• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Talk Draft Picks

AHF

5 minutes ago, terrell said:

Yeah Im only looking at Vassel if we trade down to around pick 10-15 and pick up a 1st or something. lol. hes a fringe lottery pick imo..Vassel, Bey, Maxey, etc......

Maybe for this draft. I just don't value 3 and D SGs like that. To me, a SG gotta be able to score at will at the least potentially. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I would like to think that one of our wings Huerter, Reddish, Hunter is THAT guy - none of them have been 'Trae like' busting out the gate to give me the 100% confidence they'll be that guy - I see glimpse in Cam, but.......So there is still some wiggle room in who will rise and cement themselves.

Good healthy competition - see who separates themselves?

All 3 of them have a...hang on, now being told it's Cam 👏

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Maybe for this draft. I just don't value 3 and D SGs like that. To me, a SG gotta be able to score at will at the least potentially. 

Vassel will be a defensive menace imo..Incredible defensive IQ for a youngster.. He also shot 41% from deep..

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

So that takes Huerter out of the equation...Hopefully that guy is Cam.. EDwards might fit the bill(score at will), but IM not sure about his defense with Trae..PLus he needs the ball in his hands...

Edited by terrell

5 hours ago, macdaddy said:

So is Edwards the clear #1 now?  If we can get him i think we have to.   

I was trying to knit pick when breaking down his game. But he’s a stud. I think I’d take him #1.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AHF said:

I think it is almost certain that in some form the diminished revenues for the 2019-20 and 2020-21 seasons will be reflected in the a significantly lower amount of money available for 2021 free agency than is currently projected.

That's a given.

• Like 1

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I was trying to knit pick when breaking down his game. But he’s a stud. I think I’d take him #1.

I just think about a team that has Trae / Cam / Collins / Edwards.   That's some problems the opposition.  Heurter, Hunter, Capela can just do what they do in support.

• Like 3

On 5/15/2020 at 12:46 PM, NBASupes said:

I don't see special. I do think he is as good on offense as Millsap, Horford and SAR. Even though Sap and Horford contribute a lot more on offense than Collins does, Collins is world class at what he does. The best in the NBA and maybe the best of all time. But at the end of the day, they are all 8.5 on offense. 

I guess that's what I mean by special. He is a dependent player, but he's top 3 PnR big in the league at worst. I might take KAT over him due to his passing, but Collins rolls hard and pops really well. He's so good at it that I think we should take some time to try to make it work, cuz we're not getting a more dynamic offensive big next to Trae anytime soon.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Keep the pick 

One of the biggest benefits in finding and developing a star player in the draft is the ability to have long-term control over that player. Sure, in the player empowerment era, stars seemingly have forced their way out of organizations whenever they please. But if an organization ends up finding a superstar in the top five and everything works out perfectly, that team could have control of that player for nearly a decade.

Young only will make $26.5 million and change during his first four years in Atlanta, which, obviously is a discount because he’s one of the best players in the league and undoubtedly has set himself up for a max-level extension when his rookie deal expires. Zion Williamson, last year’s No. 1 overall pick, will make more than $44.2 million during his first four seasons with New Orleans.

Trade down

One thing Schlenk consistently has preached is talent can be found anywhere in the draft. Three of the Hawks’ most important pieces of their future have come at No. 10 (Reddish) and No. 19 (Collins and Kevin Huerter). The Hawks are strong believers in their scouting department, although it should be noted Schlenk said last month that he didn’t get to scout in person as much as he has in the past two seasons because he spent more time around the team this season.

Trade out of the draft 

Even though the Hawks have clearly stated goals for next season, it doesn’t mean that they should start making win-now moves for the sake of just trying to be a bottom seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs because some people in the organization might be impatient, including the team’s 21-year-old star.

There’s no playbook on how long a rebuild should and shouldn’t take, but it does require patience. And it’s not a negative to have several cost-controlled players on the roster because it allows the Hawks the opportunity to continue adding more talent around Young. The Hawks have completed the biggest step of a rebuild, which is finding and developing a superstar. They have theirs in Young, and now it’s about creating a roster around him that can have sustainable success for many years instead of rushing things for the short-term.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Yesssss!!! 💡 on again! 🥳 

Aye stud2nique, I finally got to listen to the draft specials with Fran Frascilla.  Really good stuff.

Don't tell Supes what I'm about to say 'cause I'm about to praise his Okoro guy.

It was pretty telling on the episode where they talked about Edwards.  Basically said one guy (Okoro) got markedly better by the end of the year, and one guy didn't (Edwards).  One guy has won at every level (AAU, HS, NCAA), one guy has lost at every level.

Supes might be onto something.  Well .. we know he's on something but that's another conversation. 😁

(C'mon laugh, supes.  I kid, I kid.)

• Haha 2

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, kg01 said:

One guy has won at every level (AAU, HS, NCAA), one guy has lost at every level.

Is that a great comparison though.  One guy went to a school with an already winning program and one guy went to one with a program that has been terrible for a while.   He gets some points for taking on a challenge right?   

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Is that a great comparison though.  One guy went to a school with an already winning program and one guy went to one with a program that has been terrible for a while.   He gets some points for taking UGA's money?   

Fixed.  The answer to your question is no, btw.

The win/loss thing at the NCAA level is a 'thing' but it's not the only thing people should look at in comparing the two.  Edwards has tools that make him a better "prospect" than Okoro.  Okoro is the better player today but his tools suggest he may not be able to reach the ceiling Edwards could.

The fact that he got better could be a testament to his work ethic.  It could also simply be an illustration that Edwards isn't aware of "how" he should be working.  That's common for a player his age, so it's a 'thing' but not the only thing.

It should all be taken into account.  As should Edwards' HS coach's comments from earlier this year which didn't necessarily paint Crean or Edwards in the greatest light.

When it comes to assessing his future, I think we should compare to what people said about guys like Garnett/Kobe when they were coming out.  There were no questions about their work ethic or drive.

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Fixed.  The answer to your question is no, btw.

The win/loss thing at the NCAA level is a 'thing' but it's not the only thing people should look at in comparing the two.  Edwards has tools that make him a better "prospect" than Okoro.  Okoro is the better player today but his tools suggest he may not be able to reach the ceiling Edwards could.

The fact that he got better could be a testament to his work ethic.  It could also simply be an illustration that Edwards isn't aware of "how" he should be working.  That's common for a player his age, so it's a 'thing' but not the only thing.

It should all be taken into account.  As should Edwards' HS coach's comments from earlier this year which didn't necessarily paint Crean or Edwards in the greatest light.

When it comes to assessing his future, I think we should compare to what people said about guys like Garnett/Kobe when they were coming out.  There were no questions about their work ethic or drive.

I hear ya and I don't really have that strong of an opinion this year.   I don't know that much about these guys esp Okoro.   But Edwards certainly has talent that most guys will never have.  If he's lazy or whatever then maybe it won't matter but how much better was UGA this year because Edwards was on the team?  I'd say tons better.  

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Aye stud2nique, I finally got to listen to the draft specials with Fran Frascilla.  Really good stuff.

Don't tell Supes what I'm about to say 'cause I'm about to praise his Okoro guy.

It was pretty telling on the episode where they talked about Edwards.  Basically said one guy (Okoro) got markedly better by the end of the year, and one guy didn't (Edwards).  One guy has won at every level (AAU, HS, NCAA), one guy has lost at every level.

Supes might be onto something.  Well .. we know he's on something but that's another conversation. 😁

(C'mon laugh, supes.  I kid, I kid.)

😂 Supes loves them all ok, let’s be real and so do I!!! (Where dat shine at girl!) 😐 

I really like the nba radio Fran stuff. The guy may have never touched a ball (basketball..) in his life but he sure does have a way with words don’t he? As soon as he’s done breaking down a prospect, more than not I tend to like the prospect.

Okoro and Okongwu were both on my list. Still like Okoro but if we trade down to 9-12ish pick. 

We have a lot of difficult decisions to make because we constructed a team that has a bunch of guys that cover a bunch of areas, we just don’t know how good they are going to do it. They show a ton of promise for sure but do we take one last swing at a young player in the draft of trade down or out? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I hear ya and I don't really have that strong of an opinion this year.   I don't know that much about these guys esp Okoro.   But Edwards certainly has talent that most guys will never have.  If he's lazy or whatever then maybe it won't matter but how much better was UGA this year because Edwards was on the team?  I'd say tons better.  

Eh, debatable.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/georgia/

• Moderators

There have been other players whose college teams didn't do much like Klay Thompson and Ben Simmons who went on to be studs in the NBA.  I would evaluate the scouting if I were TS.  Would be nice if Edwards led to the team to greatness but not all studs succeed at that in college.  

Heck, our own Peter Maravich was 27-25 over his first two years in college.

• Like 4