• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Talk Draft Picks

AHF

CBS mock draft latest has us taking Hayes at 5.

Round 1 - Pick 5
team logo
Killian Hayes PG
FRANCE • 6'5" / 192 LBS

PROJECTED TEAM

Atlanta

PROSPECT RNK

2nd

POSITION RNK

2nd

A wonderful prospect who's been known for at least three and a half years at this point, in terms of his NBA potential. You can make the argument right now that he's the better point guard prospect when lined up against LaMelo Ball. Hayes is a poised player who can work the screen-and-roll game naturally and shoots well off the dribble. His shot mechanics look a wee bit wonky, but it's working overall. Hayes has progressively become a more accurate long-distance shooter. He's among the smartest players in this draft when it comes to improvising after plays break down.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

I'm starting to think that nailing this pick is our last easy shot at an all star. I'm still thinking Hayes. Some of his issues will look better as a secondary guy rather than the lead guard

I am not sure this pick will be an all star. Outside of Edwards, Toppin, Ball, Wiseman, and Okoro. It's all about system and fit. For what we do, it's unlikely it's a guy I didn't mention. 

The more I try and convince myself that I’ll start liking this draft, I don’t really. @kg01 has pulled me into the dark side.

We took our swings.. Collins, Trae, Huerter, Hunter and Cam. We picked up Capela. It’s hard to fathom a rookie outside of possibly Edwards to crack the starting lineup. Given that, as much as I’d like a Hayes or Haliburton backing up Trae, I feel the cost (pick 4-7) is too high for the return as far as this draft goes.

Bring on some vets!!! Let’s win baby 👶!!

F this draft on 3! Ready! 1! 2! 3! F THIS DRAFT!!!! (Break) :peanut-butter-jelly-time:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

The more I try and convince myself that I’ll start liking this draft, I don’t really. @kg01 has pulled me into the dark side.

We took our swings.. Collins, Trae, Huerter, Hunter and Cam. We picked up Capela. It’s hard to fathom a rookie outside of possibly Edwards to crack the starting lineup. Given that, as much as I’d like a Hayes or Haliburton backing up Trae, I feel the cost (pick 4-7) is too high for the return as far as this draft goes.

Bring on some vets!!! Let’s win baby 👶!!

F this draft on 3! Ready! 1! 2! 3! F THIS DRAFT!!!! (Break) :peanut-butter-jelly-time:

Yesh, yesh ... give in to the dark side, young jedi.

Supes makes a good point, which is the only reason I'm not 100% on trading the pick (more like 99.897%).  History tells us a good player will be chosen in this draft.  Likely even a multiple time all-star.  It'll just come from an unlikely source. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Yesh, yesh ... give in to the dark side, young jedi.

Supes makes a good point, which is the only reason I'm not 100% on trading the pick (more like 99.897%).  History tells us a good player will be chosen in this draft.  Likely even a multiple time all-star.  It'll just come from an unlikely source. 

I wouldn't say it's an unlikely source. Some of these guys are excellent college players. It's about finding the right fit and development in the NBA. For example, Steph Curry was a great college player but he got the right organizational fit, development and role, personnel grouping and fit and he became a superstar. No one in that draft felt anyone was going to have a better career than Griffin. Not Harden, not DeRozan and clearly not Curry who had ceiling questions.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

For example, Steph Curry was a great college player but he got the right organizational fit, development and role, personnel grouping and fit and he became a superstar. No one in that draft felt anyone was going to have a better career than Griffin. Not Harden, not DeRozan and clearly not Curry who had ceiling questions.

Its not about fit with Curry. He is a pros pro and was raised that way by his dad. The only thing that would have kept him from being a superstar would have been a worse injury history ( chance ) if he'd have went somewhere else.

hace 2 horas, NBASupes dijo:

I doubt there will be value as good as the pick available. I'll take the pick. 2009 was presumed to be a weak draft after the Blake Griffin pick. Washington was like, let's get some vets. Traded their pick to MIN for Mike Miller. Who could they have drafted

Steph Curry 

DeMar DeRozan 

Jrue Holiday 

Jeff Teague 

Ty Lawson

So in hindsight, would you do that deal again? 

If we get what I project to be 1-8 range, I think there is value. After that, i would look to trading back if possible and taking a swing on the role players while adding more assets for the future. 

None of the rookies will crack our starting lineup and that's a good thing. We need better high end depth. We got lower end depth at 3 positions right now: PG, SF, and PF. The ability to add Toppin, Okongwu who is more of a center to me but can play both big spots, Okoro, Deni Avdija, Hayes, Haliburton and a freak talent like Edwards is far to great to pass on unless someone wants to trade us Devin Booker or Donovan Mitchell for the pick.

I could not agree more with this statement, this is about adding a good young player that although would not be an impact immediately would be a huge upgrade on the bench and a better value for the team future, a step on the right direction. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

I could not agree more with this statement, this is about adding a good young player that although would not be an impact immediately would be a huge upgrade on the bench and a better value for the team future, a step on the right direction. 

I agree as well. Unless someone drops a franchise player type trade on us, we have to stay the course with the draft. Getting good to potentially great talent for possibly less than a MLE is the way to go.

We are so close and its playoffs or bust in 2020/21.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Its not about fit with Curry. He is a pros pro and was raised that way by his dad. The only thing that would have kept him from being a superstar would have been a worse injury history ( chance ) if he'd have went somewhere else.

I disagree. This opinion was far from common at that time. This is a in hindsight opinion. 

11 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I agree as well. Unless someone drops a franchise player type trade on us, we have to stay the course with the draft. Getting good to potentially great talent for possibly less than a MLE is the way to go.

We are so close and its playoffs or bust in 2020/21.

100%. We still need at least two high end backups who can spot start. 

Here are the keepers

Trae

Cam

Hunter

John

Kevin

Clint

Dedmon

Add a top 10 pick

And two to three high quality vets.

And two to three vets who are NBA level 3rd stringers

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 3

Just now, NBASupes said:

I disagree. This opinion was far from common at that time. This is a in hindsight opinion. 

But you are saying NOW its about fit. Curry has proven he is a superstar. How many MVP's does he need to win to convince you he is a great player?

The man could have played in Sacramento and been great.

Just now, Buzzard said:

But you are saying NOW its about fit. Curry has proven he is a superstar. How many MVP's does he need to win to convince you he is a great player?

The man could have played in Sacramento and been great.

I disagree. He hasn't close to the player he is today as a rookie much less as a prospect. He had substantial growth and the perfect fit. He evolved on so many categories. 

Passing

Shooting volume 

Ball handling

Defense 

Athleticism 

Finishing

Size

Strength 

Confidence 

He always had the feel for the game offensively, the steals, the BBIQ, and shooting, and the scoring instincts. But he completely and massively improved in the other areas. You can't assume he would be great everywhere because he did great in Golden State. 

9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

You can't assume he would be great everywhere because he did great in Golden State. 

I can and I do. Just because 10 - 15 teams misjudged Leonard and George does not make them any less great. In no uncertain terms, pencil Curry in anywhere as the starting point guard and he becomes great,

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I can and I do. Just because 10 - 15 teams misjudged Leonard and George does not make them any less great. In no uncertain terms, pencil Curry in anywhere as the starting point guard and he becomes great,

While I tend to be more flexible with PG than for Leonard, I say the same. Would Leonard been Leonard if he started his career in New York then San Antonio. I don't know and I won't assume otherwise. He made substantial progress that might not happen in other situations. Same for Draymond Green. 

20 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

While I tend to be more flexible with PG than for Leonard, I say the same. Would Leonard been Leonard if he started his career in New York then San Antonio. I don't know and I won't assume otherwise. He made substantial progress that might not happen in other situations. Same for Draymond Green. 

CP3 and George so far have not won a championship. Maybe Curry and Leonard do not either if they go elsewhere; but no one would be able to hold back their individual greatness.

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

We need better high end depth.

That’s my point but it can’t be rookies and second year players. It’s gotta be guys with some experience like Schlenk said young vets 26 years old.

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

History tells us a good player will be chosen in this draft.  Likely even a multiple time all-star.  It'll just come from an unlikely source

History also tells me the Hawks aren’t gonna choose THAT player 😂 

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

History also tells me the Hawks aren’t gonna choose THAT player 😂 

History also tells us no great free agent is coming here. At least with the draft its our choice.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

No one in that draft felt anyone was going to have a better career than Griffin. Not Harden, not DeRozan and clearly not Curry who had ceiling questions.

Can I tell you something? You can believe me or not, I knew Scurry was the best player in that draft. Personally I had pegged Blake as a bust. I didn’t think Harden would excel like he did. 

But Curry, I knew it. As a Warrior hater at the time, I was rooting for the Suns to trade Amare to the Warriors for Curry as it was a rumor at the time. Didn’t happen. 😞 

I agree there could be players in this draft, we need to hit it otherwise the bust chances may be high in this draft.

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

Or going to the Knicks.

• Like 1