• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's Talk Draft Picks

AHF

Just now, AHF said:

Eh.  37.5% fg% overall.  26.7% on 2’s 16’’ and out and 34.7% on 3’s.  

Still a liability with his jumper and still not nearly as good as Bowen shooting the 3.  But his improvement is why I said he probably belongs in the same box as Bowen.

I should have clarified threes in to some degree. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Bowen could really only hit one type of three, the corner three. 

Agree but the key was that he shot it effectively so that teams had to mark him.  With Smart, it is pretty debatable whether you need to guard him at all or are better letting him shoot a wide open 3.  Bowen shot 40% from the corner.  Very effective shot.  

Smart shot 32.3% when the defender was 4-6 feet away from him and 35.8% when the defender didn't even bother staying within 6 feet and left him wide open.  The efg% on those shots is:

48.45% when the defender drifted far enough that he was 4-6 feet away

53.7% when left wide open

Boston as a team had a 53.1% efg% (which doesn't include the impact of drawn fouls which happen on shots other than wide open jumpers) so if you can reduce everyone else's effectiveness on offense by cheating away from Smart and he doesn't really make you pay, it is a viable strategy to leave him.  

Bowen shot a .611% efg% on 3's his last 7 seasons.  You don't need to a great defender on him, but you can't let him get that open look or you are giving up a great shot.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Watching the Playoffs....we need one of our wings Huerter, Cam or Hunter to be THAT Guy!!! We need a guy from that position that is a self creater and bucket getter. Who will it be? Or who is that guy in this draft?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Watching the Playoffs....we need one of our wings Huerter, Cam or Hunter to be THAT Guy!!! We need a guy from that position that is a self creater and bucket getter. Who will it be? Or who is that guy in this draft?

Cam most likely with his skills etc.

Draft, Anthony Edwards has that potential but I think he's a couple of years away.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

🥱 isn’t ur hubby hungry? Get in there girl! 😏 

27 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Having never gotten a great bounce in the lottery (other than Trae) i think this might be the year.  You know the year we don't want it and there's no franchise player at the top.  That's the year the nba goin throw us a bone.   

But i'll take it and hope ant man busts out.  

Elite bounce 

Luka or Trae

Got us Cam Reddish 

Dope!

• Like 1

So I looked at the draft lottery and how it pertains to us and how we have fared in the last 20 years. Here are the findings. 

+/- denotes pick change pre and post lotto.

So for example in the 2000 draft, we had the 5th overall worst record but lost one spot (-1) in the draft lotto positioning.

2000 (-1) DerMarr Johnson

2001 (+2) Pau Gasol (SAR)

2002 (0)

2003 (0)

2004 (0) Josh Childress

2005 (-1) Marvin Williams

2006 (-1) Shelden Williams

2007 (+1) Al Horford

((10 year playoff run))

2018 (+1) Trae Young

2019 (-3) Jaxson Hayes (D. Hunter)

We were bumped up 2 spots in 2001, one spot in 2007 and one spot in 2018. The NBA hasn’t really helped us.

So I calculated the difference in (+/-) in this thing and since 2000, we are (-2) spots owed to us by the NBA to make it (0), if they wanna set things at even (0) with us and moved us up 2 spots, we are picking 2nd this year.

My prediction:

Hawks get the 2nd pick in the draft. 

But honestly, they need to let us win the damn thing one year and this is our last year in it! (It better be)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice article from the Athletic. I left out his analysis of the picks which is pretty good. 

https://theathletic.com/2002985/2020/08/18/five-clicks-and-five-picks-simulating-the-lottery-one-final-time-for-the-hawks/?source=dailyemail 

Simulation 1 

Screen-Shot-2020-08-17-at-2.00.32-PM.png

1. Atlanta: Anthony Edwards, G, Georgia

2. Minnesota: Obi Toppin, F, Dayton

3. Golden State: James Wiseman, C, Memphis

4. Cleveland: Isaac Okoro, F, Auburn

5. Detroit: LaMelo Ball, G, Illawarra Hawks

Simulation 2 

Screen-Shot-2020-08-17-at-2.01.27-PM.png

1. New York: LaMelo Ball, G, Illawarra Hawks

2. Detroit: Anthony Edwards, G, Georgia

3. Golden State: James Wiseman, C, Memphis

4. Phoenix: Isaac Okoro, F, Auburn

5. Cleveland: Deni Avdija, F, Maccabi Tel Aviv

6. Minnesota: Obi Toppin, F, Dayton

7. Atlanta: Tyrese Haliburton, G, Iowa State

Simulation 3 

Screen-Shot-2020-08-17-at-2.01.55-PM.png

1. Golden State: James Wiseman, C, Memphis

2. Charlotte: Onyeka Okongwu, C, USC

3. Atlanta: Anthony Edwards, G, Georgia

4. Detroit: LaMelo Ball, G, Illawarra Hawks

5. Cleveland: Isaac Okoro, F, Auburn

• Like 1

I want to break my fence sitting ways and go on record with a prediction. 

If TS ends up trading up into the mid first for a PG, I bet he's going for RJ Hampton. 

Size and can play both guard positions, on or off ball, with or without Trae. Skilled, but still young enough to mold, and has pro ball experience.