• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Talk Draft Picks

AHF

Just now, AHF said:

With Thad Young, hasn’t he been a PF for years now?  I can’t see him being much of a mentor to our wings.

Ya I guess he has but when I see him play I feel like he’s still a 3. I dunno I just thought he brought professionalism as well as an example of hard play for the young fellas. He seems like a quiet guy but just leads by example. 

You may be right we might need some more vocal guys perhaps.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

Ya I guess he has but when I see him play I feel like he’s still a 3. I dunno I just thought he brought professionalism as well as an example of hard play for the young fellas. He seems like a quiet guy but just leads by example. 

You may be right we might need some more vocal guys perhaps.

I think any mentoring he does would be just as applicable to Trae or JC as it would be to Hunter or Cam. 

@sturt’s term of JAG-plus seems perfectly applicable to him.  Can be a contributor from the bench and give you a consistent 10 & 5.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Aye @kg01 ur a yellow jacket 🐝, I don’t think I’ve ever heard you talk about Thad. Thad would be a good mentor to Cam and Hunt.

Never a star but always solid.

Maybe a good mentor for life, in general. How to be a good pro.

Not on court mentorship.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Maybe a good mentor for life, in general. How to be a good pro.

Not on court mentorship.

Crap.  Kg and I agree on a Yellow Jacket.  This can’t be good.

• Haha 3

So let me get this straight.

2 guards I’m trying to break down here. One thing I can’t shake is the measurements. Can anyone confirm if this is accurate?

PG Killian Hayes 6’5” 215 

PG Tyrese Haliburton 6’5” 175

a 40 pound difference with the same height? 🤔 

ps I’m starting to get smitten over these kids in the middle of the lottery BUT, we do need to get a bit older as far as experience so maybe we don’t go for a youngster.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

So let me get this straight.

2 guards I’m trying to break down here. One thing I can’t shake is the measurements. Can anyone confirm if this is accurate?

PG Killian Hayes 6’5” 215 

PG Tyrese Haliburton 6’5” 175

a 40 pound difference with the same height? 🤔 

ps I’m starting to get smitten over these kids in the middle of the lottery BUT, we do need to get a bit older as far as experience so maybe we don’t go for a youngster.

I see different weights for Hayes: 185, 186 and 215lbs

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Hayes is 205 from my database. 

Supes I enjoy your player comparisons they are closest to mine that’s why. :yes:

Having said that,

Who would you compare Hayes and Haliburton to as far as players in the league now AND in the past (up to 35 years back).

Is Hayes a Vinnie Johnson? 

Is Haliburton a Shaun Livingston?

I dunno 🤷‍♀️ 

On 5/9/2020 at 9:36 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

So if we get the #4 pick and we are deciding to trade down, which of these teams in the remaining top 10 (assuming the same draft order) would you be interested in trading with to get their pick and and a young player currently on their roster? (In lieu of a future 1st)

5. Piston 
6. Knicks 
7. Chicago
8. Hornets
9. Wizards
10. Suns

Wizards..... they may be one of those teams that wants to try to compete while still in the John Wall era and go after Wiseman to shore up the middle. And with Wall returning next year with Beal, wanting to resign Bertans, suspect they are in win now mode. 

I'd try and trade back for a next year's unprotected pick and let the players' health determine where that pick falls next year. Who knows - it could be a top 3 that we could use to trade for that superstar to put us over the top. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Supes I enjoy your player comparisons they are closest to mine that’s why. :yes:

Having said that,

Who would you compare Hayes and Haliburton to as far as players in the league now AND in the past (up to 35 years back).

Is Hayes a Vinnie Johnson? 

Is Haliburton a Shaun Livingston?

I dunno 🤷‍♀️ 

I would say Hayes and Haliburton are completely different than both players. 

Hayes really doesn't have a true comparison. Some will say D'angelo Russell but he's a lot more of a pure PG than Russell and not the athlete. That's the biggest issue, is Hayes athletic enough for the NBA starting PG but if he is or finds a nice role, he can be special. If there was a player who he kinda models even though his game is completely different, I would say its Chauncey Billups. 

Haliburton is unusual. He is kinda the Draymond Green of PGs. He can do a lot of everything. Pass especially in movement like Lonzo Ball. His man defense isn't good but his help side defense is spectacular. 

He does so much that's freakish but he doesn't really have the prerequisites needed for the starting NBA PG position. This makes him more of a 2nd rounder to undrafted guy but his strengths make him the best prospect in the draft with Toppin. 

I think system fit is critical for Haliburton. I don't think he's a true PG but he is going to be a tremendous floor general. His IQ and feel for the game is elite. He's like a Draymond Green type. Situation is everything. 

To me, an ideal fit for him with Orlando with Fultz, Philadelphia with Simmons, and New Orleans with Jrue Holiday. 

Not sure Trae Young is a good fit for him. Trae is too ball dominant and his defense is best off the ball. That said, I like him as a backup for us and a number of teams but I am not sure that's ideal for him. 

He is one of those all stars in the ideal situation but backup with some starter value when he's not. If I was a betting man, I would take Tre Jones higher than him in general to be honest. Tre swing skill is shooting which might never come but I do think he will get it one day and when he does, watch out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

I would say Hayes and Haliburton are completely different than both players. 

Hayes really doesn't have a true comparison. Some will say D'angelo Russell but he's a lot more of a pure PG than Russell and not the athlete. That's the biggest issue, is Hayes athletic enough for the NBA starting PG but if he is or finds a nice role, he can be special. If there was a player who he kinda models even though his game is completely different, I would say its Chauncey Billups. 

Haliburton is unusual. He is kinda the Draymond Green of PGs. He can do a lot of everything. Pass especially in movement like Lonzo Ball. His man defense isn't good but his help side defense is spectacular. 

He does so much that's freakish but he doesn't really have the prerequisites needed for the starting NBA PG position. This makes him more of a 2nd rounder to undrafted guy but his strengths make him the best prospect in the draft with Toppin. 

I think system fit is critical for Haliburton. I don't think he's a true PG but he is going to be a tremendous floor general. His IQ and feel for the game is elite. He's like a Draymond Green type. Situation is everything. 

To me, an ideal fit for him with Orlando with Fultz, Philadelphia with Simmons, and New Orleans with Jrue Holiday. 

Not sure Trae Young is a good fit for him. Trae is too ball dominant and his defense is best off the ball. That said, I like him as a backup for us and a number of teams but I am not sure that's ideal for him. 

He is one of those all stars in the ideal situation but backup with some starter value when he's not. If I was a betting man, I would take Tre Jones higher than him in general to be honest. Tre swing skill is shooting which might never come but I do think he will get it one day and when he does, watch out.

Nice. This guy at CBS says Monte Morris for Haliburton. He also has us taking Hayes at 5. He has Hayes as the 2nd best prospect and second best position rank after Ball. He has Edwards as the 5th overall prospect rank wow.

team logo
IOWA STATE • SOPH • 6'5" / 175 LBS

PROJECTED TEAM

Washington

PROSPECT RNK

9th

POSITION RNK

3rd

PPG

RPG

APG

3P%

41.9%
Wonderful point guard who missed out on the tail-ish end of last season when he fractured his left wrist. Iowa State was strangely bad in 2019-20, going 12-20, Haliburton incapable of lifting up the team around him. The slender 6-5 point guard is a responsible passer, an angular player who sees the floor well and keeps defenses honest thanks to his respectable shooting from 2- and 3-point range (59.2 and 41.9%, respectively). The most obvious comparison is Monte Morris, also an ISU alum, also a point guard who was largely allergic to turnovers. Haliburton can grow into a starting-level point guard in the NBA by 2023.