okongwu is one of my favorites but I question his ceiling and that's an issue for me. 

Nesmith to me is Michael Redd like. I am not sure that's a lottery pick.

I have a 2nd round grade on Vassell. I really don't like 3 and D players who lack length, height and bulk. It limits them to the SG position like Bazemore and that position requires more skill than your normal SFs.

Edwards is my top guy and tied with Melo for floor and potential. His ceiling is too obvious. He needs his team to be patient but it will be hard to bust with him. His gifts, tools, skill, talent, bulk, and size is too much to over look. Even if his polish is bad, feel is low, readiness just isn't there at this time.

Most of these players won't pop year 1 so be patient. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

So if we get the #4 pick and we are deciding to trade down, which of these teams in the remaining top 10 (assuming the same draft order) would you be interested in trading with to get their pick and and a young player currently on their roster? (In lieu of a future 1st)

5. Piston 
6. Knicks 
7. Chicago
8. Hornets
9. Wizards
10. Suns

22 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So if we get the #4 pick and we are deciding to trade down, which of these teams in the remaining top 10 (assuming the same draft order) would you be interested in trading with to get their pick and and a young player currently on their roster? (In lieu of a future 1st)

5. Piston 
6. Knicks 
7. Chicago
8. Hornets
9. Wizards
10. Suns

Pistons- Rose 🌹 Backup Trae contract expires after next season. 👌 

Knicks- Frank Ntilikina Backup Trae qualifying offer for 2021-2022.

Bulls- Thad Young (2 years left on friendly deal can mentor our wings. And Tomas Satoranski who could backup Trae (friendly contract for Tomas 10 mill next two years; cheap and perfect; plus he ripped us a new one 😆 

Hornets 🐝- None

Wizards- Bryant (backup 5 to Cap on a friendly deal) Ish ( 💩) Smith, can’t shoot but can facilitate an offense; also short contract.

Suns- None (unless it’s part of a motherload trade for Devin Booker)

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Pistons- Rose 🌹 Backup Trae contract expires after next season. 👌 

Knicks- Frank Ntilikina Backup Trae qualifying offer for 2021-2022.

Bulls- Thad Young (2 years left on friendly deal can mentor our wings. And Tomas Satoranski who could backup Trae (friendly contract for Tomas 10 mill next two years; cheap and perfect; plus he ripped us a new one 😆 

Hornets 🐝- None

Wizards- Bryant (backup 5 to Cap on a friendly deal) Ish ( 💩) Smith, can’t shoot but can facilitate an offense; also short contract.

Suns- None (unless it’s part of a motherload trade for Devin Booker)

I said young players - Rose and Young are 32 years, but I'll allow it 😄

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Young

I remember 13 years ago I liked Thad and wanted to keep him in Atlanta but I also was intrigued by an ambidextrous lefty point guard from Texas A&M...

😢 

• Haha 1