Let's Talk Draft Picks

AHF

• Moderators
12 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Atlanta has marked off three players I've heard: 

Wiseman

Ball

Edwards

Does "marked off" mean they think those players won't be available or they would pass on them for any of the other players you have listed?

43 minutes ago, AHF said:

Does "marked off" mean they think those players won't be available or they would pass on them for any of the other players you have listed?

Usually they mark players off they don't think will be available or they don't think is an ideal fit so idk. I know they love Ball so I would think his is about being available 

44 minutes ago, AHF said:

Those are the supposed top 3, so maybe Schlenk is playing contrarian. Hawks are picky about personality and character though, none of them are squeaky clean in that regard.

I'm liking this guy for us if we can somehow land another late lottery or mid 1st...(We should Give Boston a call.. I heard they like Okungwu)

Okoro or Toppin + Maxey then sign a vet Wing and we're straight...

Trae/Vet/Maxey

Cam/Huerter/Maxey

Hunter/Vet/Okoro

Collins/Skal/Bruno

Capela/Dedmon/Skal

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, warcore said:

My only problem with Maxey is that there are many players better than him. 

Given what we've seen recently from Kentucky players that went to the NBA, he may be worth the investment.

Edited by AtlHomer
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, AtlHomer said:

Given what we've seen recently from Kentucky players that went to the NBA, he may be worth the investment.

Maxey looks exactly like the kind of player that would flourish in the NBA despite flying under the radar. That was some impressive highlight clips. Situation matters with a prospect like him.

• Like 1

The reason a lot of people are busts and other players fly under the radar is the zone in college basketball.  The zone makes a lot of big men look way better than they are (they don't have to move their feet) and hides a lack of athleticism from SF/PF. College basketball is more about cerebral play and patience. Defense, (especially at the 3-5) is played very differently in college. Offensively, players can't showcase their 1v1 talent, the pick n roll or handling switches. Defensively, players don't have to be mindful of the lane, help defense or switching.  It is a different game, requiring a different kind of athlete.

7 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Maxey looks exactly like the kind of player that would flourish in the NBA despite flying under the radar. That was some impressive highlight clips. Situation matters with a prospect like him.

I need to go back and watch his film. See what you see. I'll admit I'm not very familiar.

7 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Strong for his size, plays under control. Shoots from way too low from 3. Needs serious work on his outside shot. Feet are good, arms, pacing is all wrong on the shot. Shoots like his arms are short. Plays under control, eyes up. Plays smart but is not explosive so is limited. takes good angles at the basket, bad angles on the perimeter. Is obviously open to coaching as many of the things he does are the result of coaching, not instinct. Gets caught playing too close the basket without the ball.

I would call him a 25 to 35 player who needs a bit of development.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, thecampster said:

The reason a lot of people are busts and other players fly under the radar is the zone in college basketball.  The zone makes a lot of big men look way better than they are (they don't have to move their feet) and hides a lack of athleticism from SF/PF. College basketball is more about cerebral play and patience. Defense, (especially at the 3-5) is played very differently in college. Offensively, players can't showcase their 1v1 talent, the pick n roll or handling switches. Defensively, players don't have to be mindful of the lane, help defense or switching.  It is a different game, requiring a different kind of athlete.

I need to go back and watch his film. See what you see. I'll admit I'm not very familiar.

No 5 seconds rule more than the zone defense for bigs. 

Also a lot less ground to cover than the NBA.

The level of athlete at 3-5 is superior in the NBA 

It's a lot harder for ISO based guys in college than the NBA

College is better at showcasing skill and worse at showcasing raw physical unless it's polished like MJ or Zion

4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Strong for his size, plays under control. Shoots from way too low from 3. Needs serious work on his outside shot. Feet are good, arms, pacing is all wrong on the shot. Shoots like his arms are short. Plays under control, eyes up. Plays smart but is not explosive so is limited. takes good angles at the basket, bad angles on the perimeter. Is obviously open to coaching as many of the things he does are the result of coaching, not instinct. Gets caught playing too close the basket without the ball.

I would call him a 25 to 35 player who needs a bit of development.

Maxey is a system player to me. He is one of those guys who would flourish with Luka Doncic but I am not sure he would ever be a good lead PG. While guys like him eventually flourish in the NBA, many bust when they land in the wrong situations 

47 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Maxey is a system player to me. He is one of those guys who would flourish with Luka Doncic but I am not sure he would ever be a good lead PG. While guys like him eventually flourish in the NBA, many bust when they land in the wrong situations 

Just from the short bit of video I watched on him, I say he's a guy you can take a risk on in the early second round.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2910623-nba-draft-buzz-if-top-pick-isnt-traded-sources-expect-lamelo-ball-to-go-first

One of the better rumor mill articles I've read lately. Confirms the Edwards is sliding I've heard, the Wiseman as low as 8 (they say 9) I've heard...Minny wants to trade out of 1 that we've been telling people for weeks.  Overall good stuff with off the record quotes.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, thecampster said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2910623-nba-draft-buzz-if-top-pick-isnt-traded-sources-expect-lamelo-ball-to-go-first

One of the better rumor mill articles I've read lately. Confirms the Edwards is sliding I've heard, the Wiseman as low as 8 (they say 9) I've heard...Minny wants to trade out of 1 that we've been telling people for weeks.  Overall good stuff with off the record quotes.

maybe i'm just biased but something seems fishy to me about the Edwards criticisms.  I'm wondering if 'committment to winning' and 'professionalism' are somehow code for something else.  

I'd try to trade up for Deni but not sure what we'd give up.  I'd love to have Edwards but Deni seems like he checks more boxes for us.   

• Moderators
3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Don’t think he’ll ever be a PG.  He is a short SG.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

maybe i'm just biased but something seems fishy to me about the Edwards criticisms.  I'm wondering if 'committment to winning' and 'professionalism' are somehow code for something else.  

I'd try to trade up for Deni but not sure what we'd give up.  I'd love to have Edwards but Deni seems like he checks more boxes for us.   

It's probably just immaturity.  He clearly does not interview well.  It's not fishy to me, it's basically confirmation of what I've been saying for months.

Honestly, you may have answered your own question.  Think of why Deni "checks more boxes".  That's probably part of your answer.