• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Talk Draft Picks

AHF

25 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm not confident that there won't be any impact players who come from this draft.  My biggest worry with it is that we have such limited tape on most of these guys that identifying who will bust and who will boom is much more difficult than most years.  Whether it is the level of competition these guys have faced or injury issues or eligibility, etc. it seems like a LOT of the top guys are coming with tape somewhere in between a high school player and a college freshman, with several much closer to someone who jumped straight from HS.  Arguably, some of these may actually have less exposure than people who jump straight from HS because they can't even work out as a team wants to see them due to the Covid situation.  That creates a big black box scenario which makes the draft much more difficult to assess for scouts and GMs.  Maybe the draft does suck.  Maybe there will be a couple of allstars.  Tougher call to make this year.

It's all bizarre.  For example, and I'm not trying to be funny 'cause you're a cats fan, I heard some dudes talking about Maxey's tape.  They basically said his UK tape should be disregarded in favor of his AAU tape, which showed he's a good shooter.

I'm sure someone from this class will be an all-star at some point.  I just wouldn't bet on missing out on any all-timers from this class so the risk of trading out is lower for me.

30 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Take Antman or Ball if you get #1 or #2. If you get #3 through #7 take the player that is the best fit. 

Agreed..I might just take Ball and keep him instead of trading down like Supes reported..... lol..How many draft picks do we need?   With the way the NBA is going, you need two lead guards out there...And the Hawks could definitely use a bigger PG on the team..

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2

On 8/11/2020 at 9:22 AM, macdaddy said:

What?  Man what is going on with this stuff.  The dude has played in 5 games.   He has 25 career points.

That kid has talent.  Obvious talent on offense.

You know what would've been nice?  For us to keep one of those 2nd round picks last year, and draft both Bruno and Bol, and have them as project bigs.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

You know what would've been nice?  For us to keep one of those 2nd round picks last year, and draft both Bruno and Bol, and have them as project bigs.

This. Can't describe how pissed I was that we sold 3 2nd rounders well before the night of the draft without knowing who could slide. Only draft criticism I can make towards Travis. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I'm not sure how we could have developed both of them. Bruno alone is having a hard enough time getting the minutes he needs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, warcore said:

This. Can't describe how pissed I was that we sold 3 2nd rounders well before the night of the draft without knowing who could slide. Only draft criticism I can make towards Travis. 

Travis had no business selling those picks earlier. I really hoped he learned from doing that. This idea of too many young players is silly. A lot of teams have a lot of young players. They just got key vets, we don't. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So did Yi.  Bol doesn't move the needle for me.  He might end up being ... something, but I doubt he'll ever be anything other than a curiosity.

The 'story' here is we shouldn't have sold our picks.  I think we all agree on that.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Atlanta Hawks | Average pick: 4.4

No. 1 pick odds: 12.5% | Top-three pick odds: 36.6%

If they land in the top four, they should pick ...

• No. 1: Isaac Okoro

• No. 2: Deni Avdija

• No. 3: Onyeka Okongwu

• No. 4: James Wiseman

Most likely pick: Isaac Okoro | F

With several building blocks in place, the Hawks probably will look to add a player who can contribute immediately and accelerate the franchise's move back to respectability.

For the NBA's third-worst defensive team, that end of the floor has to be a major priority, which might lead the Hawks to look at Okongwu and Okoro, probably the two best defenders in the draft.

Given the Hawks have yet to see Clint Capela -- whom they acquired at the trade deadline -- play a game for them, Okoro's versatility on the wing is probably a better fit, especially his ability to defend point guards and help the Hawks hide Trae Young. -- Givony

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/29344259/nba-draft-lottery-potential-picks-odds-every-team

This article may be useful both for understanding where our pick is likely to fall (the odds part) as well as discussion around Givony's board for us which I'd say is likely to be an unpopular one with a lot of posters here, myself included.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AHF said:

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/29344259/nba-draft-lottery-potential-picks-odds-every-team

This article may be useful both for understanding where our pick is likely to fall (the odds part) as well as discussion around Givony's board for us which I'd say is likely to be an unpopular one with a lot of posters here, myself included.

Okoro around the 5 and later range literally matches what the purse of the org is right now. If you literally look at 5 to 9, this is the order. 

Many think Atlanta including myself will skip drafting a PG outside of Ball as they are targeting one for the move up. Atlanta is at #4. Most expect Toppin, Edwards and Ball to be gone by this point. This is 

My concern about L.Ball is he's not a good shooter, so how is he going to play off the ball with Trae? Also, does he want to be great? He's been told his whole life he's god's gift to basketball. In many ways, a selfless unheralded grinder like Okoro is a safer pick.

Edited by bleachkit

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

And we was going to do it as well if we landed at #2.

Ja was/is a much better prospect than Ball. Ja can really do it all. Explosive athlete with legit guard skills. And unlike Ball he wasn't coddled and pampered, he's loves the game. I'm not big on Ball's personality/background profile to be honest. 

5 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Ja was/is a much better prospect than Ball. Ja can really do it all. Explosive athlete with legit guard skills.

And unlike Ball he wasn't coddled and pampered, he's loves the game. I'm not big on Ball's personality/background profile to be honest. 

Yep, tier 2 prospect compared to a tier 3.5 prospect. 

Lavar is not a coddler, I can't cosign that 2nd statement at all. 

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

I'm still struggling with this Okoro pick!  How is he a better fit next to Trae than say Cam?  And do writers really think that he is starter material?  If he starts, what will the line up look like?

Who said he's a better fit than Cam? 

Yes, they think he can be a star. I agree with them.

Trae

Cam

Okoro

Collins or Hunter

Capela

• Like 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Who said he's a better fit than Cam? 

Yes, they think he can be a star. I agree with them.

Trae

Cam

Okoro

Collins or Hunter

Capela

Why would you want Okoro at the 3? Isn't he like 6'6"? And why is there such little regard for Hunter on this MB