AHF

19 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

You can say we have this for depth as far as guaranteed contracts:

PG - Trae

SG - Huerter/Reddish

SF - Hunter/Reddish

PF - Collins/Bruno

C - Capela/Dedmon

That is eight deep with Bruno and Dedmon being perceived as the weakest links. Like I said, I think Haliburton or Toppin would fit the best. From a free agent standpoint, I have always thought a 3/4 tweener or stretch four would be great.

Job 1 is the draft and free agency; then its going to be really interesting watching LP juggle lineups again. In the playoffs, some teams run 8 deep but in the regular season, 10 deep is pretty normal.

Good example: the Lakers give their number 10 McGee and number 11 Morris 16 and 14 minutes a game.

Bruno and Skal best positions right now is 3rd stringers. Bruno really needs a year in CP so he's fully ready for the backup 5 role on 2021 when Dedmon gone.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Bruno and Skal best positions right now is 3rd stringers. Bruno really needs a year in CP so he's fully ready for the backup 5 role on 2021 when Dedmon gone.

I know Schlenk likes Skal. He said he has since his days in GSW. We will see if he resigns him. LP needs a consistent lineup and he needs to come up with good rotations, You have to feel sorry for Bruno in a way when you see someone like Damian Jones is getting more minutes than him. At least that experiment is over with.

I have liked Haliburton since day one. I have warmed up to Toppin. I also like Hayes due to his size and passing.

• Like 2

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I agree.  So isnt' really the biggest need a backup 4?  I'm not saying draft one but we need someone there. 

3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I agree.  So isnt' really the biggest need a backup 4?  I'm not saying draft one but we need someone there. 

That is my opinion; especially with LP's affinity to play Collins at the five spot.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Speaking of Skal, are we sure he is returning? 

I don't think anyone can be certain on this.  We don't have key information on his healthy, which could be a factor, and don't know what FAs are available to us.  If I had to bet on it, I would bet on him returning since we seem well positioned to keep him at a very low price and he has real upside.  But if TS wants to build a very deep roster and the cap crashes leaving us as one of the few teams with space (both to sign FAs and get other teams out of unexpected luxury tax situations) then TS could very realistically conclude there are better options.  I'm in a wait and see mode on him.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Bring Trez in and play them both up front. Problem solved. :pac:

We can't play Collins 45 minutes just so we can alternate Capela and Trez. We need someone who can fill in for Collins.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

We can't play Collins 45 minutes just so we can alternate Capela and Trez. We need someone who can fill in for Collins.

Where's Dedmon? Wouldn't the primary rotations be:

Starting:Collins(PF).and Capela(C).

Bench: Trez(PF)  and Dedmon (C).

It will vary game to game depending on matchups, foul trouble, time and circumstances in game etc.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Where's Dedmon? Wouldn't the primary rotations be:

Starting:Collins(PF).and Capela(C).

Bench: Trez(PF)  and Dedmon (C).

It will vary game to game depending on matchups, foul trouble, time and circumstances in game etc.

Only if you think Trez is a power forward. LP thinks anyone can play anywhere, so you and him probably agree.

32 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

The biggest need is more high end talent. We don't have a true need outside of shooting from the new players we get in FA to replace the ones we lost this offseason who weren't.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, Buzzard said:

Only if you think Trez is a power forward. LP thinks anyone can play anywhere so you and him probably agree.

LP played Dedmon and Len together with Len at C. I think it would be interchangeable positions with Trez/Dedmon depending on matchups. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

LP played Dedmon and Len together with Len at C. I think it would be interchangeable positions with Trez/Dedmon depending on matchups. 

Trez and Dedmon can clearly play together. They fit on both ends

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Dedmon and Len as the twin towers. I cannot add anything positive to this.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The biggest need is more high end talent. We don't have a true need outside of shooting from the new players we get in FA to replace the ones we lost this offseason who weren't.

^^^I can't say this enough. Regardless of position we need more of this.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

^^^I can't say this enough. Regardless of position we need more of this.

We need better talent on our bench but Trae, Huerter, Reddish, Hunter, Collins, and Capela are our starters and that is 6 deep. One more pick is 7. That leaves 3 spots to fill to get to 10 deep which is pretty normal.

40 million divided by three is 13.3 and that does not include any wiggle room for Collins next season. We can sign some solid players but Harrell is probably getting starters money.

Any kind of bidding war with the Knicks and Hornets is the last thing we need to shore up our bench. Seriously, if we can get Harrell for 13 - 14M a year fire away. But we will still need a quality shooter.

3 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

We need better talent on our bench but Trae, Huerter, Reddish, Hunter, Collins, and Capela are our starters and that is 6 deep. One more pick is 7. That leaves 3 spots to fill to get to 10 deep which is pretty normal.

40 million divided by three is 13.3 and that does not include any wiggle room for Collins next season. We can sign some solid players but Harrell is getting starters money. We cannot afford him alongside Capela.

Any kind of bidding war with the Knicks and Hornets is the last thing we need to shore up our bench. Seriously, if we can get Harrell for 13 - 14M a year fire away. But we will still need a quality shooter.

This is partly true which is why I am likely going to move Toppin to #2 on my Hawks Big Board because I had Okoro there because of the weak FA class of SF while we had a strong FA class of PF but the cost of those PF FAs is much higher too and we need at least three good vets. Everyone realizes Joe Harris is our #2 and to some #1 guy we must sign. After that becomes tough.

Sign Harrell as well but that's the end of our budget. 

Sign Bertrans and it's the same. 

While in this case, we can sign two to three more quality vets. KCP, Teague to a reasonable deal or a new backup PG, another wing like Craig or Kenrich Williams. Resign someone like Skal for cheap. 

So Toppin might be the best play if we don't land Edwards and not Okoro who I been thinking is the best play.

Because even though we have the money, we have a lot of holes. Harrell and Harris or Bertrans and Harris plugs up some of them, Harrell, a lot of them but we need more than that. We need at least 4 more quality vets this offseason. Not including resigning Skal which might be a good play for the 3rd string PF/C role. 

I am still not sure resigning Jeff is a quality vet signing but there's value there especially on offense

42 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

This is partly true which is why I am likely going to move Toppin to #2 on my Hawks Big Board because I had Okoro there because of the weak FA class of SF while we had a strong FA class of PF but the cost of those PF FAs is much higher too and we need at least three good vets. Everyone realizes Joe Harris is our #2 and to some #1 guy we must sign. After that becomes tough.

Sign Harrell as well but that's the end of our budget. 

Sign Bertrans and it's the same. 

While in this case, we can sign two to three more quality vets. KCP, Teague to a reasonable deal or a new backup PG, another wing like Craig or Kenrich Williams. Resign someone like Skal for cheap. 

So Toppin might be the best play if we don't land Edwards and not Okoro who I been thinking is the best play.

Because even though we have the money, we have a lot of holes. Harrell and Harris or Bertrans and Harris plugs up some of them, Harrell, a lot of them but we need more than that. We need at least 4 more quality vets this offseason. Not including resigning Skal which might be a good play for the 3rd string PF/C role. 

I am still not sure resigning Jeff is a quality vet signing but there's value there especially on offense

Before Capela, I was sure we would spend more on one player but he has taken away a huge piece of the pie.

I think you are right and the dilemma may be Harrell and Bertans eats up to much of our budget. Harris might if the Nets are willing to pay a premium to keep him. I think somewhere in the range of 15 million is going to be the most we will pay for any one player.

7 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I think somewhere in the range of 15 million is going to be the most we will pay for any one player.

Quality>Quantity for me.

Give me: 

Trez 

over

2 FA’s

We need more talent. Do we have 6 guys projected to be quality contributors, yes, do we need more, yes. Bring in the alpha and watch everyone play harder.

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

Quality>Quantity for me.

Give me: 

Trez 

over

2 FA’s

We need more talent. Do we have 6 guys projected to be quality contributors, yes, do we need more, yes. Bring in the alpha and watch everyone play harder.

I think Schlenk learned his lesson about not having a deep bench. I think he was even quoted as saying the best teams have one. I look for him to sign at least two decent free agents capable of playing 20 - 25 quality minutes. Quality minutes as a 2nd string starter should the normal injuries occur during the course of a NBA season.

We simply cannot afford to lose someone to injury for a couple of weeks and have a 0 - 10 run if we want the 8th seed. Depth matters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2