• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Talk Draft Picks

AHF

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

We need better talent on our bench but Trae, Huerter, Reddish, Hunter, Collins, and Capela are our starters and that is 6 deep. One more pick is 7. That leaves 3 spots to fill to get to 10 deep which is pretty normal.

40 million divided by three is 13.3 and that does not include any wiggle room for Collins next season. We can sign some solid players but Harrell is probably getting starters money.

Any kind of bidding war with the Knicks and Hornets is the last thing we need to shore up our bench. Seriously, if we can get Harrell for 13 - 14M a year fire away. But we will still need a quality shooter.

I said before, I think we'd only sign 1 'big money'  FA so which ever of Harris, Bertans, Harrell. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I said before, I think we'd only sign 1 'big money'  FA so which ever of Harris, Bertans, Harrell. 

If it’s down to those 3 about the same bucks I pay,

Trez

Bertans

Harris (he’s just older but I like his game don’t get me wrong he’s a more athletic Kyle)

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I think Schlenk learned his lesson about not having a deep bench. I think he was even quoted as saying the best teams have one. I look for him to sign at least two decent free agents capable of playing 20 - 25 quality minutes. Quality minutes as a 2nd string starter should the normal injuries occur during the course of a NBA season.

We simply cannot afford to lose someone to injury for a couple of weeks and have a 0 - 10 run if we want the 8th seed. Depth matters.

It's been said and he acknowledged not doing enough to fill in the bench and fix center this past offseason. So I don't think he'll make that same mistake this offseason. I really think we are in a hreat position to use our cap wisely. I'm hoping multiple teams will be calling to dump decent players along with picks to clear salary. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, Spud2nique said:

You remember the good ole days.. (about 10 years ago) when you could get a Trez for $8 million a year. Now it’s doubled, what the! 😳 

I remember when I thought we could resign DMC for $6 mil, he signed for $15. :blanky:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

I remember when I thought we could resign DMC for $6 mil, he signed for $15. :blanky:

YESSSSS!!! I heard it in the NBA channel and I was like yea right why would he leave us for the raps, then I heard the figure and I didn’t blame him. Crazy spike in money.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

You remember the good ole days.. (about 10 years ago) when you could get a Trez for $8 million a year. Now it’s doubled, what the! 😳 

What about Korver at 8 million a year, who also gave us 30 minutes a game anytime we needed him to. Now Harris is going to get 15M or more to fill a similar role.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

What about Korver at 8 million a year, who also gave us 30 minutes a game anytime we needed him to. Now Harris is going to get 15M or more to fill a similar role.

Worse, Harris can't do what Kyle could do. Kyle's movement is his calling call. His shooting is special as is Harris but Korver movement was damn impactful. 

• Like 4

If we don’t have Trez in our plans then we should look to draft Okongwu. Fine, whatever, coincidentally I’ve been accused of allegedly loving the Africans because I loved OG and Semi that one year and Okoro this year. Call me Spudsai (Masai) but they’ve produced like hell lately. Look at Giannis, Embiid, Siakam etc. 

Anyways this is more about the individual prospect. I like this girthy strong kid with good footwork 🦶. He’s very agile with a quick first step but strong enough to maintain balance in the paint 🎨 and not get bullied out. 

If everyone is throwing out comparisons, then hell hes got the footwork of Ewing! 😊 

When the draft is set, he could be a top 4 guy. Most likely around 4-8 pick but I wouldn’t sleep on him.

Peep Onyeka 👀 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey @NBASupes if we decide to go big in the draft, why do you think 🤔 Toppin is better than Okongwu, both in terms of the NBA game and as a fit for the Hawks? It would be something great if these prospects could go one on one or a workout. I know they don’t do that anymore because of injury and contracts but this would be a 🐕 fight I think.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Hey @NBASupes if we decide to go big in the draft, why do you think 🤔 Toppin is better than Okongwu, both in terms of the NBA game and as a fit for the Hawks? It would be something great if these prospects could go one on one or a workout. I know they don’t do that anymore because of injury and contracts but this would be a 🐕 fight I think.

If both have the JC qualities on offense, I want the one who is a defender.

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Good question. Toppin is a better overall fit but Okongwu is legit. Comparable to Bam Adebayo as a prospect if not clearly better although not the same long term potential. Adebayo had more upside. Toppin has a lot more upside for how we play

Edited by NBASupes
  • Thanks 1

We gotta try and snag this dude if possible. He seems solid all around. Little piece from him.

Okongwu said the talent level in this draft class is vast. He averaged 16.2 points and 8.6 rebounds a game as a freshman this season out West.

“We have a lot of good players in this draft class,” Okonwu said. “Me, [Isaiah] Stewart, [Vernon] Carey, [Daniel] Oturu, I think we all complement each other. We are all aggressive, and we all have a lot of energy and I just think I can defend, and I’m an energy person. I fight for every offensive rebound, I play with energy and I play with a lot of heart. I feel like I really play hard.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1