• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Talk Draft Picks

AHF

The Hawks have so many options. I'll say go BPA. None of these guys will start year 1, finally. If that's LaMelo, draft him. At the end of the day, having two Trae Young's is MUCH better than just one. 

My Hawks big board is this: 

1. Edwards

2. Toppin

3. Okoro

4. Haliburton

5. Deni

6. LaMelo

7. Okongwu

8. Wiseman

9. Cole Anthony

10. Vassell

I am great with any of the top 4. I am fine with top 7. I am just okay with 8-10. At the end of the day, none of these guys need to be in the core year 1. They just need to be prospects in year 1 like John was for us his rookie year. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The Hawks have so many options. I'll say go BPA. None of these guys will start year 1, finally. If that's LaMelo, draft him. At the end of the day, having two Trae Young's is MUCH better than just one. 

1. Edwards

2. Toppin

3. Okoro

4. Haliburton

5. Deni

6. LaMelo

7. Okongwu

8. Wiseman

9. Cole Anthony

10. Vassell

I am great with any of the top 4. I am fine with top 7. I am just okay with 8-10. At the end of the day, none of these guys need to be in the core year 1. They just need to be prospects in year 1 like John was for us his rookie year. 

I could live with any of those players except Cole Anthony. However, If we get a top 2 pick, Im taking Edwards or Lamelo based off upside alone..

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Why? 

Oh cuz you have Melo and Gwu lower than I do. I haven’t made a list but Deni ahead of those two seems like a reach. To each their own though, just a matter of the eye 👁 of the beholder. 

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Im really 😡 at you for this.

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Scust at Vassell being anywhere near someone's top 5 much less over Toppin. 

Finally, we're getting to the real draft talk!!!

tenor.gif

• Haha 3

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

What?  Man what is going on with this stuff.  The dude has played in 5 games.   He has 25 career points.

He hasn't proven anything yet.  But the promise is there especially given the minimal commitment it took to get him.  The difference between Bol and most second round picks is that he was expected to go much higher so there isn't the same excuse a GM has for passing on him that you have with breakout second round picks who weren't really on people's radar as prime prospects.  If you remember, he was actually invited to the green room.

We added 1.88M for passing on him.  That could look very bad in time.  

I really think selling picks is a fool's game if there is anyone of real interest on the board.

Does anyone know how much cash Miami got for flipping the pick to Denver?  Just curios since they also got a pick.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NBASupes said:

1. Edwards

2. Toppin

3. Okoro

4. Haliburton

5. Deni

6. LaMelo

7. Okongwu

8. Wiseman

9. Cole Anthony

10. Vassell

Ok, ok .. I've ripped your stuff apart for long enough.  Here's your turn.  For methodology, I ordered them based more on a 'median outcome' thought process with fit for us worked in.  The official kg Hawks big bored (yes, bored):

1. Ball

2. Hayes

3. Okoro

4. Avdija

5. Wiseman

6. Haliburton

7. Okongwu

8. Vassell

9. Edwards

10. Williams

We agree that none of these guys need to be a contributor in year 1, which is part of the reason I hope we can trade this pick for actual help.  I'm ok with any of the top 3.  The rest are 'stick you in the gleague, hope you become something' projects to me.

Ball is #1 because he's the only one with an actual elite skill.  The fit with Trae is basically secondary playmaker, allow Trae to play off the ball more.  Defense is ..... well, the coaches would just have to figure it out.

And, if it's any consolation, Toppin was like #11 for me. 🤠

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Ok, ok .. I've ripped your stuff apart for long enough.  Here's your turn.  For methodology, I ordered them based more on a 'median outcome' thought process with fit for us worked in.  The official kg Hawks big bored (yes, bored):

1. Ball

2. Hayes

3. Okoro

4. Avdija

5. Wiseman

6. Haliburton

7. Okongwu

8. Vassell

9. Edwards

10. Williams

We agree that none of these guys need to be a contributor in year 1, which is part of the reason I hope we can trade this pick for actual help.  I'm ok with any of the top 3.  The rest are 'stick you in the gleague, hope you become something' projects to me.

Ball is #1 because he's the only one with an actual elite skill.  The fit with Trae is basically secondary playmaker, allow Trae to play off the ball more.  Defense is ..... well, the coaches would just have to figure it out.

And, if it's any consolation, Toppin was like #11 for me. 🤠

You keep saying you hope we trade the pick for immediate help.  Our top 6 guys are pretty much set.  The draft pick will probably be 7th.  What help are you getting to play 15 - 20 mins  a game.  That's why you take the talent now and bank on the improvement of our young guys.

I'm leaning more and more towards bringing in Milsap for that veteran role.

Edited by marco102

4 minutes ago, marco102 said:

You keep saying you hope we trade the pick for immediate help.  Our top 6 guys are pretty much set.  The draft pick will probably be 7th.  What help are you getting to play 15 - 20 mins  a game.  That's why you take the talent now and bank on the improvement of our young guys.

I'm leaning more and more towards bringing in Milsap for that veteran role.

I hear you.  And in normal years, I'd agree.  But I think this draft is terrible both for now and future.  All these guys are flawed even more than you'd normally expect.  So the idea of banking on improvement is lost on me this year.  That's probably the only place we differ.

I see this draft as hot actress syndrome.  Sometimes you see an actress on TV and you think she's a beauty but, in reality, there's like 100 ladies in the mall right now that are better looking.  But the actress is on TV so she gets the benefit of the doubt. (this was heavily edited to remove offensive content, btw.)

All these guys are getting overrated only because they happen to be in the draft.  In reality, they're not that great.  But we have no choice but to rate them highly because ... they're in the draft, who else are we gonna rate?

Just pause and let these kg musings sink in, folks.  Bathe in them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I hear you.  And in normal years, I'd agree.  But I think this draft is terrible both for now and future.  All these guys are flawed even more than you'd normally expect.  So the idea of banking on improvement is lost on me this year.  That's probably the only place we differ.

I see this draft as hot actress syndrome.  Sometimes you see an actress on TV and you think she's a beauty but, in reality, there's like 100 ladies in the mall right now that are better looking.  But the actress is on TV so she gets the benefit of the doubt. (this was heavily edited to remove offensive content, btw.)

All these guys are getting overrated only because they happen to be in the draft.  In reality, they're not that great.  But we have no choice but to rate them highly because ... they're in the draft, who else are we gonna rate?

The way I see it - as much as the draft doesn't project as having high end talent, I just don't have any interest in the names bandied about to trade the pick for. They're either making too much money, they're on 1 year deals or they just don't have upside to make a trade worthwhile.

To get the better players it'll involve trading one of the core 5 along with the pick (which I'm not totally against in the right deal). I just haven't seen that right deal presented, yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I'm not confident that there won't be any impact players who come from this draft.  My biggest worry with it is that we have such limited tape on most of these guys that identifying who will bust and who will boom is much more difficult than most years.  Whether it is the level of competition these guys have faced or injury issues or eligibility, etc. it seems like a LOT of the top guys are coming with tape somewhere in between a high school player and a college freshman, with several much closer to someone who jumped straight from HS.  Arguably, some of these may actually have less exposure than people who jump straight from HS because they can't even work out as a team wants to see them due to the Covid situation.  That creates a big black box scenario which makes the draft much more difficult to assess for scouts and GMs.  Maybe the draft does suck.  Maybe there will be a couple of allstars.  Tougher call to make this year.

• Like 3